Democracy without God?

Catholicism is Europe is just about gone. George Weigel gives a talk about why Europe has lost it’s Christianity. Can we in the US be next. Let’s keep our guards up in America. I believe Our Holy Mother in Fatima asked us to pray, pray, pray. youtube.com/watch?v=lKUQGUmgsjs The video is 45 minutes long.

Thank you.

It’s amazing how much I learn about Europe here from Americans.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought one or more of America’s founding fathers said that democracy does not work without values and morals. To me that makes sense. Without people having some sort of moral compass to self-regulate themselves you are left with a society where government needs to regulate everything down to the tiniest detail because no one can be trusted to act decently. Can you have a moral society without God? Possibly, but I don’t have the philosophical background to argue that.

“Religion is as necessary to reason as reason is to religion. The one cannot exist without the other. A reasoning being would lose his reason, in attempting to account for the great phenomena of nature, had he not a Supreme Being to refer to; and well has it been said, that if there had been no God, mankind would have been obliged to imagine one.” George Washington

A case could well be made that the world is starving for God, especially in the western democracies. We know the mid-east is ready to offer them one.

Perhaps the one that would end their democracies?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.