Democratic louisiana sen. Mary landrieu defeated

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SENATE_LOUISIANA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-12-06-21-17-12

**DEMOCRATIC LOUISIANA SEN. MARY LANDRIEU DEFEATED

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – Republican Rep. Bill Cassidy defeated Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu on Saturday, denying her a fourth term and extending the GOP’s domination of the 2014 midterm elections that put Republicans in charge of Capitol Hill for the final two years of President Barack Obama’s tenure.

With Cassidy’s victory, Republicans will hold 54 seats when the Senate convenes in January, nine more than they have now.

Republican victories in two Louisiana House districts Saturday - including the seat Cassidy now holds - ensure at least 246 seats, compared to 188 for Democrats, the largest GOP advantage since the Truman administration after World War II. An Arizona recount leaves one race still outstanding.

Two sidebar stories to this election were (Before and After :wink: ):

Santorum campaigns for absent Cassidy, slamming Obama

washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/12/03/santorum-campaigns-for-absent-cassidy-slamming-obama/

AND (possibly):

Obamacare: President Hospitalized
Obama, complaining of sore throat, diagnosed with acid reflux
WASHINGTON Sat Dec 6, 2014 5:26pm EST

reuters.com/article/2014/12/06/us-usa-obama-throat-idUSKBN0JK0RA20141206

drudgereport.com/

The 114th Congress begins January 3, 2015. President Obama will give the State of the Union Address on January 27th.

By then he will probably cease to be speechless.

I would suggest starting a new thread or two with those other links.

As far as the LA election goes, I’m glad Cassidy won. He is clearly the better choice for the state of LA, the country and the Church.

The antic that the Democratic incumbent played of racing ahead with the Keystone Pipeline (which should be built, BTW) was pathetically political.

The one thing the GOP should note is that the incumbent did drive around the entire state to court voters, and it may have kept the margin from being even larger.

It will be interesting though with oil price less than $66 a barrel and continuing to drop, if the new Senate will make the pipeline a top priority. It may put more people out of work than put new ones on it. My guess is that the Senate will pursue it, if just on principle.

In the waning days of the campaign Landrieu finally sought and got Obama’s endorsement (after she like many other Democrats this year “ran away from him” initially).

That was probably to get out her base. She also used another high powered Democrat to boost her re-election.

Cassidy countered with Rick Santorum pinch hitting for him (while he went to DC to vote in the “lame duck” Congress). Santorum, who won the GOP’s Louisiana primary in 2012 “was well received”. Perhaps relief pitching would be the better analogy. Anyway, Cassidy and the GOP team won and now rule the Senate 54 - 44 - 2.

arklatexhomepage.com/story/d/story/former-presidential-candidate-stumps-for-bill-cass/70564/zQfyA_3-akyDWde0s_jIoQ < TV video of Santorum and Cassidy’s wife campaigning in Shreveport the day before the election. Landrieu’s supporters picketing the church where the Cassidy rally was held probably didn’t help her as much as it hurt her IMO.

:thumbsup:

I agree, glad she lost. The democrats have gone so far left and its nice to see these people loose.

I was very happy to see this news of her loss?

thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/226237-republicans-tie-landrieu-loss-to-hillary

**Republicans tie Landrieu loss to Hillary

On the heels of Sen. Mary Landrieu’s (D-La.) crushing loss in Louisiana Senate, Republicans were quick to tie her defeat to the Democratic Party’s heir apparant: Hillary Clinton.

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus crowed that Louisianans had “rejected the Democrat agenda and the Obama-Clinton policies that have produced higher healthcare costs and job-killing regulations.”

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), a likely Republican presidential contender in 2016, also sought to hang the loss around Clinton, the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination.

Hillary Clinton has an “unlikability factor”. It’s what caused many in her own party to rush Barack Obama forward to stop her “inevitable” candidacy in 2008. She may have raised funds for Landrieu … but she tends to raise more hackles IMO.

“Elections have consequences.” - Obama

I have definitely learned this to be true the past 6 years! :frowning:

However, since the results of the last election did not go how Obama wanted, I wonder what our consequences will be the next 2 years?

ProVobis,
How can it put more people of out of work? Plus, didn’t you know it was a long term investment, and the short term price drop is mostly irrelevant. The price of oil will rise again :slight_smile:

The fact that OPEC is afraid, and really doesn’t wan’t us to do it should make it a priority for the Senate.

Now I must ask, were those talking points you just copied, without really reading them?

Very refreshing!:thumbsup:

I think it’s all about Bill, he’s the one who energizes the base and get’s people to pull out their checkbooks. But that bubba halo isn’t enough to win the presidency outright. Dems want him as the President, not First Husband

The antic that the Democratic incumbent played of racing ahead with the Keystone Pipeline (which should be built, BTW) was pathetically political. OTOH maybe it was like an Ebeneezer Scrooge moment on her part (the GOOD Scrooge), where she decided to do a good thing or two before her time was at an end. At any rate her very public support does lend a bit of bipartisanship to the issue. And maybe the long overdue project will get passed. Should Obama veto it … it’s an issue in the 2016 election per the affected states (and per the economy). IMO.

I’ve just started watching House of Cards (US). It helped me to see the whole keystone pipeline vote was a completely staged event. How else to explain why Reid allowed the vote, but they ended up one Dem short? It was staged to allow a few select Dems to go ‘on-record’ as being pro-jobs and pro-industry, without any risk of passage.

The antic that the Democratic incumbent played of racing ahead with the Keystone Pipeline (which should be built, BTW) was pathetically political. OTOH maybe it was like an Ebeneezer Scrooge moment on her part (the GOOD Scrooge), where she decided to do a good thing or two before her time was at an end. At any rate her very public support does lend a bit of bipartisanship to the issue. And maybe the long overdue project will get passed. Should Obama veto it … it’s an issue in the 2016 election per the affected states (and per the economy). IMO.

I’ve just started watching House of Cards (US). It helped me to see the whole keystone pipeline vote was a completely staged event. How else to explain why Reid allowed the vote, but they ended up one Dem short? It was staged to allow a few select Dems to go ‘on-record’ as being pro-jobs and pro-industry, without any risk of passage.

oil-price.net/en/articles/oil-price-fall-threatens-us-oil-production.php

Sure at some point oil prices will rise again. But GEO-PETROLEUM, a deep-water exploration company I invested in back in 2000 or so, went belly up waiting for the price rise. Lots of jobs were lost there. There will be a lot more if the price stays below $80 a barrel for too much longer. Don’t get me wrong; I like cheap energy too but there are a lot of moving parts to this economy. They shouldn’t be playing politics with this. And the banks and the Fed need to butt out as well.

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.