Democrats Block Senate Coronavirus Package

Democrats Block Senate Coronavirus Package

US Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (L) and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (R) hold a press conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, May 22, 2019, following a meeting with US President Donald Trump at the White House. (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP) (Photo credit should read …

SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images

SEAN MORAN

22 Mar 2020 Breitbart News

Democrats blocked a coronavirus package on Sunday that would provide economic relief to businesses and Americans suffering from the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Senate GOP package failed, with 47 votes in favor and 47 against, which fell 13 votes short of what was necessary to advance the legislation.

An angry Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) slammed Democrats for voting against the bill and blamed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) for nixing bipartisan negotiations over a coronavirus package.

“I want everybody to fully understand if we aren’t able to act tomorrow, it will be because of our colleagues on the other side continuing to dicker when the country expects us to come together and address the problem,” the Senate leader said on Sunday.

McConnell added that there was bipartisan consensus among “regular members of the Senate, not in the Leadership office, not in the speaker’s office for goodness sakes.” . . . .

1 Like

I heard Nancy has her own package to present? This is not a good time ro
play political games. Nancy is trying to overcome the bad press from the
impeachment days I think.

2 Likes

Trying not to make this a business windfall for big donors

1 Like

nancy playing politics while Americans suffer.

6 Likes

Nancy? This is the Senate.

3 Likes

Democrats are the advocates of non corporate America.
The voice of families.
Thank God for Democrats

1 Like

They are the voice of families they don’t kill in the womb, yes. Great people.

10 Likes

Unfortunately the unborn become the excuse to undercut the credibility of helping families. We just identified why I could never be Republican.

2 Likes

And which big donors are those? The airlines which employ thousands of people, the cruise lines which do the same?

5 Likes

You espouse all the wrong beliefs in far too many posts around here. That’s why you couldn’t be a Republican.

The fact that the Senate dems would use self-quarantined senators as an opportunity to to stall legislation like this is about as evil and petty as it gets. They are no better than people selling life-saving medicine for 100 times market value.

Keep defending their virtue though, it speaks well of you.

13 Likes

Is that in the Gospel

Burning and gassing Jews became an excuse to undercut the great infrastructure in Nazi Germany. When you get in bed with such demonic, abject evil, you can’t really say “I know, but…”

7 Likes

Except if they don’t, the misery meter redlines for regular ordinary Americans. That’s what it means to be right to me. I offer no apology.

You are talking about Arian nationalism. With it’s appeal to folk stories and mythic heros. And it’s scapegoats.
I see the embrace of the platform of the " ALT-RIGHT." Was that your point?

The airlines will not employ one janitor as a result of giving them cash. So let’s eliminate that explanation. We have lived this example after 9/11. Demand hires a janitor. Not money. They have nothing constructive to do with money if the planes are empty. Except pay executives.

1 Like

They are over-playing their hand here thought. Families will be hurt by this. McConnell’s failing was not working out a quick compromise beforehand, something both parties hated, but could swallow.

Really??? Is everything abortion? Or Nazis??? This sort of inability to focus on issues is one thing that is plaguing our political discussion, that and playground insults like “R-A-T”.

1 Like

I thought of this. They could bolster the shipping industry, especially of medical supplies, in payment of the money the receive.

2 Likes

Our president brings his business acumen into this .As he stated yesterday we need to keep business’ afloat in order to keep people employed.He sees the bigger picture,as well as the need for immediate relief for those who had their jobs pulled out from beneath the.Thank God for our president.

9 Likes

Trump made a good point on this bail-out:

Trump warns against corporate stock buybacks in coronavirus bailout#

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-warns-against-corporate-stock-buybacks-in-coronavirus-bailout-185028021.html

President Trump said on Thursday that he supports measures that would prohibit corporations that receive federal bailout money in the coronavirus emergency from buying back shares of their own stock. That is also the position of congressional Democrats — and some Republicans — who want assurances that corporations will use government bailout funds to support workers, not bolster their earnings reports.

A corporation accumulating its own shares is a popular means of bolstering its stock price, but the practice does little for long-term corporate health. Nor does it have any benefit for workers — airline mechanics, for example, or hotel employees. A Bloomberg analysis conducted last week found that the “biggest U.S. airlines spent 96 percent of free cash flow last decade on buying back their own shares.”

Trump is right to stand with Democrats on this matter to incorporate safeguards in the legislation to be sure that the money helps employees.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the Dems are listening to our a president on this matter.Now they just need to quit playing their political games and get this relief package done.

8 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.