Democrats Funded a 287 Mile Wall in Jordan - LAST YEAR! But Won’t Fund Border Wall in US!

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/01/democrats-funded-a-287-mile-wall-in-jordan-last-year-but-wont-fund-border-wall-in-us/

Democrats Funded a 287 Mile Wall in Jordan - LAST YEAR! But Won’t Fund Border Wall in US!
by Jim Hoft
Thursday, January 10, 2019
Democrats Funded a 287 Mile Wall in Jordan – LAST YEAR! But Won’t Fund Border Wall in US!

Nancy Pelosi argued this week that “walls are immoral.”
Chuck Schumer called President Trump’s stand against open borders a “manufactured crisis!”
But less than one year ago Pelosi and Schumer approved funding on a 287 mile long border wall — in JORDAN!

2 Likes

SEC. 9011. Up to $500,000,000 of funds appropriated by this Act for the Defense Security Cooperation Agency in ‘‘Operation and Maintenance, Defense-Wide’’ may be used to provide assistance to the Government of Jordan to support the armed forces of Jordan and to enhance security along its borders.

I fail to see how this means that they built a “wall” in Jordan.

I would be careful with taking things too literally from a site that clearly has no interest in giving a well balanced account of world events. Remember that our place is not to support political activism, but is to bring people to salvation [CCC 765-768]. Criticise specific events or policies of democrats yes, but let’s not get tided up in knots and choose sides… when our only allegience should be to Christ, who will persist long after those two parties have been forgotten by history, and long after the United States and every other country is merely a historical footnote.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised.

1 Like

Maybe this is what conservatives and other patriotic Americans are trying to prevent. Yet, I know, if it is God’s plan…

2 Likes

Possibly. But as Christians we are called to be part of a different Kingdom. I’m often concerned by how people get wrapped up in both the conservative and liberal media machines, and whipped up into a frenzy at expense of their faith. I like to remember Matthew 7:13-14 when I feel myself being carried along by the same current:

Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Did you just mention “Heaven’s” GATE???

2 Likes

… the cult?

HUH? If Heaven has a cult–count me in. That’s where I want to go…

1 Like

Also, did St. Joan of Arc die for her country? It’s not a foreign concept…

1 Like

I thought you were somehow referencing these! :sweat_smile::

1 Like

Sadly politics IS the religion of many Christians here in the US…even among Catholics it depends on whether you’re a conservative Republican or a liberal Democrat as to which parts of Catholic teaching they agree with or don’t agree with that fit in with their political beliefs…I’ve read where some Christians believe that the anti-Christ is a political system…I wouldn’t be surprised…you only have to look at the this country (US) to see how divided it has become…it’s no different here on CAF…

2 Likes

sadly…(10 characters)

3 Likes

There is a difference between “fighting to free a country from foreign oppression” and being tied up and spun around by media companies acting as puppet masters.

Don’t forget that Joan of Arc was fighting as part of the Hundred Years War… what we see nowadays on the internet is nothing comparable.

1 Like

Matthew 12: 22-28…“a kingdom divided among itself cannot stand”…sounds pretty much like the present day USA…

1 Like

There is another thread here in the world news forum…“Texas landowners prepare wall fight…Trump to visit border”…read the website highlighted…government sues Catholic diocese to gain access to survey for border wall…Catholic diocese says it opposes border wall because it’s against Catholic teaching and violates it’s 1st amendment right of freedom of religion …I wonder how many Catholics here on CAF will agree with the government because of their political belief versus their Catholic belief…quite a few I suspect

2 Likes

What Catholic doctrine says the government can’t survey land? For that matter, what actual doctrine says no country can have a wall at its borders?

One can argue whether a wall is necessary for protection of a people all day long, or even that a people should be defended. But to identify a temporary (they voted in favor of it before) Democrat political position is mandatory on Catholics is a misuse of the Catholic faith.

There have been lots of defensive walls in history, including the walls of Constantinople that kept Islam at bay for centuries and the walls of Vienna that kept the Turks from overrunning Christendom. But never has the Church declared as an article of faith that walls protecting national boundaries are immoral.

7 Likes

If they did and I would probably agree with the government in this case, why would that surprise you? You have seen how many topics there are over the years with people twisting and defending existing laws that support things that violate Catholic doctrine. The milk toast lukewarm opposition people pretend to have to abortion in defending the Democrat support of abortion and abortion laws on here. Disagreeing with a diocese over a land survey doesn’t even rise to a doctrinal challenge.

1 Like

I love how the headline makes it sound like no Republicans voted for the bill.

1 Like

You missed the point entirely…

Democrats have also supported barriers of various kinds in the US, including last year. And have strongly supported border security in other ways. This is not news.

But what is Trump’s “wall”?
Have the projects to be funded under the current WH request been specified?
Can anyone here point to the specifics of what the $5b plus are to be spent on?

Take a look here for some answers.

WATCH LIVE as I take to the @SenateFloor to tell folks the truth about @POTUS’ shutdown. #mtpol https://t.co/R1hN5ffYH4

— Senator Jon Tester (@SenatorTester) January 9, 2019

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.