Demon Attacking me in my sleep!

I need your help. Every once and a while i have sleep paralysis frequently every week and I am sick of it. Lastnight before I fell asleep I told God i believe he will protect while I sleep. Well this was one of the worst…I was sleeping on my side and suddenly when I fell asleep or whatever I coulnd;t move and it felt like someone lifted my pillow under my head and put it on my head with pressure. I got scared… luckly I could breathe. But I am so sick of it…I am trying to become a catholic and have to wait a year to be baptized but. I remember i posted a similer situation and someone gave me a prayer, and that prayer made it all stopped for like a month or more. but i also have my rosary i tried that but no luck. Somebody please pray for me or help me what to say.

Hey Pink Aquarius
I have had some experience with this same sort of thing. I’m going to just be straight with you so do not be offended. Do not approach religion as a means of gain, like God is your personal vending machine, just insert the proper prayer formula the correct amount of times and out comes your package. Those who persevere **to the end **will be saved. God is God and we are his creatures and we owe him our love and adoration. But he wants a loving relationship with us. Now having said that if you are looking for something a little more tangible then try this formula for living and see what happens:
1-turn away from sin (**especially serious sin **but even venial sin)
2-Pray to our Blessed Mother right away when this thing happens and do not stop praying
3-St. Joseph too! He is the terror of evil spirits!
4-When and if you do become Catholic then Confession and the Eucharist should become your most prized possesion (the Pearl of great price.)Frequent them as often as you can

Dear P.A.84,

As HH JP2 once said, “Be not afraid.” I know that sounds easy from me, but I’ve had sleep paralysis too.

S.P. is perfectly natural. It is caused by our bodies’ muscle tone being released while we are asleep, so our limbs don’t thrash around when dreaming; as this would waste energy and possibly be dangerous.

Normally, our bodies reverse this condition before our minds awaken. But sometimes the mind wakes up first; and then you can’t move, because the muscle tone is gone. If you feel breathless, it’s because the body muscles used in our breathing work the same way; but rest assured, you can breathe, just more slowly (like you do when asleep).

So again, do not be afraid. S.P. is not at all spiritual. It is one of the mysteries of our human bodies; if it happens again, go back to sleep (if you can) and then your muscles will wake up before “you” do.

GOD Bless and ICXC NKA!

Saint Michael Prayer

Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits
who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.  	

You have my prayers. Ave Maria!

I strongly urge you to get ahold of some properly blessed St. Benedict medals, and wear one or several, perhaps attached to a scapular.

This will be a strong help to you in protecting you regarding this. The exorcism blessing is a great help against demons.

Also, the more habitually you pray, the better condition you will be in. An act of contrition, the St. Michael prayer, the Ave Maria and the Our Father are some keys, if you haven’t learned the by heart yet, do so… and very short prayers, like ‘Precious Blood of Jesus save me.’

When you habitually pray, even when you are half asleep such as in those times attacked, the mind goes to prayer which protects you all the more.

Do not be afraid! God loves you and these trials can be borne. :slight_smile:

I agree with the other post(s). You should confess any sin you have commited (all of your sins), and walk repentantly. What repent of sin means is to stop sinning. In many cases for a new Christian, you will have to do your research on what sins you are committing because you probably are sinning in areas where you didn’t know you were sinning. Does this make sense? Your local church should be able to direct you in this.

But most importantly, and this has not been mentioned yet, is the fact that, the name above ALL names is that of Jesus Christ. Call His name out loud and in His name command the spirit to depart.

I have had demon attacks in the night when I was sleeping - very similar situations. In all cases as soon as I could say Jesus out loud, they were gone. What CAN happen is the demon will hold onto your vocal cord and prevent speech, but continue to try and it will come out. Then they have to go.

God Bless you.

I did some reading on sleep paralysis not that long ago - it’s actually an interesting concept.

One paper I read said that sleep paralysis is when you are dreaming, but you are dreaming that you are lying in bed. When in this state, you feel like you can’t move at all because your brain is partially lucid and when in this sleep cycle you don’t move your arms and legs. At least, not easily.

It’s also a dream state - that means anything can happen. You can be lying in bed, experiencing sleep paralysis and abe lincoln can walk in the door, or it can be as subtle as noticing that the time on your alarm clock is wrong, or something you put by your bed isn’t there. It’s also possible to have a nightmare that your pillow is smothering you - especially if you have sleep apnea or any kind of breathing issues. My husband once had an instance of sleep paralysis, and everything was the same. He only realized it was a dream when he saw that the angle of our window was off. I’ve only had it once, but it was on the fringes of reality. I was able to recognize it as a dream right away - many can’t. There are varying degrees of it too. Although, I admit, my instance with the “between dream and real life” experiences that are negative can be really brutal: falling, screaming, being chased, shot, stabbed, or ripped apart by demonic creatures. My theory is that if you have a great amount of anxiety, fall asleep slowly, and dream vividly, you will experience this. Since I was treated for a stress disorder, I do not have these experiences anymore. Now, they are all rather pleasant. I’m usually floating, soaking in a warm bath, or “falling” has been replaced with “flying”

Pray for your fear, and seek a priest to talk to about it. I also think you need to talk to a medical doctor and possibly participate in a sleep study. They can help people with this kind of stuff. Also try to rid yourself of fear, stress, and anxiety before sleep. Pray, meditate, and focus on God and his love for you. This can be an incredible help! I speak from experience! :thumbsup:

I would begin by contacting a doctor to see if there are any medical symptoms or a diagnosis. Demonic possesion is very serious but some times its not demons at all.

Spiritual exercises

1. Make sure there is a crucifix in your room.
  2. Holy Water placed on you forhead in the sign of the cross, and sprinkled in your room. is also a good way of keeping the devil away (advice from Saint Teresa of Avila).
  3. Litany of the most precious blood
  4. Impor the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
  5. Say your morning prayers when you wake up and your Evening prayers before you go to sleep.

Remember that the devil has no power except that which God has permitted him to have. His temptations and physical attacks are can only go as far as God allows them to go and God will never give you anything you cannot handle. Keep your faith strong!

"Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer. Behold, the devil will cast some of you into prison that you may be tried: and you shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful until death: and I will give thee the crown of life"–Revelation 2:10

Remember the devil is scary but he is not powerful.

God Bless!

Litany of the Most Precious Blood of Jesus

V/ Lord, have mercy.
R/ Lord, have mercy.

V/ Christ, have mercy.
R/ Christ, have mercy.

V/ Lord, have mercy.
R/ Lord, have mercy.

V/ Jesus, hear us.
R/ Jesus, graciously hear us.

V/ God, the Father of Heaven,
R/ have mercy on us.

V/ God, the Son, Redeemer of the world,
R/ have mercy on us.

V/ God, the Holy Spirit,
R/ have mercy on us.

V/ Holy Trinity, One God,
R/ have mercy on us.

R/ for ff: save us.

Blood of Christ, only-begotten Son of the Eternal Father,
Blood of Christ, Incarnate Word of God,
Blood of Christ, of the New and Eternal Testament,
Blood of Christ, falling upon the earth in the Agony,
Blood of Christ, shed profusely in the Scourging,
Blood of Christ, flowing forth in the Crowning with Thorns,
Blood of Christ, poured out on the Cross,
Blood of Christ, price of our salvation,
Blood of Christ, without which there is no forgiveness.
Blood of Christ, Eucharistic drink and refreshment of souls,
Blood of Christ, stream of mercy,
Blood of Christ, victor over demons,
Blood of Christ, courage of Martyrs,
Blood of Christ, strength of Confessors,
Blood of Christ, bringing forth Virgins,
Blood of Christ, help of those in peril,
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened,
Blood of Christ, solace in sorrow,
Blood of Christ, hope of the penitent,
Blood of Christ, consolation of the dying,
Blood of Christ, peace and tenderness of hearts,
Blood of Christ, pledge of eternal life,
Blood of Christ, freeing souls from purgatory,
Blood of Christ, most worthy of all glory and honor,

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world.
R/ spare us, O Lord

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world,
R/ graciously hear us, O Lord.

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world,
R/ have mercy on us.

You have redeemed us, O Lord, in your Blood.
R/ And made us, for our God, a kingdom.

Let us pray. Almighty and eternal God, you have appointed your only-begotten Son the Redeemer of the world, and willed to be appeased by his Blood. Grant we beg of you, that we may worthily adore this price of our salvation, and through its power be safeguarded from the evils of the present life, so that we may rejoice in its fruits forever in heaven. Through the same Christ our Lord. R/ Amen.

A St.Benedict’s crucifix is a good thing,I have one around my neck always,but I would,in this case,go with the “medical” (SP) explanation. Bless You.

Thank you guys so much. Before I fell asleep I prayed to all the saints and mostly Saint Michaels to protect and I put my rosary underneath my pillow and i left the church channel on. Hopefully I can continue to sleep peacefully. thank you. god bless

I used to have the same type of experience waking up feeling paralyzed with fear that there is someone or something in the room with me. This was before I had any real faith in Jesus, but one time I decided to pray the Our Father with my eyes still closed (I remembered it from when I was a kid) and almost as soon as I started praying an incredible calm came over my body.

I had learned about this while listening to a late night radio talk show where they were discussing this sort of thing and the lady who was the guest/expert on the matter said that prayer always seems to help in these cases. I said two more Our Fathers and asked God to protect me while I sleep and I slept very well. I don’t think it ever happened again either.

There was also a time when there were noises coming from the roof/attic of the house at night and first we thought it was just some squirrels or some small animals but at times it sounded like a heavy foot stomping. It bothered me so much one night that I knelt down and started praying the Our Father loudly. The noises stopped halfway through the first Our Father and I went ahead and said a couple more and noticed that the noises did not come back so I then got some holy water from my bedroom and sprinkled it around the house asking God to please bless the house while I did it and the noises have never returned. One thing I should tell you too is that the noises started when I was getting interested in ghosts and watching those ghost hunter shows on tv. I quickly stopped my interests in that stuff.

I think there’s a medical explanation for this. Your body “paralyses” you when you are asleep to stop you sleep walking. Sometimes your mind can wake up while your body is still in this state. It’s no problem, you just need to recognise what is going on, relax and go back to sleep. :thumbsup:

While I’m not sure whether your complaint is purely natural (ie. sleep paralysis) or spiritual (ie. demonic attack) or a mixture of both (which I suspect), my advice would be to recite the “Hail Mary” in your head until it eases.

I’ve been harassed demonically while asleep or in bed, particularly during the early days of my Christian walk. I still remember something grabbing my throat out of thin air, and the bed shaking with the struggle, with a heavy pressure bearing down, on a few occasions.

That was a long time ago, but from time to time I cop some demonic harassment. Most of the time I just ignore it as I’ve had so much of it I think I’ve built up a certain degree of “immunity”. But if its persistent, then I find a simple repeated “Hail Mary” in my head seems to help.

I don’t think I’ve ever had sleep paralysis, although there has been a couple of occasions when I’ve woken up and couldn’t move, so maybe I have.

I used to get episodes of sleep paralysis frequently, and sometimes it was very frightening, I would feel Satan choking me, or sitting on my chest; other times it was benign and I would think my husband was walking around or talking to me. I was under a great deal of stress during this period of my life, and undergoing a clinical depression. I also was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Once I received medical treatment, these episodes stopped.

If they are as frequent as you say, you might consider seeking medical help, you may possibly have a sleep disorder. Also stress and anxiety can cause this, I was told. These things should be ruled out first, because if you do have a medical condition, it needs treated, or the problem might not be resolved.

Of course we should always pray, but it should not be assumed that Satan is behind this until natural explanations are ruled out. The Church always looks to rule out natural or medical explanations first. If you just assume it is the work of the evil one without first investigating to see if there is a medical or psychological problem, you could do yourself harm.

I went through some spiritual attacks in my sleep before I was baptized too, and later on before I became Catholic (but that was in a different way, during the day).

I recently ordered this from the Rose Scapular Company and it just arrived in the mail today… rosescapular.net/StAnthony-Scapular-Brief-88888.htm Do you think maybe getting some sort of sacramental like this could help? There’s also the St Benedict cross, which is sold in most Catholic bookstores. There’s also the Green Scapular of Our Lady.

As for prayers, the only ones I can think of are the St Michael prayer, Hail Mary, Divine Mercy chaplet, Guardian Angel prayer…

I hope you find something

God bless!

Is it possible that a demon could use sleep paralysis to attack people, use the medical problem for his chance to attack people. Could he not use natural things as this to work on his side?

You know, before you come to the conclusion that this is indeed a demonic attack, you may want to tell your doctor about this. He/she may want to order a sleep study just to make sure you aren’t experiencing some kind of sleeping disorder.

We have the Church to guide us here. Whenever they are investigating supernatural occurrence, they always investigate thoroughly as to whether there are natural explanations first. The Church has the wisdom of 2 millenium to guide us. Listen to her.

Not judging here, but you may want to examine the (your) past very carefully and think about the possibility of the following: a) have you ever, even if only ‘joking’ or in a group situation ‘for fun’, called upon an ‘entity’ or ‘ghost’? b) have you ever used a Ouija board or practiced ANY form of occult practice, or consulted with a palm reader or other ‘spiritualist’? c) do you have a family history of witchcraft or do you have friends who dabble or take seriously anything having to do with the occult? d) do you practice yoga or have you had a Reiki massage or acupuncture treatment? e) do you have new age objects in your house or your bedroom, dragons or fairies or dolphins or even posters of images that are fantasy? f) has anyone given you an antique, or do you have an antique bed or other old object that’s been given to you, handed down, or that you purchased?

Every night before going to bed call upon the Precious Blood of Jesus to cover and shield you, within and without. This isn’t magic or superstition ~ even the very Name of Jesus is powerful as He is the very source of grace and healing and will deliver you from every evil. Also, don’t forget that if you truly believe in Jesus then you have His authority to order the demons to leave and leave you alone. You can cast them out of your life, your bedroom and your house in His Holy Name. Demons fear the His Holy Name and you DO have authority over demons and Satan himself. You don’t have to tolerate their attacks but you must also cast out and renounce anything or any reason they have to hang around.

I think it is very possible. Do I have proof? No.

even mental illness, I believe, can be used by demons for their own cause, again proof? No. but we must be ready.

OP, I am praying for you.

Dana

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.