Demon Possesion

Mods if this is in the wrong place please place in the appropriate place.

QUESTION.

Please see this thread first.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=2503449#post2503449

Now if you read the link she says she is possessed by the demons that was in

“ed, the medical treatment of Anneliese stopped and the rites of exorcism began, which were carried out secretly in the bedroom of her parent’s home during one-hour sessions. Demons who possessed Anneliese Michel allegedly claimed to have been the demons who posessed Judas Iscariot, Nero, Cain, and Adolf Hitler as well as the spirits Belial, Legion(demon).1”

Is this possible? And if it is does that mean there is a chance Judas and Hitler and the rest are in heaven if this is true?

I guess I asked a stupid question because no one wants to answers or has an opinion? :eek:

Maybe no one knows.

Can a demon enter your soul if you are in a state of Grace? I wouldn’t think so. Hence, if Hitler were possessed, he wouldn’t have been on his way to heaven at the time of his possession.

On a second note, “Legion” was many demons, not one.

stmichael.pair.com/exorcimschurch.htm

I found this website that may help a bit.
On another note I have read where the possesed person does have many manifestations of different demons along with the demons that posessed Hitler and the rest that have been mentioned.
I dont think being in a state of Grace really matters, although it does help to keep posession, obsession or oppression at bay. If God alllows a person to be possesed then it will happen no matter what state we are in. That could have been the case with Anneliese I dont know. She was a devout catholic.
There are other reasons though why a person would become possesed as well.

You mean one can be possessed by the devil at the same time that the Holy Spirit dwells in your soul?

What’s up with that?

Pure Divine Permission
Clearly, nothing happens without divine permission, but God never wills evil, suffering, or temptation. He gave us freedom and allows the existence of evil, but knows how to turn it into good. When he gives the demon his permission to torment us, he does so to strengthen us in virtue, as in the biblical example of Job, as well as of many blesseds and saints. We must keep in mind that diabolical harassment in itself has nothing to do with the state of grace of its victims.

I guess thats what it looks like doesn’t it. The devil can never have control over our soul if we dont let him.

I don’t have a source, so I may be way off, but I thought I heard somewhere that a demon can possess your body, even if your soul is in a state of Grace. A demon can only possess your sou if you give it permission to- at which case you would then be out of a state of Grace, having sinned?

Especially when you are invloved with anything occcult. That opens you up for possible obsession opression and or possesion.

But when you are someone like Padre Pio or Mother Teresa (they both experienced many unusual things of demonic nature) then that is something that maybe God has allowed, to sanctify them even more.

[quote=QuietTimes]Especially when you are invloved with anything occcult. That opens you up for possible obsession opression and or possesion.
But when you are someone like Padre Pio or Mother Teresa (they both experienced many unusual things of demonic nature) then that is something that maybe God has allowed, to sanctify them even more.
[/quote]

But you are assuming that a demonic attack is the same thing as demonic possession. I would offer the opinion that this is what Blessed (?) Padre Pio and Blessed Mother Teresa suffer.

I don’t see how your soul can be in a state of Grace and you can be possessed. The Church teaches that God does not dwell in our soul when we are in a state of mortal sin, how could God dwell in our soul if we are possessed.

I do, though, accept that God may allow it, in order to ultimately strengthen us. But I would think that we would be un-graced before we could be possessed.

Hey guys…Im no expert but i did a huge report about this subject. God can let this happen to great holy ppl. Many saints have had possessions. We don’t know why but God allowed it for a greater good.

Also, the demons lie, they may or may not be judas, hitler, or whoever they claim to be. An exorcist above all needs to discern things.

That is actually incorrect. You can read the church handbook on excorcism which more or less encompasses the official guidance of the church on this matter, beyond that the rest lies in the form of church official records.

No saint is possessed at the time of their death. POSSESION is a state of being whereby the body AND soul are under demonic influence in a condition lacking a state of Grace. Persons like Padre Pio suffered demonic physical attacks against their bodies, but in no way succombed to the influences of demonic persuation.

there is a big difference between possession and harassment.

Saints WILL be harassed by demons. Satan doesn’t like people being saintly. He and his demons will try to tempt them, put obstacles in their way etc. As awful as such things may be, it is not possession. See Job! God allowed Satan to harass Job but Satan never “possessed” Job he just tortured him. God wouldn’t allow Satan to possess Job.

Possession what it sounds like. It allows the demons to “possess” you. To be in control of you. To own you like a child owns a toy. Way worse than harassment. If you are in God’s will (or as Catholics like to say, in a state of Grace) and haven’t given Satan permission to possess you then he can’t. (BTW permission can come in many forms including occult involvement and refusal to repent of sin.)

This makes sense. Christians need be be careful because there is a lot of stuff out there that is occult related but may not seem like it. Getting involved with that stuff will only lead to harm.

THanks but this is straight from Gabriel Amorth’s book “An Exorcist Tells his STory,” if you would like me to take a quote from it i would be happy to do that for you. There were 2 SAints taht JP2 canonized that were possessed in their lives as Saints. Thanks~ Oh and I never said “at the time of their death” And it wouldn’t matter anyway, the demon doesn’t inhabit the soul, but the person’s will.

Totally irrelevant. 100% of the saints (less Mary, of course) at some time were in a state of sin in their lives and still overcame it. Praise God!!!

Thanks~ Oh and I never said “at the time of their death” And it wouldn’t matter anyway, the demon doesn’t inhabit the soul, but the person’s will.

Our will and our soul are not mutually linked? All sins that we commit, through our will, affect our soul.

This is from the AAA section…

Hi,

In his book, “Interview With An Exorcist” Fr. Antonio Fortea states: “Only the body is susceptible to demonic possession. A demon does not reside in—or in some way ‘possess’—the soul of the person. In all circumstances, the soul continues to be free and incapable of being possessed.” ( Page 72, # 64)

This should settle the matter.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Please see the thread below where I posted a response (all the way at the bottom) to the question of Anneliese Michel. I think it’s highly unlikely she was posessed.

forums.catholic.com/showthrea…49#post2503449

Since making that post, I’ve discovered 2 hours of audio recordings of her exorcism on some European websites. While scary and distrubing, etc. it only supports my suspicions. She never speaks any language other than her native German and she sounds and acts way too much like Linda Blair in “The Exorcist”

:confused:

But…

Isn’t there something known as …“Transgenerational Demons”…???

I don’t know what a “Transgenerational Demon” is, but the original post was right. The Devil cannot control our soul unless we let him.

A sin is a sin only if we willingly perform it and know that it is a sin. If the devil is controlling us, against our will, than we cannot be sinning.

Sadly, our own sins are our own fault.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.