Demonic Influence - need advice!

I’ll be as brief as possible. I have good reason to believe that there is something of an evil nature in the house in which I currently reside, with my father and his wife.

Getting a priest in to bless the house would be ideal, but right now, it’s not a possibility. My parish priest isn’t even allowed in the house, much less to bless it.

Is there anything that I can do as a lay-person?

Advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Can you bring in Holy Water? I find it helpful if I sprinkle Holy Water on doorways windows and in all the rooms. If you can get some blessed salt this might also be helpful to sprinkle on Window sills and in door passages. I really wish that I could be of more help. I can keep you in prayer, though.

-Meximo

When St. Benedict was trying to build on a monastary on a mountain that was formerly used for satan worship, satan tried scare St. Benedict and his monks by talking to them really loud. St. Benedict told his monks to make the sign of the Cross whenever this would happen. They did and satan fled immediately.

My parish priest isn’t even allowed in the house, much less to bless it.

What is this? Why?

Sincerely, I do not believe in possessions not that the devil would possess a house. There must be another explanation.

As you do not elaborate, I cannot explain either. But I simply do not believe. I have never seen any example of intelligeble explanations.

Honestly I do believe that demonic activity is far more common then people think BUT I don’t believe it’s always the answer either.

In this home, are you stressed? Could what you believe is demonic activity be, instead, manifestations of stress you may be experiencing? I’m not saying you’re crazy or even imagining things but stress can do strange things to people without them even knowing it!

That said, if you truly believe there’s demonic activity going on, bury yourself in prayer. Call upon Michael the Archangel and try to find some peace. You belong to the Good Shepard. No one can snatch you from His hands.

Why is the priest not allowed in your house?

Google up “Catholic Spiritual Warfare Prayer” and have a look through them. Prayed with faith, they can be very powerful. The “Hail, Mary” is also a powerful prayer against evil, as is the prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel. One of the spiritual warfare prayers was particularly effective some time back, when I experienced some evidence of oppression.

Spirits can indeed “infest” a house or other physical location. The most common form of their presence is directed at individuals, but they are known to frequent places - yet their purpose remains the same. Here are links to a couple of articles. The first is an interview with an exorcist Priest, and the second is about the nature of the demons themselves as well as of demonic influence.

regnumchristi.org/english/articulos/articulo.phtml?id=14318&se=364&ca=118&te=782

holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/guests/tomhoopes/darkbackward.asp

Very Interesting.

Jesus Christ dealt with them.

Mark 1:23-26
And at once in their synagogue there was a man with an unclean spirit, and he shouted, ‘What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are: the Holy One of God.’ But Jesus rebuked it saying, ‘Be quiet! Come out of him!’ And the unclean spirit threw the man into convulsions and with a loud cry went out of him.

Matthew 8:28-32
When he reached the territory of the Gadarenes on the other side, two demoniacs came towards him out of the tombs – they were so dangerously violent that nobody could use that path. Suddenly they shouted, ‘What do you want with us, Son of God? Have you come here to torture us before the time?’ Now some distance away there was a large herd of pigs feeding, and the devils pleaded with Jesus, ‘If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs.’ And he said to them, ‘Go then,’ and they came out and made for the pigs; and at that the whole herd charged down the cliff into the lake and perished in the water.

Holy Water and Blessed Salt. Both are good sacramentals against the evil one.

Most folks know about holy water, but many may not have heard of blessed salt.

Here’s a couple of good articles on it:

catholic2.tripod.com/salt.htm

miraclerosarymission.org/salt.html

Develop a strong relationship with St. Michael. Get a St. Michael Chaplet and pray it every day. Ask Him to protect and pray for all those in that home.

Also, try to get a blessed St. Benedict Medal and keep it in the home. Sprinkle Holy Water around the house, and keep praying.

Ask the Lord to always be with you and your family. Ask the Saint, especially St. Michael to pray for you and to cast out all the demons away from you in Jesus’ name.

Jumping to the conclusion that your house/your mother/your cat is demoniacally possessed is not only silly, it’s a gross violation of Occam’s Razor. Does it happen? Yes, but very rarely.

If you really, really think there is some kind of “demon” in your house, call a priest. None of us can help you online.

Agree. I think there is some discord here that might be misconstrued as demonic activity in the home.

Most telling is the comment that a priest would not be allowed in the home to Bless it.

Certainly, prayer is recommended. But, I feel that there are temporal stresses in the home.

quote=Arlai

My parish priest isn’t even allowed in the house, much less to bless it.

quote=Pfaffenhoffen
What is this? Why?

good question

Firstly, thank you to the nice people who provided the advice and links. I really appreciate it.

As for the rest of the comments… who mentioned posession?! I said influence, ie. opression - not posession.

As for why the priest is not allowed in here… like I said, I live with my father and his wife. Both are ex-Catholics, and his wife in particular knows my parish priest quite well from her practicing days and would find it awkward (she is mentally ill and I worry it might trigger an episode…) if he came to the house. It’s their house, their rules.

And yes, I am sure it is not stress. I wish it were! It is occult-related and an on-going problem for me. Not least because I know my father has a bunch of occult materials scattered about the house that I cannot find.

Once again, thank you. :slight_smile:

I assume moving out of the house is not an option.

Here is a good place to start:

saint-mike.org/

Do some digging, and you will also find their Spiritual Warfare Prayer Catalog. I can tell you with complete certainty, the Hedge Prayer works. But it’s just one weapon. You will very likely need to build up an entire arsenal. Someone mentioned the St. Michael Chaplet. This works, as well, if prayed fervently, and daily. You probably won’t notice the effect for a while, but if you ever stop, you may very likely see what you’re missing. You can pray it on a regular Rosary.

If you are Catholic, attend Mass and confess often. The Sacraments are everything the Church says they are, and more. Unfortunately, it took me many years to understand this.

Divine Mercy Chaplet. This is powerful as well, and can be prayed on a regular Rosary.

Recite the Scriptural version of the Way of the Cross. This too is a powerful form of prayer.

Buy at least two Rosaries, and have them blessed by a Priest. Wear one around your neck at all times except bathing. Look in to the Brown Scapular as well.

If you really want to go thermonuclear, buy a nice statue of Blessed Mary, have it blessed, and keep it by your bed. Buy two or more Crucifixes, and have them blessed as well. Hang one over your bed, where you sleep. Sleep with a blessed Rosary in one hand, and a blessed Crucifix in the other.

Pray at least every morning and every night, for yourself, your family, your friends, etc. Pray to Blessed Mary, and ask Her to guide you.

Find a Priest who knows how to exorcise water and salt, not just bless it. Once he exorcises both the water and salt, he can mix some salt with the water, and say a third blessing over the combination. THAT… is Holy Water at it finest. Also, shake a moderate amount of exorcised salt on your supper, or in a glass of drinking water. This little added touch really helps.

Above all, I would look at this as an opportunity to come closer to God, and hopefully to Blessed Mary as well. Things may even get a bit worse at first when you begin to fight back, but persevere. Consider this a gift from God. And persevere.

Sorry for any typos. Long post, and it’s late.

What is the nature of the reason a priest is not allowed into  the home?  Is the home owner is  the one that is the one preventing this?

This is very important.

Thank you for your wonderful advice Vigilant. I will definitely look that up.
I have a prayer card of St. Michael, but a chaplet seems like a good idea as well.

Yes, it is the home-owner that is preventing the priest from coming in. I suppose I could sneak him in while she’s out at work, but that seems dishonest. Still…

I do intend to go and see my priest sometime either this weekend-- or early next week-- to discuss the problem with him and see what he suggests as well. And hopefully get the holy water/salt thing worked with him, as well a couple of blessings on other things.

On the plus side, all is quiet at the moment… I shouldn’t jinx it though, should I!

Do you know in the last 3 centuries of a story of pigs throwing themselves into the sea? Or cows? Or something like that?

It was in Jesus time. Now we are not in Jesus time. Jesus went up to Heaven and the disciples saw Him no more.

I am ready to believe if I hear a credible story. Up to now, none. Or if I myself expereince or see something like that. Up to now, nothing.

I believe that the Devil exists and that he is a treeibly intelligent person. As such, he does not go that way. He acts in invisible and much corrupt ways trying to lead people away from God. A haunted houses is no reason for the Devil to act. What for? Would he lead people away from God with that? Obviously not, on the contrary.

So, I am afraid of the Devil I do not see. the Devil inside ideologies, inside people’s feelings, fashions, attractions against God’s Laws and so on.

I don’t mean this as an insult, and I am also speaking of myself up to a certain point in my life: Ignorance is bliss.

These spitritual abominations act annonumously, usually one-on-one, and sometimes against an entire family. They don’t want the world as a whole to believe in their existence. Perhaps you should ask yourself why the Catholic Church has exorcism rites in place, and at least most diocese have an Exorcist Priest among their ranks.

No harm. I get insulted only when I want.
The Exorcist Priest is normally jobless.
If there were such cases, EVERY priest should be an exorcist for the demand would be much and the Devil does not sleep.
Do you know why there is only one exhorcist? Because the Church does not allow every priest to be exorcist. Things are so hard to distinguish that if every priest was exorcist we would have plenty of funny stories appearing on TV. The Church wants to be careful, for to be absolutely sure of the existence of such thing…no insult to you…I prefer my bliss ignorance.

It is like ghost. I have asked so many times for one to appear to me but … nothing.They only appear at night … (are they photophobic?) … to someone else … in strange circumstances… I wanted them to give a press conference and show himself in TV, radio, net…nothing…

I have a whole theory about that but would take time…

But I do not have nothing against people who believe in it … at least they have got a hobby (no offense intended !!!:D…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.