Demonic Posessions

At my old Baptist church, a lot of people said that though they believed in demonic posessions, they didn’t think believers (those with the Spirit, in other words) could be posessed.

This seemed logical. (I always favored the Catholic view, however.)

What is the basis from the Church’s belief on this subject?

Have any of you known someone, or OF someone, to undergone something like this before?

Well, off the top I’d say that this is Biblically accurate.
[size=][FONT=“Palatino Linotype”]Matthew 12:[43] “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he passes through waterless places seeking rest, but he finds none.
[44] Then he says, `I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when he comes he finds it empty, swept, and put in order.
[45] Then he goes and brings with him seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. So shall it be also with this evil generation.”

Luke 11:[24] “When the unclean spirit has gone out of a man, he passes through waterless places seeking rest; and finding none he says, `I will return to my house from which I came.’
[25] And when he comes he finds it swept and put in order.
[26] Then he goes and brings seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first.”[/size]

This really seems to indicate that someone whose house has been “swept” by the Holy Spirit can have some very bad tenants if they don’t persevere.[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.