Demonic Possessions

I hope I have this question in the right forum. I also posted in AAA, but I would be grateful for your help too.

In light of the new movie coming out based on a true story of a possession and exorcism, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions or point me to the right sources.

Who can become possessed?

If completely innocent people can become possessed, why does God allow this?

Doesn’t the very act of being possessed take away our free will?

Does a possessed person know they are possessed, or do they need to rely on others to get them help?

What is the Church’s position on the entire issue?

Thanks!

Malia

Who can become possessed?Anyone, though non-Baptized people are more succeptable.

If completely innocent people can become possessed, why does God allow this?

Because demons have free will (just as God allows you to do evil to innocent people if you wish to do so).

Doesn’t the very act of being possessed take away our free will?Free will is diminished, but many people in a state of possession fight against it (and win). It’s not much different than being in the clutches of other “possessing” influences, such as drug addiction.

Does a possessed person know they are possessed, or do they need to rely on others to get them help?

The possessing demon will usually try to conceal its presence. If a person has knowledge of possession in general, s/he is more likely to suspect. In some (unusual) cases, the situation will be quite obvious to the victim and everyone around him/her.

What is the Church’s position on the entire issue?Each Bishop is responsible for appointing an exorcist within his See (though not all have been good at fulfilling this obligation). The identity of the exorcist is usually not made public knowledge for obvious reasons.

The Church believes that possession can and does occur. But She has also come to the realization that many disorders which were once blamed on possession are, in fact, mental disorders of non-demonic origin.

Thank you so much!

For some reason this issue has been on my mind lately. I am a bit afraid to find out more about it, but I also don’t want to have misconceptions and irrational fears.

Malia

[size=2]Thank you so much!My pleasure. You may be interested in reading the book, An Exorcist Tells His Story, by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, chief exorcist for the city of Rome (and a busy guy!). It’s available on Amazon for $10.17.

[/size]

I, personally, suspect that in some way, a possession victim has to say “yes” to the possession.

I would like to add, that a person who becomes possessed often knowingly yields their will to the demon. Father Amorth’s books are excellent as is Father Malachi Martin’s Hostage to the Devil, which is a close-up examination into the lives of 5 people who were possessed and went through exorcisms. It’s a bit disturbing to read, but provides unparalleled information into the process of possession as told from those who experienced it first hand.

David

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.