demons

I have had two dreams during the day when I fell asleep. One was when I was laying down for a short nap in the morning. I felt tired and decided to rest a bit and fell asleep. I had this dream of these black figures around me trying to get me to get off the sofa. It was rather scary and I couldn’t wake up. This was in the daytime between 10 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. when I finally awoke. I kept (silently in my mind) calling for help. It seems that I was being attacked by satan’s disciples. Could this be true or was it just my imagination.

About four days later I was watching television in the evening and dreamed I was being either pulled off the sofa or someone was trying to get me off. I was calling in my mind silently for help. Then I heard my husband come home and woke up. Is there a prayer I can say to ward this from happening to me again. It seemed like I was being attacked spiritually. Thanks for your advise. I am a practicing Catholic and have been in the Charismatic movement for about five months now. What could this possibly be.

Camille

It is possible that these could be disturbing dreams, or perhaps something demonic. I would consider contacting your priest.

There are also probably good books on the subject. I only know of good books on exorcism, but perhaps someone else can recommend a good book on demonic tactics.

I’m not sure how much help this would be but I’ve been reading the book called “The Rite: the Making of a Modern Exorcist”

It mentions St. Gemma Galgani had some problems of demonic nature. So maybe praying for her intercession and checking out some of her writings might help.

I don’t know of any good books, but I fear what you have witnessed is factual. I have known others that have described the black figures (your not alone), and I truly believe myself in their presence. Biblically what should and you should do when these types of events do happen is to call on Christ in the name of the Holy Spirit to protect and help you. If they persist or get worse you need to speak to a Priest ASAP
Hope this helps, if you need to talk about it drop me a line…
Chris.

Camille, since these things only happen when you are asleep, I think this is dream-related and not necessarily demonic. People experiencing demonic harassment generally see strange things happening when they are wide awake in addition to nightmares. But if you are concerned the dreams are demonic, you might say a bedtime protection prayer:

Bedtime Protection Prayer

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, Mother of God, of Blessed Michael the Archangel, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and all the Saints and Angels of Heaven, and powerful in the holy authority of the name His Name, I subject my mind and my dreams only to the work of the Holy Spirit. I ask you Lord to bind up all powers of darkness and forbid them to work in my dreams or any part of my subconscious while I sleep. Amen.

A more powerful bedtime prayer is found in the official prayer of the Church, the Night Prayers of the Liturgy of the Hours. When praying the Liturgy of the Hours one is not just praying by themselves or with their families, but praying with the entire Church – the Church in heaven, in purgatory, and on earth. To pray to appropriate Night Office go to the ebreviary website Night Prayer page.

Talk to your priest and put a holy water font in your home - when you feel the need for protection you can make the Sign of the Cross with it (the water that is not the font :p). If there is a Church you can go to during the day I would stop in just to be in God’s presence and to bless yourself with holy water if a priest isn’t available.

Christ’s peace be with you :signofcross:.

Camille,

Actually, have you heard of sleep paralysis?

webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-paralysis

Me Mum used to suffer from this a while back, probably due to work-related stress.

God Bless,
Tele

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.