Dems mum on whether Menendez should step down if convicted

This news item not getting much coverage.

Menendez’s “partner” sent to prison:

I guess the seriousness of the charge only applies to Republicans, like Roy Moore. Even Republicans seem to buy into the notion. For example, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham just testified as a character witness for Menendez. The Swamp protects its own.

1 Like

Not a very good guess.
It is not a matter of seriousness but of timing.

Moore is involved in an election - voters, and political parties, have decision to make about him now - even before a legal adjudication is made. With Menendez, there is really no urgency. There is no decision t be made in advance of the conclusion of the legal proceedings, which are ongoing: a jury is currently deliberating on the charges against him. What is the point of guessing about the outcome?

Right, they need to drag it out until Phil Murphy is sworn in as NJ Gov to ensure a Dem is appointed in Menendez’s place.

On a separate but related note, i am not convinced he is not getting off. I read the Jury asked for clarification on the definition of a “Senator”.

Hard to say, really. But this juror, who was excused before the deliberations concluded, has a different perspective.

different from who? i think there is a big chance he gets off. maybe my speaking in a double negative was not clear?

Sorry, I read over your post too fast and didn’t see the second “not”.
The looming possibility of an acquittal or a hung jury makes the question of what should be done if he is found guilty even less important.

Yes it is sad how this prime example of the DC swamp is ignored.

Even if he gets off by some miracle, it’s clear he played favorites for a ‘friend’ and should resign.

Jury deadlocked, ordered to continue deliberations tomorrow but mistrial likely.

1 Like

Menendez, a Democrat and New Jersey’s senior senator, is charged with advocating for co-defendant Salomon Melgen’s business interests with top U.S. government officials in exchange for vacations in the Dominican Republic, private jet flights, hotel stays, a car service and about $750,000 in political contributions.

2015 federal indictment on corruption charges
External video
Q&A interview with former U.S. attorney Randall Eliason on the Menendez indictment and trial, September 17, 2017, C-SPAN
In 2013, reports surfaced that a federal grand jury in Miami was investigating Menendez regarding his role in advocating for the business interests of Florida ophthalmologist Salomon Melgen, one of his close friends and major donors.[137][138] On April 1, 2015, the United States Department of Justice indicted both Menendez and Melgen, charging Menendez with—among other crimes—bribery, fraud, and making false statements.[139] According to the indictment Menendez asked top State Department officials to pressure the Dominican Republic’s government into enforcing a port-security contract that would benefit Melgen’s company while at the same time Melgen was promising to give $60,000 to Menendez’s political campaign.[140] Prosecutors also charged that Menendez acted as Melgen’s “personal senator,” helping obtain visas for several of Melgen’s girlfriends.[141][142]

In return, Melendez is accused of accepting a range of perks from Melgen, including trips on Melgen’s private jet, three nights at a five-star Paris hotel, a round of golf at a private club in West Palm Beach and access to an exclusive Dominican resort - some of which Menendez allegedly didn’t report on financial disclosure forms.[139] Melgen also donated a substantial amount of money to benefit Menendez’s political campaigns, and prosecutors claim that $750,000 of those contributions were tied to personal benefits Menendez accepted.[143][144]

Menendez voluntarily stepped down as ranking member of the Foreign Relations Committee after his indictment.[145] Menendez’s trial began on September 6, 2017, before Judge William H. Walls of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.[142]

I have been very suspicious of Senator Lindsey Graham of late and he is going in “the box” along with John McCain and Jeff Flake and a few others.

There may be underage girls involved as well … but not here … in the Dominican Republic.

Just to clarify, by saying in “the box” I mean the same category of republicans that don’t seem to
be on the same page with many Americans with conservative thinking.

You’ve got that right.It is so transparent what is going on withvJudge Roy Moore,the all out concerted effort by the Dems and the Republicans to oust him is further magnified by their complacency re Menendez.Time to do a through house cleaning !

People are aware politicians, as public figures, can influence a trial process by making statements about it right? Trump’s statements about Bowe Bergdahl are a main reason he got such a light sentence. Politicians know not to comment on Menendez’s trial while it is ongoing.

1 Like

There is a difference. Public courts are independent but the military courts report to Trump, that’s why it was bad for him speak publicly about Bowe.

Mendez should resign

Menendez is a Democrat … Democrats do not resign. [They barely even retire.]

1 Like

What a silly thing to say.

“We cannot reach a unanimous decision,’’ the jury said in a note late Thursday morning. “Nor are we willing to move away from our strong convictions.”

I think the only question now is if he will be retried.

update:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.