Dems Say It's Time for GOP to Unite, End Shutdown

“Speaker John Boehner won’t even let the bill get a yes-or-no vote, because he doesn’t want to anger the extremists in his party. That’s all. That’s what this whole thing is about,” Obama said Thursday at a campaign-style event at a Rockville, Md., construction company.

abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/shutdown-3rd-day-obama-hill-impasse-20457182

How is this news?

Is there a thread on this forum that is already discussing this issue, because I couldn’t find one. :shrug:

The article says that the GOP should unite when the real goal of this disingenuous propaganda is to divide conservatives.

In the comments section, Annie Shevokas says, “You can’t say you refuse to compromise in one breath and then blame the other person for failure to reach a compromise in the next. For compromise to be effective, BOTH sides must be willing to SACRIFICE something. The one who refuses to sacrifice is to blame!”

Yeah, both sides would have to behave like grown ups. Not much chance of that now is there?

I can see the point of the TEA Party type extremists clogging the pipes so to speak. Shut it down seems to be their favorite slogan. Or maybe they think of it as a battle cry.:rolleyes: But the Dems pretty much occluded the Repubs from working on the original version of the ACA. So, like I said. Both sides would have to…

ATB

Harry Reid won’t allow simple up or down votes on individual budget items. While Republicans have passed bills to fund the Park Service, the military and the NIH clinic trials to help children with cancer. Reid has blocked them all from being voted on.

It was, however, reported that some of the Democrats want the shutdown to continue for political reasons so that the GOP can be blamed just in time for the 2014 elections. Imagine that! (And I’m a liberal Democrat.)

And it starts at the top.

Although the government shutdown continues, it appears President Barack Obama and the White House are not getting any closer to negotiating with Republicans. A quotation from an unnamed senior administration official in today’s Wall Street Journal explains why.

Said a senior administration official: “We are winning…It doesn’t really matter to us” how long the shutdown lasts “because what matters is the end result.”

The very last thing any responsible member of Congress should do is to unite behind Obama in his quest to triple or quadruple the national debt.

Is it true that this shutdown only affects “non-essential” functions of the government? Because that sounds more like a cleanup to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Yes, I’m joking. Don’t flip out, lol.)

So now Obama wants to rule the Repub party as well as his own? What a would-be potentate! :rotfl: Does he also, perhaps, want them to approach him and kiss his armpits the way Saddam Hussein used to require of his subjects?

Obama thinks he is going to now slice through the Repubs’ jugular. How amusing and fitting it would be if his royal sword swung through empty air, and the populace actually decided they didn’t want a king after all!

It’s time for Dems to negotiate, rather than keep the government shutdown.

I don’t know where you get that idea from. The continuing resolution Obama wants the House to pass would fund that government at sequester levels - which means that the Republicans had already won the battle over the deficit & debt.

See: ‘We’ve already essentially adopted that Ryan budget’

Anyone claiming that what is happening now has anything to do with the deficit or national debt is feeding you misinformation. It is entirely about a Tea Party oligarchy trying to undermine democracy in America and the GOP leadership being too spineless to stop them.

Yes, we are familiar with the Democratic Party talking points, forwarded by the Obama “we will not negotiate” Administration. Thank you for reiterating them though. I’m sure it will help.

Just so you know the sequester was Obama’s plan and it continues deficits at historic levels (at least what were historic levels until Obama became president).

None other than NBC’s David Gregory today pressed Obama’s chief economic advisor, Gene Sperling, whether his boss told the truth in the third presidential debate that “the sequester is not something that I’ve proposed. It is something that Congress has proposed.” Sperling finally wilted under the pressure of tough questioning to admit that “yes, in fact, the sequestration was President Obama’s plan.”

forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2013/03/03/white-house-admits-third-time-president-obama-fibbed-on-sequester/

The fact the continuing resolution is less than the bloated spend-a-thon that Obama proposed and got 1 (?) vote in all of congress is hardly the Ryan Budget Proposal.

I don’t know that the debt is the major concern in resisting Obamacare, but it certainly is with some. $1.8 trillion here, $1.8 trillion there, soon you’re talking about real money. (to paraphrase Everett Dierksen) :slight_smile:

I’m all for the govt being shut down…if that includes Congress being locked in a room Conclave style until they grow up and start acting like adults. No media, no pay, and nothing but cold sandwiches & water.

You do realize that by condoning what the GOP is doing, you are essentially throwing the American democratic process under the bus in favor of rule by oligarchy.

In all charity, my guess is that this is something you simply failed to realize and am glad to have had this opportunity to enlighten you.

On a related note, here’s a different perspective:

The inability of the media and politicians to focus on the real issues never ceases to amaze.

**The real crisis is not the “debt ceiling crisis.” **The government shutdown is merely a result of the Republicans using the debt limit ceiling to attempt to block the implementation of Obamacare. If the shutdown persists and becomes a problem, Obama has enough power under the various “war on terror” rulings to declare a national emergency and raise the debt ceiling by executive order. An executive branch that has the power to inter citizens indefinitely and to murder them without due process of law, can certainly set aside a ceiling on debt that jeopardizes the government.

The real crisis is that job offshoring by US corporations has permanently lowered US tax revenues by shifting what would have been consumer income, US GDP, and tax base to China, India, and other countries where wages and the cost of living are relatively low. On the spending side, twelve years of wars have inflated annual expenditures. The consequence is a wide deficit gap between revenues and expenditures. counterpunch.org/2013/10/04/why-the-debt-ceiling-is-a-distraction/

:rotfl:

Wow.

You do realize that everything being done, whether you are for a shutdown or not, is democratic repubicanism in action and not rule by oligarchy, right? Inflammatory rhetoric is so much fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.