Denied Annulment and cannot marry in the Catholic Church?

Hi,

I am just wondering, what exactly is the advice given or what happens when a couple is married (with family and kids) in another Church and when they want to become Catholic’s they or one of them are denied an annulment?

What would they be required to do in order to be in full communion with the Catholic Church?

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Generally speaking, they would need to live in continence. Their pastor would advise them on the way forward.

It would depend on the situation. An annulment is only necessary if one of the couple has been previously married. If it is the first marriage for both and neither has ever been Catholic, as long as their marriage is a Christian marriage (they were married by a Christian minister - a real one, not someone who paid to get “ordained” on-line) the couple doesn’t have to do anything to become Catholic other than produce a wedding license.
If one was Catholic (even if they weren’t practicing at the time) I believe they would need to have the marriage convalidated before the non-Catholic could be received into the Church.
If one (or both) have been previously divorced, then the divorced person may need an annulment before becoming Catholic - if they were currently married to a Catholic. I think. It may depend on the nature of the first marriage - where were they married, by whom, was the ex-spouse Catholic.
I don’t know much about annulments because when my husband and I came into the Church, because our marriage was our only marriage and it was deemed Sacramental, we never had to do anything.
Your priest (or the couple’s priest) could best advise them what steps will be necessary for full communion with the Catholic Church.
Kris

[quote="klm120861, post:3, topic:332415"]
as long as their marriage is a Christian marriage (they were married by a Christian minister - a real one, not someone who paid to get "ordained" on-line) the couple doesn't have to do anything to become Catholic other than produce a wedding license.

[/quote]

This is not correct. Two non-Catholics who are free to marry (first marriage, etc) marry validly when they marry civilly. They do not have to marry in a church or before a non-Catholic minister. A non-Catholic marriage at the courthouse is perfectly valid.

[quote="klm120861, post:3, topic:332415"]

If one (or both) have been previously divorced, then the divorced person may need an annulment before becoming Catholic - if they were currently married to a Catholic.

[/quote]

The OP's question involves two non-Catholics who want to become Catholic whose prior marriage(s) have been found to be valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.