Denver area students walk out of school in protest

news.yahoo.com/denver-area-students-walk-school-protest-212434798.html

The school board proposal that triggered the walkout calls of instructional materials that present positive aspects of the nation and its heritage. It would establish a committee to regularly review texts and course plans, starting with Advanced Placement history, to make sure materials “promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights” and don’t “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strike or disregard of the law.”

It’s a miracle if they are getting any instruction in history at all. Social studies has gone completely by the wayside in schools. Last I checked, students in my state had to have two semesters of a social study elective and one semester of government in order to graduate. They’ve all but completely removed it at the elementary level.

Hopefully, common sense will prevail.

Here’s an idea - the students could actually read whatever they want to on their own…

Maybe they could get together and research the events they are being taught in class and bring intelligent debate into the classroom. Then the administration might take notice and realize they can’t dictate exactly what the kids will learn.

My first question is why are students dictating to the school what they should be taught. Beyond that, I would want to see the materials before I had an opinion either way. I actually agree we shouldn’t whitewash US history - what happened to the Native Americans, slavery, etc. But it shouldn’t slant the other way either, where the Founding Fathers are nothing but Eurocentric white capitalistic pigs, etc. Surely we can acknowledge our strengths and weaknesses, and stand up to our kids enough to have the courage to honestly teach them their own history? Or is that asking too much.

Just as the internet has made intelligent discussion the norm, right?

No, of course not. Why should the school district impose its tyrannical opinion that 2+2=4 when the matter should be a subject of debate?

This is the second largest school district in Colorado, and the walkouts come less than a week after a sick-out by teachers (based on “effectiveness pay”) caused two high schools to be closed for a day. The students only walked out today, but they have been on the major streets protesting for days.

The district administration is being called to task for what is looking like their complete incompetence to run the district. We teachers in the neighboring district are watching with curiosity and interest…

Gertie

[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Ummm. . .you know that you used a math example and not one one that has anything to do wit social studies, don’t you?

If, as the article states, the committee would not allow anything that condoned “civil disorder or social strike,” how would they cover the Boston Tea Party, the American Revolution, the labor movement, or the civil rights movement?

Sounds like they want to create a nice little cadre of non-thinking automatons who live to serve the free-market system.

Promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system?!!
No wonder the kids walked out. Wouldn’t this be the equivalent of promoting heresy in the current school system?

:rotfl:

Oh yeah.

Just another reason the future is increasingly in the hands of radical Islam, Russia and China.

Sounds like they want to create a nice little cadre of non-thinking automatons who live to serve the free-market system.

:rolleyes:

The free market system works. The alternative is what happens in 2nd and 3rd World nations.

And most people in places like North America who think they’d make the cut to be elite and above the fray in such a situation would not.

:tiphat:

I’m all for teaching the positive aspects of US history – I’m one of those radicals who actually teach my students the National Anthem and all four of the original verses to America, the Beautiful – but that bold part above made a lot of us in the area wonder whether this school district is trying to be good little do-bees who blindly follow the Common Core as they strive to create the North Korea of the west.

Be careful when commenting on this story that you note ALL of what is being said about the proposed changes to the SS curriculum.

Gertie

Did you read the article??

There’s more to this than promoting citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system. There’s the other half of the platform that wouldn’t allow anything that might “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strike or disregard of the law.”

Welcome to China :thumbsup:

Do you teach the Pledge of Allegiance? :wink: I had a third grade teacher who used to read us the Bible, which was a huge no no. There were a bunch of parents and teachers who got together and stopped it. My dad (fire breathing atheist liberal) refused to help them. He told me it wouldn’t hurt me one bit to hear the Bible, probably do me some good.

Yes, I wondered what this was really about. It does sound a little fishy. We want truth here, not either side’s propaganda. Teach kids to think, not what to think.

This is great. Schools exist to educate, not impose a worldview on it’s students. Teach the facts and nothing but the facts. Nothing good ever comes from trying to pass propaganda off as education. I’m surprised there are any thinking people left in this country. Kids like this give me hope for the future.

That would be a huge departure from the large cadre of non-thinking automatons who live to serve the secular leftist worldview.

I am not necessarily for this curriculum, but it seems we have two extremes: either whitewashing US history, or teaching a false caricature based on the secular leftist view that this country was founded by unjust landowners motivated chiefly by their own narrow economic interest and that history of the US is a story of brutal oppression of minorities, rather than a story of the triumph of freedom and limited government.

Ishii

[SIGN][/SIGN]

The last two words of your post literally made me laugh out loud.

Are you SURE the history of the United States is the story of the triumph of limited government?

Don’t we have one of the most complex governments in the world?

[quote="ishii]That would be a huge departure from the large cadre of non-thinking automatons who live to serve the secular leftist worldview.

I am not necessarily for this curriculum, but it seems we have two extremes: either whitewashing US history, or teaching a false caricature based on the secular leftist view that this country was founded by unjust landowners motivated chiefly by their own narrow economic interest and that history of the US is a story of brutal oppression of minorities, rather than a story of the triumph of freedom and limited government.

Ishii
[/quote]

I think the two extremes view is accurate. My own experience is that the leftist views are more common in schools at the moment, and I suspect this change was done in reaction to that. Hope they pull it off and end up presenting a balanced view.

Complexity is in fact part of what limits the government, and is somewhat intentional in that regard. I’m not sure why you think the two are opposed.

No, I think that it is true that the school system should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strike or disregard of the law.

Lessons can explain rights, and talk about protests. But encouraging is wrong.

Did you also note that they said condone?

Don’t we, as Catholics, teach our children they have a right to disobey unjust laws?

How do you teach the American Revolution, the Boston Tea Party, without condoning civil disobedience?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.