Denying Communion to kneeling communicant.

This past Sunday our Priest refused Communion to an 84 year old parishoner and left her kneeling while other parishoners had to move around her to receive the Blessed Sacrament. Our Priest also allows a Protestant man (husband of a parishoner) to receive Communion. I am writing a letter to my Bishop, and want to be direct, but charitable, and mostly effective.

Has anyone had experience with something like this?

Can a Priest be excommunicated for denying Communion in this fashion?

Can a Bishop order that communicants be denied the Eucharist if kneeling?

Is there Canon Law or instructions in the GIRM that deals specifically with this?

Thanks!

It is specifically not allowed in Redemptionis Sacramentum (2004). This can be found on the US Bishops site…

[90.] “The faithful should receive Communion kneeling or standing, as the Conference of Bishops will have determined”, with its acts having received the recognitio of the Apostolic See. “However, if they receive Communion standing, it is recommended that they give due reverence before the reception of the Sacrament, as set forth in the same norms”.[176]

[91.] In distributing Holy Communion it is to be remembered that “sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who seek them in a reasonable manner, are rightly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them”.[177] Hence any baptized Catholic who is not prevented by law must be admitted to Holy Communion. Therefore, it is not licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful solely on the grounds, for example, that the person wishes to receive the Eucharist kneeling or standing.

[quote=lancelink66]This past Sunday our Priest refused Communion to an 84 year old parishoner and left her kneeling while other parishoners had to move around her to receive the Blessed Sacrament. Our Priest also allows a Protestant man (husband of a parishoner) to receive Communion. I am writing a letter to my Bishop, and want to be direct, but charitable, and mostly effective.

Is there Canon Law or instructions in the GIRM that deals specifically with this?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Forgive me for being confused:confused: . Did your priest deny communion because the woman was KNEELING:mad: ?

Let me know what your Bishop says. Shoot, I’ll write to your PARISH with you if you want…

Please see post #2 and this:

Congregation de Cultu Divino et Disciplina Sacramentorum

Prot. n. 1322/02/L

Rome, 1 July 2002

Your Excellency,

This Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments has recently received reports of members of the faithful in your Diocese being refused Holy Communion unless while standing to receive, as opposed to kneeling. The reports state that such a policy has been announced to parishioners. There were possible indications that such a phenomenon might be somewhat more widespread in the Diocese, but the Congregation is unable to verify whether such is the case. This Dicastery is confident that Your Excellency will be in a position to make a more reliable determination of the matter, and these complaints in any event provide an occasion for the Congregation to communicate the manner in which it habitually addresses this matter, with a request that you make this position known to any priests who may be in need of being thus informed.

The Congregation in fact is concerned at the number of similar complaints that it has received in recent months from various places, and considers any refusal of Holy Communion to a member of the faithful on the basis of his or her kneeling posture to be a grave violation of one of the most basic rights of the Christian faithful, namely that of being   assisted by their Pastors by means of the Sacraments (*Codex   Iuris Canonici*, canon 213). In view of the law that "sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who opportunely ask for them, are properly disposed and are not prohibited by law from receiving them" (canon 843 ¶ 1), there should be no such refusal to any Catholic who presents himself for Holy Communion at Mass, except in cases presenting a danger of grave scandal to other believers arising out of the person's unrepented public sin or obstinate heresy or schism, publicly professed or declared. Even where the Congregation has approved of legislation denoting standing as the posture for Holy Communion, in accordance with the adaptations permitted to the Conferences of Bishops by the *Institutio Generalis Missalis Romani* n. 160, paragraph 2, it has done so with the stipulation that communicants who choose to kneel are not to be denied Holy Communion on these grounds.

In fact, as His Eminence, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger has recently emphasized, the practice of kneeling for Holy Communion has in its favor a centuries-old tradition, and it is a particularly expressive sign of adoration, completely appropriate in light of the true, real and substantial presence of Our Lord Jesus Christ under the consecrated species.

Given the importance of this matter, the Congregation would request that Your Excellency inquire specifically whether this priest in fact has a regular practice of refusing Holy Communion to any member of the faithful in the circumstances described above and -- if the complaint is verified -- that you also firmly instruct him and any other priests who may have had such a practice to refrain from acting thus in the future. Priests should understand that the Congregation will regard future complaints of this nature with great seriousness, and if they are verified, it intends to seek disciplinary action consonant with the gravity of the pastoral abuse.

Thanking Your Excellency for   your attention to this matter and relying on your kind collaboration   in its regard,

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Jorge A. Cardinal Medina Estévez

Prefect

+Francesco Pio Tamburrino

Archbishop Secretary

[quote=LSK]Forgive me for being confused:confused: . Did your priest deny communion because the woman was KNEELING:mad: ?
[/quote]

Yes, he denied the woman communion because she was kneeling. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Chances are the Priest will tell you that RS in not in effect yet or something of that nature. Don’t let him bamboozle you with doubletalk.

I don’t have anything to contribute, but just wanted to comment that it is one of the most uncharitable things I’ve heard of.

What was the woman’s reaction?

I agree w/ Lux . ., most uncharitable! How arrogant. A public apology would be appropriate.

The willingness of such an elderly woman to kneel to receive (when it cannot have been as easy for her as the average parishioner) should be encouraged as a witness to others. Shame on the priest! In my parish, we keep being reminded that a “head bow” is appropriate not a “profound bow.” I guess some of us are too reverent; goodness knows what kind of admonition kneeling would bring…

Unless the Priest knows for a fact she is in Mortal Sin, I believe he has no right to deny her Communion. Especially for Kneeling. My mother-in-law (if alive today would be going on 87) wore her Little Chapel Veil, knelt for Commuion ect because this what she had done for years, even if no one else did. Support her anyway you can get other members of your Parish to join in. Don’t attack your Priest, but do take the proper channels, this must be addressed by your Bishop.

Priests give communion to politicians who vote to massacre children. And then a priest denies communion to someone who kneels to receive our Blessed Lord.

Incidentally, the practice of standing to receive communion, rather than kneeling, was brought about through disobedience.

To those who maintain their local parish is a Catholic church, I say prove it.

:yup: And the greater disobedience was that of Pope Paul’s since he caved.

And the same thing happened with “altar girls.”

When they write the final chapter of “What Happened to the Church after Vatican II” all of these oh-so-incidental, non-important little disciplinary abuses are going to be shown for what they really were. Chip, chip, chip at the foundation. :frowning:

Pray unceasingly,

Anna

Pity for that priest!

I think that 84 year parishoner revere Jesus Christ more than the priest!

No one can deny a Catholic faithful to recieve the Holy Communion because he kneeled.

You can talk to that priest and tell him on what he did.

[quote=lancelink66]This past Sunday our Priest refused Communion to an 84 year old parishoner and left her kneeling while other parishoners had to move around her to receive the Blessed Sacrament. Our Priest also allows a Protestant man (husband of a parishoner) to receive Communion. I am writing a letter to my Bishop, and want to be direct, but charitable, and mostly effective.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Which diocese was this in? It should be reported in writting to the bishop, and if he has …well, courage, then he will nip this situation. If he does nothing, then consul her to write to the Vatican, or contact a good Canon Lawyer, and if he does nothing, she could contact a civil lawyer and get his advice: Public humiliation would lead her to suffer psychological distress. Umm then when the civil lawyer is contacted, the priest and diocese will listen.

Here’s one other thing: The post above gave the norms from Rome, but please note that the conferences of bishops have the right to establish the norms for their particular countries. In our case (the US), the bishops have decided that standing is our normative way to receive. You can pull this up on EWTN Experts FAQs.

I don’t know for sure if Communion may be actiually refused to a kneeling person, but I know it happened in my parish. The pastor when confronted afterwards by the person who was forced to stand up, and who was fully conversant with Cardinal Arinze’s requirement that kneelers be giiven Communion, said that he took his direction from the American bishops, not Rome!

You can see that behind the kneeling/standing issue are much greater problems

God bless, Anna.

Definitely write a letter, and include the part about the Protestant being given Communion. I just wrote a letter to the Bishop about some liturgical abuses I saw at a Church. I was terrified of doing it, but it needed to be done.

[quote=lancelink66]I am writing a letter to my Bishop, and want to be direct, but charitable, and mostly effective.

[/quote]

I am glad to hear it. Hopefully the Bishop will act justly on this matter. To deny one the Holy Eucharist for being reverent is not acceptable.

matthew

Thanks!
[/quote]

I have heard of priests approach parishioners after Mass and ask them not to kneel for Communion anymore. The reason usually being that it causes confusion and holds up the line. However, I have NEVER seen the above. How awful for that poor 84-year-old woman. How cruel and uncharitable of that priest to embarrass her like that.

Please let us know what the response is to your letters.

On the face of it, this is plain wrong.

It’s unclear whether you’ve actually spoken to the Priest though. If not, you really ought to speak to him before you write to his Bishop. There could be a reason for his actions, admittedly I can’t think of anything obvious, but you should at least ask the Priest about it first.

Mike

[quote=lancelink66]Yes, he denied the woman communion because she was kneeling. I’ll let you know how it goes.
[/quote]

Did he *tell *you that?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.