Deposit of faith

I searched New Advent for “deposit of faith” and came up empty. Then I googled it and got too many results.

Can someone link some good info? Bite size would be ideal for now.

[quote=mark a]I searched New Advent for “deposit of faith” and came up empty. Then I googled it and got too many results.

[/quote]

What exactly were you looking for? If you do a CTRL+F for “deposit” on this page, do you get what you’re looking for?:

ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/V2REVEL.HTM

(Dei Verbum)

How about the CCC that can be found online thorugh St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in PA??? Here’s the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**84 **The apostles entrusted the “Sacred deposit” of the faith (the depositum fidei), contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, to the whole of the Church. “By adhering to [this heritage] the entire holy people, united to its pastors, remains always faithful to the teaching of the apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. So, in maintaining, practicing and professing the faith that has been handed on, there should be a remarkable harmony between the bishops and the faithful.”

Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.

How about Dei Verbum? It’s The Church’s Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation. It’s one of the 16 Vatican II documents. I have not read it, but I have heard that it is excellent.

rc.net/rcchurch/vatican2/dei.ver

[quote=slinky1882]How about the CCC that can be found online thorugh St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in PA??? Here’s the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

**84 **The apostles entrusted the “Sacred deposit” of the faith (the depositum fidei), contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, to the whole of the Church. “By adhering to [this heritage] the entire holy people, united to its pastors, remains always faithful to the teaching of the apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. So, in maintaining, practicing and professing the faith that has been handed on, there should be a remarkable harmony between the bishops and the faithful.”

Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.
[/quote]

Well, I would never in a million years thought of looking there.

[quote=mark a]Well, I would never in a million years thought of looking there.
[/quote]

The Catechism is a wonderful source for all kinds of things Catholic!

[quote=mark a]I searched New Advent for “deposit of faith” and came up empty. Then I googled it and got too many results.

[/quote]

Did you search for depositum fidei on the New Advent site ?

As much of the information on the site is from before the 1950s or earlier, it belongs to a time when theologians still tended to think in Latin, and to use Latin terminology.

So, one often has articles in English - with titles in Latin :slight_smile: ##

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.