Depression and Lack of Faith

Something is seriously wrong in my life, and I really need some prayers please. I’ve had symptoms of depression for quite a while now (at least a year), and while I have just started talking to a therapist, it is really taking a toll. I keep putting off my university course work, my schedule is in shambles, I feel tired and sick, and I feel hopelessly alone.

I feel like I’m losing faith in God (logically, I think I believe, but I just feel so disconnected), and I need someone to talk to about it but the priests in my city are so busy all of the time. Actually, I’d like to elaborate more on this, so if anyone could suggest which subforum to post about problems with faith, I’d gladly appreciate it, thanks.

-Jennifer

I see that this is a difficult time for you. The college years are very stressful. I have found that going to mass regulary has help me during a bought with depression and anxiety. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you peace during this difficult time in your life. You will come out of this. It make take a period of time. Don’t be hard on yourself. Father in our weakness your power reaches perfection!

:thumbsup: :slight_smile: Lord embrace your child Jennifer and build up her faith and trust in you . Lord eliminate all fears and doubts in her mind and lead her on a path of joy and happiness and filled with your love in her heart . Lord guide her and take away all these depressing thoughts, in the name of Jesus, amen . Jennifer be happy as GOD is watching over you and truly loves you , your brother in Christ, John:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
Psalms 147:3

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you."
Isaiah 43:2

"To grant those who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."
Isaiah 61:3

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

"Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation."
1 Peter 4:12-13

Praying for you. God Bless you.

Dear Jennifer…you are not alone. I have also had a terrible battle with depression over the years. I promise you it is possible to feel better. If your school has counselling services, please get in contact with them. I will be thinking about you and praying for you.

Your are not alone, love. God bless you.

Jennifer,
Please know that I am praying for you. That you will find that person to talk to. I second the suggestion for daily mass. It has brought a peace to my life. God bless you.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Praying for you to over come your depression and a renewal of your faith…

Mass is a must do, it really does help.

Praying the rosary has helped me alleviate anxieties.

Writing daily in a journal, all the things that I’m thankful for, has scared my depression away :slight_smile: . Read the psalms, highlight the verses that fill you with joy, peace and self-confidence, then write them in your journal over and over. Eventually you will recite them with strength and joy, and when depression knocks at your door, recite them loudly in a spirit of thanksgiving and that sadness will go running away. God bless you.

You are in my prayer. You could go to Jesus in the Eucharistic Adoration - there you will find His peace.

May God Bless you always and keep you safe from harm. May He send His angels to protect you from the evil one. May he use this cross to build you up and make you a great witness to His Love and His promise never to abandon us!

Lord, you have said that even if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, we can say to a mountain, “Move” and it shall be moved. We pray that Jennifer’s faith alone might move this mountain so that she can share in your joy and peace. But if it be Your will to teach her and help her grow in spirit, we pray that she will be comforted by the sacrifices you made on our behalf. We trust in Your promise not to test us beyond our limits and love Your Divine Will!

St. Dymphna, pray for us!
St. Jude, pray for us!
St. Rita, pray for us!
St Denis, pray for us!
St. Bridget, pray for us!
All angels and saints, all holy men and women, pray for us!

Praying very hard to St. Dymphna for you Jennifer.

Prayers promised

Dear Jennifer I ask Jesus to embrace you and to help you through this. Love, Trishie

Jennifer…

Depression can be a serious condition…don’t underestimate how it may affect you… please take care of yourself…

My personal experiences are like this… I remember within 3 weeks of starting college, having a similar situation of feelings, emotions and turmoil. Feeling lost and confused, I went before the Blessed Sacrament and received the revelation …“They are trying to steal your soul.”

That revelation cleared up much of my confusion and enabled me to focus on how God was working in my life.

This further helped me see how God reveals himself in the struggle… the struggle of college can certainly be an opportunity for growth and maturity as a Child of God and it was for me. Perhaps this sounds familiar.

I am honored to pray for God’s grace and mercy to be with you.

May I share a poem that a friend gave me when I was in the same situation you’re in? It helped so much:
THE MASTER COUNSELOR

If Jesus had an office
That was labeled PhD,
Therapist, and Counselor,
I think He’d say to me:

"I’m glad that you chose Me,
You problems to confide,
For it was for these things
That on a cross I died.

When problems overwhelm you
And hurt comes like a flood,
You have only to remember
It’s been covered with my blood.

I may not always fix things
The way you think I should,
And there may be times you’ll wonder
If I really understood.

But rest assured that I’m still there
When everything goes wrong,
It’s learning how to hold my hand
That truly makes you strong.

An appointment isn’t needed,
And I don’t charge a fee;
The price was fully paid
Way back on Calvary.

When I was on the cross
I looked ahead and knew,
About the pain and torment
That you’d be going through.

I saw the sleepless nights,
I felt the tears you cried,
And with a burden for your healing
Willingly I died.

So now if you will trust Me
Though you’ve been torn apart,
I will make the needed changes
To heal your broken heart.

I am the Master Counselor,
And I can heal your pain;
If you will only let Me,
I’ll make you whole again."

These are the words I think
That He would say to me,
If Jesus had an office
That was labeled PhD.

Still praying…

Still praying very hard for you!

Jennifer - You are in my prayers. Please know you are not alone. If you ever need a friend please contact me. You can PM and I will be there for you. It is important for you at this time to reach out to others for support, love, encouragement and understanding…please do not isolate yourself. I am here dear if you need someone at ANY TIME…we are all here praying for you.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.