Depression & BiPolar Disorder

JMJ

Does anyone know the Churchs’ take on the use of medicine to treat depression and bipolar disorder?

God bless!

The church is not against treating illnesses w/ appropriate medication. --KCT

Taking medication for depression and bipolar disorder really is no different than taking medication for high blood pressure, diabetes or any other medical condition. Of course, diet and exercise can help in treating many illnesses, including depression.

**1673 **… Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science.

I just took a small section of the Catechism in regards to psychological illness. There is some debate, I understand, among professionals as to whether Depression & Bi-Polar Disorder is a psychological illness, a physical illness or a combination of the two. What is important to see, however, is that all illness can be treated with a spiritual approach AND with the help of medical science. One does not have to exclude the other. It would seem to me, therefore, that seeking proper medical treatment as well as deepening one’s prayer life, adding Adoration and frequent reception of the Sacraments would be a solid approach to this or any other illness.

Does that make sense?

TAKE THE MEDICINE!
It’s a sin to give into depression and the effects of BiPolar disorder. You can also do harm to yourself and others.

Enduring this kind of suffering by not taking the medicine will not get you to heaven any sooner.

May I add, and get the medicine adjusted if need be? Your physician is not a psychic. Show up for the blood work, jot down symptoms that may be side-effects to mention at appointments, and work with him or her. Otherwise, you are working God and yourself.

Depression and bi polar are the same as diabetes or cancer. They’re all illnesses that need to be taken care of. The church teaches that you are supposed to take reasonable care of your health and the life that God gave you.

And keep all appointments with your therapist. I have a son who is BiPolar so your above advice is right on :thumbsup: just wanted to add that.

Finding a Catholic therapist would be a good thing too. Drugs do not work alone, but with therapy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.