Depression Help!

Hi Everyone,

I’m not sure if this is the right area to post this, but I have a friend who is battling depression. I’ve suggested that she seek a spiritual director or a Catholic psychologist to get some help, but her biggest concern is she doesn’t want her mother to know because she doesn’t want her mother to worry about her. She is not 18 yet, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way she could get some help or guidance and it being private. I’d really rather her go to someone with a Catholic understanding of the world, so figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks and God bless,
mkim630

I’d call your parish and see if they can recommend any local Catholic Psychologists…
Also, encourage her to see her doctor for medical treatment.

Are you talking about helping an underage person w/o getting parental consent?

I am just coming out of a period of depression and I would advice your friend to seek medical help, also having someone to talk too also helps :slight_smile:

I was treated for clinical depression several years back but discovered that it was part of my diabetes (which for the longest time was communicated to me as “borderline”). So my depression had a bodily cause.

Recently I read Kathleen Norris’ excellent book called acedia&me. You can find a couple of reading selections here

1. payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/07/17/life-emerging-out-of-what-had-seemed-dead/

and here

1. payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/07/20/from-eight-bad-thoughts-to-seven-sins/

I found these observations fascinating and incorporated them into my depression therapy. It has helped a lot.

Some of my personal story here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/05/02/obstructions-to-joy/

Perhaps your friend may find some comfort in those writings.

Regards

dj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.