Depression

I was diagnosed with dysthymia (mild, but prolonged chronic depression) several years ago and take medication. It seems it has come back with a vengence as I am constantly tired and down and I think it could be a major depressive episode. The problem is genetic. My spiritual life has been adversely effected, as well as relationships with others. I have been a recluse for months and contemplated getting a refferal to a mental health facility for observation. My only desire is to get better in order to function at at a normal level. I believe in the power of prayer, so they are very much appreciated. My thanks in advance. God bless you.

:grouphug:My sypmathy, as there is a genetic disposition to depression in my husband so I have some idea pf how painful that is. One of our sons is particularly prone. I will pray for you as I pray for them

Warm regards, Trishie.

Praying for you. Are you on any medication? Depression can return with a vengeance even after “schlogging through” a previous long episode :frowning: SSRIs are really good for a lot of folks if it gets out of hand. I am sorry you are suffering so much.

I will pray for you.

Hail Mary full of Grace the Lord is with thee, Blessed art thou among women, and Blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I too suffer from depresssion. Prayers for you and yours

How alone you must feel. I am sorry for your pain… I will be praying for God to lighten your spirit so that you can enjoy His gifts!

St. Dymphna, holy patron of those with mental illness, pray for the SacramentDivine. :crossrc:

I too am suffering from depression. I will hold you in my prayers and thoughts.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I will certainly add you to my prayer intentions,I know personally how this can affect your whole life. I hope you find solace in the fact that my experience has been that these periods of depression will almost always lead to a period of great spiritual growth. Trust in the Lord remain faithful in your prayer life and continue to reach out to your brothers and sisters in Christ.Remember you are never suffering alone.
God Bless you on your journey.
Paul

Sorry to hear of your condition. May God’s love comfort you

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
Amen.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou
among women,
and blessed is the
Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen
:signofcross:

I prayer for your happiness and peace, and for gospel love lived in your life.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Still praying for you.

Sacramentdivine:

I offer for you what I just finished writing for Annellen:

I too suffer with clinical depression and had a bad bout recently which forced me to go back to my doctor because the medicine I was taking wasn’t working as well, so he added something and its slowly getting better. I can surely empathize with what you go through. Its absolutely no fun. I am learning, and I stress I am learning, to do as so many of the saints advise us - when the bad bouts come, in addition to getting the necessary medical attention, in addition to prayer, worship, devotion, etc, is this business of offering up my suffering to God to be joined to the suffering of Christ. Whether God chooses to use it for some redemptive purpose for yourself or for another who knows you and your struggles and who marvels at your faith in the midst of your suffering (who then is inspired to faith or to greater faith) God can and does make use of that. And recall Paul’s praying for his proverbial thorn to be removed - how God responded no, for my power is made perfect in weakness - so Paul concluded that when I am weak, it is then that I am strong. Though suffering from depression is no picnic, and God isn’t causing that for you, but rather he wills to use this time to draw you closer to himself, to depend upon him more deeply. From that perspective the glass is half full or more instead of half empty. This is something to give thanks to God for. Thus when you pray, as Paul advised, always begin with thanksgiving, and though it will feel strange, give thanks that God is even nearer to you in your moments of deeper depression.

God our Father, Sacramentdivine is suffering mightily from depression in this moment. It is so debilitating taking away all of one’s ambition while at the same time making one feel guilty for not doing normal activities, especially those of a caring nature for family or self. In your infinite mercy, remind Sacramentdivine constantly of our holy identity and precious value in you that has nothing to do with how we feel right now. Let Sacramentdivine be relieved of the burden of guilt and shame that often goes with suffering from depression and grant constant reminders that you do not expect things from us when we are not able to do them. Help those closest to Sacramentdivine to be understanding and caring in this time of need. And grant Sacramentdivine the grace to remain focused on the suffering of our crucified and risen Lord, so that Sacramentdivine knows you as a close companion on this journey, and that indeed Easter Sunday follows Good Friday for all who love you. Please grant this through Christ our Lord, our healer and redeemer. Amen.

All Angels and Saints please pray fervently for Sacramentdivine in this time of need in accordance with the pettitions on this thread so that God is glorified among us.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our tresspasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and in the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.