Descandants/family Old Testament

I have just started studying the Book of Genesis and I am having a hard time understanding the family lineage. It seems that after God destroyed all living creatures with Noah, that the credibility of the story is lacking. First of all, if God did destroy all living creatures than how can Noah’s sons multiply unless it was with interfamily. What constitutes incest? It seems like there is a lot of intermarriaging with cousins. If God didn’t destroy all living creatures and there were people left, why does the Bible say differently?

Also, with the men having many different wives and it is ok with God. Where in the Bible does it say that it is not ok to have multiple wives?

Also, why did God want disharmony with the people at Babbel when he dispersed the people and language? It seems that this is the reason for all the brothers and family to be against each other?

lots of questions… lol

the tower of Babbel is the easiest to answer, the people were
becomming arrogant to the point of building a tower to heaven…
so God, dispersed them as punishment…

as for multiple wives…

Gen 2:24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Matthew 19:5
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
1 Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1 Timothy 3:12
Let the deacons be the** husbands of one wife**, ruling their children and their own houses well
bold mine

now, the next is opinion only… mine alone…

as for the book of Genesis, and the flood, remember that the
bible is not a history book, the story or the flood probably
pertains to the ones considered “God’s people”, not all humanity…

:slight_smile:

[quote=emom]I have just started studying the Book of Genesis and I am having a hard time understanding the family lineage. It seems that after God destroyed all living creatures with Noah, that the credibility of the story is lacking. First of all, if God did destroy all living creatures than how can Noah’s sons multiply unless it was with interfamily. What constitutes incest? It seems like there is a lot of intermarriaging with cousins. If God didn’t destroy all living creatures and there were people left, why does the Bible say differently?

[/quote]

Remember that the prohibition on brothers and sisters marrying wasn’t given until the time of Moses. So, there was no law against it during the time of Noah (nor Adam for that matter).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.