Descendent of David

Jews object to Jesus being the direct descendent of David, therefore He cant be the. Messiah. Can anyone explain how he fits the criteria of being the Messiah?

Faith1960. You said:

Jews object to Jesus being the direct descendent of David, therefore He cant be the. Messiah.

The genealogical records were available in Jesus’ day possibly kept right in the Temple (and perhaps to at least ten generations) by a designated recorder.

If Jesus were NOT a descendant of David, WHY would Caiaphas bother to ask Jesus if He was “the Messiah” or “the Christ” (two ways of saying the same thing—one Hebrew oriented Messiah], the other Greek language oriented Christ])?

MARK 14:61b 61 . . . Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?”

Why wouldn’t Caiaphas just assert:

“You are not of the Tribe of Judah therefore your Messianic claims (that Caiaphas evidently already knew about) are dismissed and so are you. Good bye Jesus. Next case."

But that is NOT what Caiaphas did or said. They gave Jesus an illegal trial by night (“and the whole council sought false testimony” MT 26:59).

And when Caiaphas asked Jesus if He was the Messiah (why bother asking him this, if Jesus were NOT a Jew), what was Jesus’ reply?

“I AM”!

MARK 14:61-64 61 But he was silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?” 62 And Jesus said, "I am; and you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." 63 And the high priest tore his garments, and said, “Why do we still need witnesses? 64 You have heard his blasphemy. What is your decision?” And they all condemned him as deserving death.

So considering the Resurrection of Jesus, WHO are you going to believe?

People now who deny Jesus fulfilled Messianic conditions? Or . . .

. . . Or . . . Are you going to believe Jesus, who backed up His claims by raising from the dead?

You can see Jesus implicitly fulfilling enough about the Messiah, for the whole Sanhedrin to ask about it (and not toss out reasons why Jesus COULDN’T be this Messiah but rather a denial). By this, Caiaphas himself implicitly bears testimony to Jesus!

I hope this helps you in your quest.

God bless.

Cathoholic

2nd SAMUEL 8:15-16 15 So David reigned over all Israel; and David administered justice and equity
to all his people. 16 And Joab the son of Zeruiah was over the army; and Jehoshaphat the
son of Ahilud was recorder . . .

1st CHRONICLES 9:1, 34 1 So all Israel was enrolled by genealogies; and these are written in the Book of the Kings of Israel. And Judah was taken into exile in Babylon because of their unfaithfulness. . . . . 34 These were heads of fathers’ houses of the Levites, according to their generations, leaders, who lived in Jerusalem.

And consider all of the genealogies within Scripture.

If this were not considered important, these would not be kept, much less expounded upon within Sacred Scripture.

Matthew 1:1-17
Luke 3:23-28

Both explain the genealogy of Jesus.

If I remember correctly, both Joseph and Mary were descendants of David.

I’ve always been a little confused about this myself.

Wasn’t Joseph from the House of David? If so, wouldn’t Jesus only be “adopted” as a descendant from David? Or was it Mary, which would make Jesus of the Davidic line by blood? Were they both of the same lineage?

Hmm…

I don’t think it’s stated that Mary was descended from David, I think it’s just assumed.

catholicism.about.com/b/2008/01/04/reader-question-how-is-christ-the-son-of-david.htm

So to speak. Joseph was Jesus’ legal father, and therefore, Jesus was authentically of his house. Therefore, Jesus was legitimately considered a descendant of David, through his legal father Joseph.

c.f.

Scripture says that something that implies Mary was also descended from David.

Namely?

The link I posted says Romans 1:3. and 2 Tim 2:8. The link talks about it some.

These Scripture passages do not mention Mary at all. In fact there is nothing in Scripture which says Mary is of the house of David.

I know, its just implied and explained in my link.

I read the link. It is simply speculation without any Scriptural basis.

How is Jesus descended from David?

No one know who the virgin Mary’s descendents were and if it led back to David - so I would have to say you have to take it on faith that she also was a descendent of David. Unfortunately not everything is entirely explained and on those issues we have to take it on faith. I believe she was also a descendent of David but you don’t have to believe what I do.

Jews do not care if Jesus was a descendant of David or not. In fact, I have never heard a Jewish person object to anything about Jesus. Jesus simply is not on the minds of the Jews because to them, he was just another Jew who ran afoul of the political situation in Roman-occupied Judea. It seems strange to them that anybody would consider one of their own people to be the son of God. Can you blame them, really? If somebody now said an Italian or a person of Irish extraction was the son of God [and why should God be limited to only one son?] what would your reaction be?

:thumbsup:

What is the Catholic position on this? Jimmy Akin also suggests the possibility Mary was descended from David and I think I read the same thing from one of the CAF apologists.

jimmyakin.com/2006/07/descended_from_.html

*other CAF apologists

Through Joseph who accepted Jesus as his own child and became his legal father.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.