Descending into another depression

I’ve been struggling with depression for about two and a half years. Last year my life took a turn for the better and I felt like I was on my way out of this desolation. I was (and am still) dating a wonderful young woman, I was studying in university something I loved/still love.

However, and for reasons I’m still trying to figure out, I have fallen into another major depressive episode. Its straining me spiritually, physically, and emotionally. It is putting an immense strain on all of my relationships like never before.

I’ve resolved to fight this harder than before. I’m starting to exercise, eat healthier, taking natural anti-depressants and doing my best to take care of my body. Yet I know that my depression has deep spiritual roots as well and that is difficult because I can only do so much to get God to hear me. I feel like I’ve been hitting a wall for the past couple of years and it has been frustrating.

I’m worried than my relationship might be compromised too much too late by my depression as my girlfriend has voiced her concerns about it and it is frustrating and worrying because I love her. She is the only person I have ever loved in this way and although I haven’t done it perfectly or always been loving, I keep telling myself to keep going. But I’m not sure how much longer she wants to be here.

Please pray for me.

Depression can end up being a cyclic disorder-so while one should not anticipate an episode, one should be aware of the symptoms worsening and act accordingly-Sounds as if
you are one the right track with diet and exercise- and using natural products, however, there are times when medical drugs are more efficient-even if this route requires some trial and error to find the drug best suited for one’s self.

God made you as you are-and some depressives are able to feel more sorrow and therefore have more empathy with those in need-and also in acknowledging the terrific pains Jesus
encountered during His Passion. God, in His Wisdom, He has given you a great gift.
He hears every word you utter, and feels all your sighs.

Ask your Guardian Angel to help you in your daily struggles. +
Ask our Lady to pray for you, too.

Hi, I’ve had 5 major episodes of depression in my life time- ranging into 6 month periods of time. My first one was in 1972, I was 17 at the time - then of course there was very little known about it. Look into the third wave Cognitive Behavioral models for understanding in what is called ACT in the New Harbingers web site. Act stands for acceptance and commitment therapy - the model is counter intuitive, in that we don’t fight it, or resist it, we accept it and nurture ourselves back to health by identifying our darker side, anger , resentments, fears and so forth. Learning to be mindful of the present moment and therefore ok with it for now. Depression like anything else is a messenger for something we need to learn how be it painfully, but, suffering is optional it is a choice and therefore not something you need to be subject to. Choosing your attitude to be open to the psychological and emotional pain and confusion is counter intuitive - however we cannot escape our own mental constructs and life - we are as fish in the water, so understanding and nurture going with the flow helps tremendously. I agree the a good exercise and nutritional focus is a healthy part of the nurturing process back into a happier frame of mind.If you are descending into another depression wade in and help yourself to see that the water is just fine. Just a suggestion of something that works for me.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I am praying for you.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Praying hard to St. Dymphna for your recovery.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Yes, of course prayer is a large part of the answer to all our adjustments through life.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Also; Lord Jesus Christ son of God, be merciful to me a sinner.
Slow to mend my ways. Amen

When the student is ready the teacher appears. Come Holy Spirit and teach us and help us to be ready for you’re call.

You and your girlfriend will be in my daily prayers.

God hears your prayers always, so don’t worry about having to do x, y, and z to get him to hear you. You just have to be faithful to the Holy Spirit, the 10 commandments and the precepts of the Church with love in your heart for God and neighbor. Peace!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.