I’d like to start a discussion about the Desert Fathers. We in the East (especially us Maronites) like to talk about the Desert Fathers and their role in shaping our approach to the Faith and to the spiritual life, but I often feel like we fail to make a connection between the teachings of the Desert Fathers and how they’re relevant for us today.
So here are a few questions just to stimulate discussion:
- Do you read the Desert Fathers?
- Do you find their teachings relevant? If so, how? If not, why not?
- What are some of your favorite quotes from the Desert Fathers?
- What do you think are the main themes of their teachings
- Can we apply or adapt their teachings for a 21st Century lay audience?
Having read them fairly extensively, I have my own opinions. But I’d really like to see what other people are thinking and to discuss the topic further.