Desire and vocation

If I have a desire for marriage, would that be my vocation?

It may be, but you have to determine what GOD’s desire is for you. I may desire theft. I may desire not going to church. I may desire murdering someone. God would not desire those things for me.

Though discerning your vocation is a little different than those things above. Tell me, what are you doing to work towards your discernment? Are you dating? Have you ever thought about Religious life and gotten a firm answer “NO”, through prayer or by talking to a spiritual director?

Marriage is a vocation, and once you’re married, you may not desire it as much as you do now! :stuck_out_tongue: So you have to make sure it is what God desires, and then you will be married for God’s Glory, and your marriage will be a good one.

Thank you for your response!

I met a guy recently but don’t think he’s the one… Actually I KNOW he’s not the right guy for me, and i know wouldn’t help my faith grow stronger if I dated him. I don’t talk to him much anymore. I might have thought about religious life as wondering if it could be my vocation, but I don’t feel as strong to that as I do with being married. I don’t know what God desires of my vocation.

That’s a good start! It sounds like God put that desire in your heart for a reason. It also sounds like you are looking for a holy man, and not just any man, and that’s good too. I would like to reiterate that Marriage IS a vocation, and discerning our vocation takes work and prayer. If you get lost in God, I think your vocation will find you, and then you will know God’s desire when you find it.

That last part may sound kind of philosophical and vague, but seriously, look for men at church, while volunteering, go to different parishes for mass, organize a social group at your parish or something. Literally do the work, God’s work, that is what I mean by getting lost. Become a woman that the best of men would want to marry.

Pray for me (I am searching the same as you :)) and I will pray for you.

Pax

That’s amazing advice.

Thank you so much, and I most definitely will pray for you as well. God Bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.