Desmund Tutus's Statement about LGBT

How can a Christian Church leader as big as Desmund Tutu say things like:

"Desmond Tutu Would Prefer Hell Over A Homophobic Heaven "
Has he not read scripture and what makes him think he can override what scripture says, by saying something as wack as that!?

huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/26/desmond-tutu-hell-homophobia_n_3661120.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

I don’t get how Protestants say they adhere to scripture as the sacred book (they are even more literate about the Bible that most catholics) and then say something that goes against the grain like that.St Paul’s epistles does say faith is more important than law, but he also lists out how it’s important to be chaste and sexually moral.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND!!!

I’m a Protestant and I don’t agree with Desmond Tutu’s statements. Btw, most Protestants don’t agree with him either. The Bible teaches that there will be false teachers/prophets among us. I follow the teachings of the Bible, not Desmund Tutu’s opinions.

2358 the number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill god’s will in their lives and, if they are christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the lord’s cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.