Desolation...

So I’ve been in a bit of a valley, as of late. I desire an awesome relationship with Christ again , but have been in a lengthy slump. It is no longer feasible for me to go to Adoration regularly. Nor can I go to daily mass. These are things I took for granted. I pity myself, have been depressed and struggle with the same 'ol things. I feel like I lack trust and have become lukewarm.

To anyone familiar with theories of consolation/desolation…got any advice from firsthand experience that may be the spur I need?

Much obliged.

God bless!

The Spiritual Combat
by Fr. Dom Lorenzo Scupoli
based on text at
copiosa.org/spirituality/spiritual_combat.htm

Peace

TRUSTFUL SURRENDER TO DIVINE PROVIDENCE
by St. Claude de la Colombiere

Trust in God’s Wisdom

It is then a truth of our faith that God is responsible for all the happenings we complain of in the world and, furthermore, we cannot doubt that all the misfortunes God sends us have a very useful purpose. We cannot doubt it without imputing to God a lack of judgment in deciding what is advantageous for us.
It is usually the case that other people can see better than we can ourselves what is good for us. It would be foolish to think that we can see better than God Himself, Who is not subject to any of the passions that blind us, knows the future and can foresee all events and the consequences of every action.
Experience shows that even the gravest misfortunes can have good results and the greatest successes end in disaster. A rule also that God usually follows is to attain His ends by ways that are the opposite to those human prudence would normally choose.
In our ignorance of what the future holds, how can we be so bold as to question what comes about by God’s permission?
Surely it is reasonable to think that our complaints are groundless and that instead of complaining we ought to be thanking Providence. Joseph was sold into slavery and thrown into prison. If he had felt aggrieved at these apparent misfortunes, he would really have been feeling aggrieved at his happiness for they were the steps to the throne of Egypt.
Saul loses his father’s asses and has to go on a long vain hunt for them. But if he had felt
annoyed at the great waste of time and energy it caused him, his annoyance could not have been more unreasonable as it was all a means of bringing him to the prophet who was to anoint him king of his people.
Let us imagine our confusion when we appear before God and understand the reasons why He sent us the crosses we accept so unwillingly.

Peace

Thanks, I found that consoling in my own desolation right now. Thanks also for asking Robo, I hope you find the same.

Robo,

Many Saints have made it a point to warn us that consolations are not to be expected. When they do occur be ever so grateful, but do not waste time and energy expecting them or lamenting the fact that they have passed. It is during dry, arid and even desolate times that we can grow the most spiritually.

My current “dry spell” is now approaching 20 years in length. I have not been so happy about it, have not always appreciated the difficulty of it, but I can tell you I have grown. In this time one is faced with the darker side of themselves, not just empty trials. We can discover things that are deeply ingrained in our nature that need rooted out, and it is during these barren, empty periods that they are best discovered and purged from our soul.

Take each day one at a time, even a single minute at a time. The future is nothing more than a dream and we waste a lot of time trying to make it be what we want it be when we get there. (If we get there.) The only thing we really have is the moment and it is to be given to God. Pray often, listen always, and trust God, not your feelings, dreams, ideas or even consolation.

Some saints have stated that when we feel abandoned thats when God is the closest. Jesus Christ felt like His father abandoned Him. His human nature cried out, His friends left Him. But most of all many did not accept Him and His love for them and their salvation.and this caused Him His greatest pain. He knew that His Father did not abandon Him, He came to experience these sufferings for the love of His children, His creation. There are times in our spiritual lives that when we miss our consolations, or take things for granted, our souls hunger like the loved one in the Song of Solomon, My soul seeks my Lover, has anyone seen the one I love, He hides from me. (paraphrase) It is the Holy Spirit transforming us, bringing us closer to our God He causes that hunger for God My soul is athirst for the living water… If the Master suffered these things, then His followers, His disciples will too. Its all about Divine Love. Lord if you treat your friends this way, no wonder you have so few friends…St. Theresa of Avilla It is a cause to rejoice!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.