Despite being legal, abortions still not accessible for all Canadians

theglobeandmail.com/news/national/despite-being-legal-abortions-still-not-accessible-for-all-canadians/article1610254/
She awoke at 2 a.m. and began her journey along darkened roads and highways. By morning, sleepless and nervous, she pulled up to the plain brick abortion clinic in Fredericton. The protesters were already waiting.

“You have other options,” cried a middle-aged woman clutching a rosary, patrolling the sidewalk steps from the clinic entrance. “You don’t have to go through with it.”

Kimberley’s mind was made up. The mother of a toddler, she was pregnant again and wanted an abortion. But as a resident of Prince Edward Island, which doesn’t have a single abortion provider, she had to drive over four hours with her boyfriend to New Brunswick, dodge anti-abortion protesters, then pay $600 out of her own pocket for the procedure.*

It seems the anti-abortion protesters are geographically specific with regards to their effectiveness in keeping impoverished, rural and isolated women from obtaining easy abortions.

Not so, for urban, middle class and mobile women. Makes you wonder why the protesters pick on the marginalized women?

Gee, she had to drive more than 4 hours to have her child murdered. Sorry, but I don't feel at all sorry for her. She could have saved herself that long drive and saved her child but she choose the wrong path. Hope the day comes when she realizes what she's done. Each and every child has the right to live.

I read the entire article, and my thoughts were confirmed: the rural poor women are at a huge advantage because the difficulties are such that it truly is harder for them to get an abortion and therefore they have more time to realize that they have a child inside them who deserves life.

Please pray for the protestors in New Brunswick. Abortion culture is even worse in Canada than in the United States (in my opinion).

Lord, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Queen of the family, pray for us,

sjmb

[quote="pigtown, post:2, topic:202459"]
Gee, she had to drive more than 4 hours to have her child murdered. Sorry, but I don't feel at all sorry for her. She could have saved herself that long drive and saved her child but she choose the wrong path. Hope the day comes when she realizes what she's done. Each and every child has the right to live.

[/quote]

“It’s ridiculous that I have to leave my own province. It’s my own body, I need to have control over it,” said the soft-spoken woman in her mid-20s, who asked to use a pseudonym because her family and friends didn’t know she was having an abortion. “And $600 is a fair chunk of money for someone from Prince Edward Island.”

Don't people care about the self-image of the pro-life movement? What about the accusations from feminists about how it suppresses marginalized women and asks them to forfeit their bodily sovereignty? (Again, the bodily sovereignty argument is a population pro-choice argument popularized by Judith Jarvis Thomson's "A Defense of Abortion.") It would help if the people in the pro-life movement expressed some empathy with the circumstances of people from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds, even if such concern is insincere, it might be offer a high return on political capital from a Machiavellian perspective.

Please pray for the protestors in New Brunswick. Abortion culture is even worse in Canada than in the United States (in my opinion)

How is the abortion culture different (worse) in Canada?

[quote="Zatzat, post:1, topic:202459"]

It seems the anti-abortion protesters are geographically specific with regards to their effectiveness in keeping impoverished, rural and isolated women from obtaining easy abortions.

Not so, for urban, middle class and mobile women. Makes you wonder why the protesters pick on the marginalized women?

[/quote]

Or maybe rural areas are just more conservative overall and so have more protesters. On top of that one of the main disadvantages of living in a rural area is that you have to drive some distance to reach most services. That goes for everything from grocery stores to abortion providers. If you want everything close by, then live in an urban area.

Either way they are picking on them with what, peaceful protests? I'm sure that the protesters hurt their feelings real bad. Call a waambulance and get them a hug stat. :yawn:

Why do you assume that there is no one standing up for life in urban areas? Good people are praying near these killing factories everywhere. The reality is that abortion mills are typically located in poorer areas.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:5, topic:202459"]
On top of that one of the main disadvantages of living in a rural area is that you have to drive some distance to reach most services. That goes for everything from grocery stores to abortion providers. If you want everything close by, then live in an urban area.

[/quote]

One of the disadvantages of living in a rural area is that you forgo many of the services and amenities of more populated areas. Abortion is a specialized surgical procedure, and demand is relatively low per capita. Because rural areas are, by definition, low density in population, they are unlikely to provide enough clients to keep an abortion clinic in business.

Its not a conspiracy or an organized effort to make abortion unavailable in rural areas, its just plain economics.

Or maybe rural areas are just more conservative overall and so have more protesters. On top of that one of the main disadvantages of living in a rural area is that you have to drive some distance to reach most services. That goes for everything from grocery stores to abortion providers. If you want everything close by, then live in an urban area.

Either way they are picking on them with what, peaceful protests? I'm sure that the protesters hurt their feelings real bad. Call a waambulance and get them a hug stat. :yawn:

[/quote]

...I notice that many Catholics get very, very upset when rainbow groups peacefully protest inside and outside their church's.

[quote="Zatzat, post:8, topic:202459"]
...I notice that many Catholics get very, very upset when rainbow groups peacefully protest inside and outside their church's.

[/quote]

I'm no longer Catholic, but I think protests inside a church are very inappropriate and disrespectful. Outside a church is okay, but not inside, especially during religious services.

[quote="Zatzat, post:8, topic:202459"]

[/quote]

there is no right to assemble on private property. as long as rainbow sashers are on public land then they can protest as much as they like.

How is it not accessible?

Just because someone had to drive for a few hours with their boyfriend, it is their choice for living in a rural area, they will obviously had difficulty accessing "services".....

What does she want, door to door abortionists?

And who does she want to pay for it? It seems she is upset she has to pay for this.... If she had been a little less selfish she could have had the baby and put it up for adoption, and she wouldn't be out a penny. But no, it's more convenient to throw the child away - heaven forfend that her other child does not get sick; taking him to the hospital might be too much hassle.

:shrug:

What would you call the women who invaded the Catholic church in Montreal throwing used tampons at the walls and alter. in protest to have women ordained .Protesting their human rights?.what about the rights of the congregation who had to clean up their filthy mess and avoid contamination from possible infection.These women did not belong to this congregation they had never contributed to it financially so what they done was vandalism and wer,e supposed to deal with them like civilized human beings.If women are ever ordained I hope these women don,t end up in my parish.

[quote="Dale_M, post:7, topic:202459"]
One of the disadvantages of living in a rural area is that you forgo many of the services and amenities of more populated areas. Abortion is a specialized surgical procedure, and demand is relatively low per capita. Because rural areas are, by definition, low density in population, they are unlikely to provide enough clients to keep an abortion clinic in business.

Its not a conspiracy or an organized effort to make abortion unavailable in rural areas, its just plain economics.

[/quote]

Thank you Dale for saying the obvious. What say you Zatzat?

[quote="canadianguy1143, post:13, topic:202459"]
Thank you Dale for saying the obvious. What say you Zatzat?

[/quote]

I'd say he didn't read the article very carefully. Else he would have seen that in many cases, local Doctors, because of the invasive protesters, can't be bothered offering the service.

[quote="Zatzat, post:14, topic:202459"]
I'd say he didn't read the article very carefully. Else he would have seen that in many cases, local Doctors, because of the invasive protesters, can't be bothered offering the service.

[/quote]

Your posts are confusing Zatzat. Perhaps you can clarify. Initially you said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Pro-Lifers are protesting at the abortion clinics because that is where the abortions take place. Pro lifers do not choose the site of abortion clinics. In fact if it was up to them there would be none anywhere. As for the charge that you make that Pro-lifers are focusing their efforts on women in rural areas. I would like to know how you can tell someone from a rural area from the city? Pro Lifers want to stop abortions from any woman, not just rural areas. With this effort, it means that rural area women are going to have pay more for abortions. The article mentions about how privacy is much harder for rural area women than city women, I have to wonder that if another abortion clinic opens up in rural area, how much less privacy they will have.

[/quote]

The article mentions one instance, in the city of Kelowna, BC. But with a population of 100,000 (and growing rapidly) I wouldn't consider Kelowna to be rural.

I don't doubt that abortion protesters deter some doctors from providing abortions. But this is not a specifically rural issue. And, as the article mentioned, hospital policy against abortion, and doctors with moral objections to abortion, are also barriers. It is, perhaps, a bit much to blame pro-life protesters for the difficulty in finding abortion services.

theglobeandmail.com/news/national/despite-being-legal-abortions-still-not-accessible-for-all-canadians/article1610254/
She awoke at 2 a.m. and began her journey along darkened roads and highways. By morning, sleepless and nervous, she pulled up to the plain brick abortion clinic in Fredericton.*

This is not right! All doctors should be forced, legally, to provide abortions, or else the government should revoke their license to practice medicine! Women are still dying in back alley abortions! [/crocodile tears off]

Kimberley’s mind was made up. The mother of a toddler, she was pregnant again and wanted an abortion. But as a resident of Prince Edward Island, which doesn’t have a single abortion provider, she had to drive over four hours with her boyfriend to New Brunswick,

Women, stand up for your rights! The government has the duty to open abortion clinics in rural areas, tax-payer funded, obviously, for the sake of women's health! These are reproduction health services! [/abortion is every bit about reproduction health, just as Planned Parenthood is all about parenting. LOL]

dodge anti-abortion protesters, then pay $600 out of her own pocket for the procedure.

More unjustice on women. We should have all learned by now, that we are all entitled to the government, and the rich, paying our way in life. The government should quickly enact a new "health services" tax, to be deducted from those who earn more than $120K per year, so that single mothers who cannot bear the excessive and cruel burden of chastity, will not die anymore in back alley abortions. [/just kidding]

[/quote]

One more thing I forgot, and it's important. The poor boyfriend of this woman, who impregnated her, should never EVER be put through such an ordeal, as having to wake up at 2 a.m., and having to drive his girlfriend to the abortion clinic. The government should provide limo services to this woman, funded by an extra tax levied upon the rich who make more than $120K a year, as well as deliver breakfast in bed to the poor boyfriend, who is understandably worried at this time that the abortion should proceed well, and his unborn child, oops, I mean the pregnancy, be "terminated" smoothly. [/irresistible urge to throw up]

[/quote]

You do realize that those protesters were in Fredericton, the capital city of the province of New Brunswick, don't you?? Not exactly a rural setting by any stretch of the imagination.

PEI has a smaller population than some cities (135,851) and has no doctor willing to do abortions (and I doubt that it's because they're all pro-life). The province will pay for abortions if they are done in a hospital but not in an abortion clinic.

She awoke at 2 a.m. and began her journey along darkened roads and highways. By morning, sleepless and nervous, she pulled up to the plain brick abortion clinic in Fredericton. The protesters were already waiting.

“You have other options,” cried a middle-aged woman clutching a rosary, patrolling the sidewalk steps from the clinic entrance. “You don’t have to go through with it.”

Kimberley’s mind was made up. The mother of a toddler, she was pregnant again and wanted an abortion. But as a resident of Prince Edward Island, which doesn’t have a single abortion provider, she had to drive over four hours with her boyfriend to New Brunswick, dodge anti-abortion protesters, then pay $600 out of her own pocket for the procedure.*

[/quote]

Sorry to correct you ONCE AGAIN Zatzat,but abortion has no status in Canada it is neither legal or illegal.The law was vacated by an activist Supreme court and our cowardly lion politicians fear to enact a law.That's why it's not a crime(not quite the same thing as being legal),and as I proved to you in another post,it is not a crime in Canada to murder a human being as he/she exits the Mother's Vagina ,which of course you denied until I provided proof and you disappeared as usual. You really are a one MAN band when it comes to the culture of death aren't you?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.