Desposyni

In one of our discussions post Service -(we Episcopaleans have a coffee hour" I was referred to the following quote:

who are the desposyni -? :cool:

Eusebius has also preserved an extract from a work by Hegesippus (c.110-c.180), who wrote five books (now lost except for some quotations by Eusebius) of Commentaries on the Acts of the Church. The extract refers to the period from the reign of Domitian (81-96) to that of Trajan (98-117), includes the statement that two Desposyni brought before Domitian later became leaders of the churches:[9]

There still survived of the kindred of the Lord the grandsons of Judas, who according to the flesh was called his brother. These were informed against, as belonging to the family of David, and Evocatus brought them before Domitian Caesar: for that emperor dreaded the advent of Christ, as Herod had done. So he asked them whether they were of the family of David; and they confessed they were. Next he asked them what property they had, or how much money they possessed. They both replied that they had only 9000 denaria between them, each of them owning half that sum; but even this they said they did not possess in cash, but as the estimated value of some land, consisting of thirty-nine plethra only, out of which they had to pay the dues, and that they supported themselves by their own labour. And then they began to hold out their hands, exhibiting, as proof of their manual labour, the roughness of their skin, and the corns raised on their hands by constant work. Being then asked concerning Christ and His kingdom, what was its nature, and when and where it was to appear, they returned answer that it was not of this world, nor of the earth, but belonging to the sphere of heaven and angels, and would make its appearance at the end of time, when He shall come in glory, and judge living and dead, and render to every one according to the course of his life. Thereupon Domitian passed no condemnation upon them, but treated them with contempt, as too mean for notice, and let them go free. At the same time he issued a command, and put a stop to the persecution against the Church. When they were released they became leaders of the churches, as was natural in the case of those who were at once martyrs and of the kindred of the Lord. And, after the establishment of peace to the Church, their lives were prolonged to the reign of Trajan. Eusebius of Caesarea, Historia Ecclesiae, 3:20

Blood relatives of Jesus.

I do not want to rehash the Brothers and sisters issue-so from the Catholic viewpoint these would be relatives of the Blessed Virgin-since Jesus and Joseph would not share any DNA:cool:

The only blood relative of Jesus is Mary.

I know that, I was just defining the term as the academic community defines it.

Paul (formerly Mormon, now happily Catholic)

But Mary surely had brothers and sisters and cousins right-John the Baptist-Simeon -Stephen:cool:

What does that have to do with brothers and sisters of Christ? :cool:

:thumbsup:

Why wouldn’t you consider cousins and second cousins as blood relatives? They’d be so called by common usage today.

I agree =thank you for clarifying-I did not want to stir up a discussion vis a vie brothers and sisters:cool:

Yes, you are quite correct. I was thinking in terms of brothers and sisters but my statement was inaccurate as written. We know that John the Baptist was a cousin of Jesus, for example. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.