Destroy this temple (naos)

Why are two different words used for Temple in John 2?

Drives moneychangers out of Temple (hieron**)**

Destroy this temple (naos)

Is it like born again and born from above?

THANKS!

Did I get the correct words?

**THANKS!

From what I remember, naos refers specifically to the Temple sanctuary. Hieron just meant temple in general, like the whole building.

So Jesus seems to be comparing his body, not just to the temple building itself, but to the inner sanctuary of the temple, where the very presence of God dwelt physically.

In other words, Jesus’ body IS where the presence of God dwells among us. The Word made flesh.:thumbsup:

See I thought of it still a little deeper…

One refers to the temple in Jerusalem built by the Jews (hieron)= a building or structure, a work of human hands…Which was His Fathers house which Jesus felt was being disrespected by the money changers and the run of animals. The other refers to the temple of the Holy Spirit (US) who are the body of Christ… Not made with human hands but the Holy spirit of God uniting us as the body of Christ or Church = Isreal completed… leading us towards the new Jerusalem (heaven)…

Jesus prophesied that the Temple would be destroyed and rebuilt upon Himself in 3 days. When Jesus died he carried the sins of the world upon Him forgiving sins once and for all as the sacrificial lamb and when He rose again in 3 days later He rebuilt the temple to create His body = the Church or bringing Israel to completion making a temple (WE are the temple -naos- of the Holy Spirit where God is found, not just for the Jews but for all)…, the Holy spirit binding us to Jesus because of our baptism (which makes us a child of God/born of God) so that we would receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit… grace…

Like Robyn said: In other words, Jesus’ body IS where the presence of God dwells among us.

:thumbsup:

Thanks!!!

Any further help?

Okay, are you ready for a good laugh?

Bow?

Cloud?

Genesis 9: 13
“I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.”

Is the a hunting bow?

Is this a rainbow?

Is this a rain cloud?

Is this the cloud of the Holy Spirit?

THANKS!

Jim,

By itself, the Hebrew word for “bow” could either refer to a “hunting bow” or a “rainbow.” There are good arguments for both.

1. Hunting/Military Bow - In some Ancient Near Eastern (ANE) mythologies, many of which have parallels or connections to biblical narratives, the gods conquer chaos with weapons. In the Enuma Elish, the main antagonist deity, Marduk, is seen with a bow, which he retires after he conquers the chaos. Perhaps there is a connection here (God hanging his war bow indicates a time of peace).

2. Rainbow - When a rainbow appears in the Bible, it is in connection with the presence of God (see Ez 1:28; Rev 4:3). This describes an actual rainbow, not a hunting bow.

Ultimately, the correct understanding is probably a combination of both images. If the bow in Genesis does represent a war bow, it does so in the form of a rainbow. In light of this, clouds seem to imply simple clouds (rain and non-rain).

ScriptStudent

What about the “cloud”?

THANKS!

Jim,

As I already mentioned at the end of my last post, cloud simply means cloud. Certain parts of the Bible have clouds as part of a theophany, but I believe you would be hard pressed to associate the clouds in Genesis 9 with such imagery. Context of the narrative and use of the (rain)bow imagery implies that the clouds just emphasize a bow in the sky.

Thanks!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.