detachment

how does one begin to detach ones self from worldly things?

Buddhism is better suited to answer this question.

but i want a catholic answer not a budist:(

You asked a Buddhist question.

It’s a *very *Catholic question.

The mystics all spoke of detachement, and its necessity to enter spiritual union with God - read the works of St John of the Corss and St Theresa of Avila especially. And Jesus definitely spoke of it in the gospels (Mathew 19:21, Mark 10:17-27).

It’s a topic I struggle to understand properly, and to know how to apply it in my own life, so I’m very keen to hear responses to this thread.

How is it a Buddhist question? Just because the Buddhists ask it?

Detachment is common to both. It was an element of platonism as well.

hmm that would depend upon you! and detatchment is NOT a Buddhist question. we (as CAtholics) are not to be attatched to this world, or anything of the world

Now here is a big question. If Buddhism answered the question, would you look into it?

Catholicism, St. Francis of Assisi in particular, is better suited to answer this question, buddhism is a false religion. :cool::cool:

No I wouldnt. Buddhism cannot offer me what CHRIST offered me. HIS Life. Dalai Lama, nor Buddha didnt die for me.

To answer your quote with a Catholic answer, I will begin:

My patron saint is St. Francis of Assisi. He strove to imitate Our LORD PERFECTLY!buddha never got close to what St. Francis of Assisi did. Our LORD told the rich young man to sell all that he had and to come follow him. Our LORD told us “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where the moth and rust eats, nor where the thieves steal”. “Blessed are the Poor, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven” - I wonder if Siththarma buddha ever said anything close to being so beautiful or wise…

There are certain assumptions to this question.

First, it is assumed that it is the only one answering the question. As mentioned above Christians and platonists more generally have always spoken of detachment.

Second, it assumes that detachment is a good thing. Why is detachment better than attachment?

I find it ironic that “Interestedman” would venture to answer a question on detachment.

Now, if someone named “Disinterestedman” offered I might take the answer more seriously.

In Buddhism, detachement leads to extinction.

In Christianity, detachement prepares one for the wonders of God’s love and spiritual union with Him. I’ll go with this option thanks.

Take for yourselves no purse, nor two tunics, etc.

Our LORD said it best. If you want a living example, look at St. Francis of Assisi.

I feel called to do the same, give up everything for the Kingdom of Heaven. Anyway, St. Francis of Assisi was dirt poor. He gave everything away. He fasted, kept vigils etc. He cried night and day over our SAVIORS suffering. He preached a purity and simplicity of heart that no eastern philosophy could approach. He made a bridge between the Muslims and Christians. He preached the gospel and created an Order that to this day has saved the souls of many, both through the Order and the actions from the Order. All He wanted to do was to preach the Gospel. If it was nessecary, then to use words as well.

Pray to St. Francis of Assisi, and Our LORD to ask THEM to help you become detached.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

We don’t become Christians because we want to be detached from inordinate attachments.

We try to become detached because we believe God is our ultimate joy and fulfilment, and our inordinate attachments are barriers to our relationship with God.

that is why the Dalai Lama has recently come out saying “my life is empty,” literally. So this man pursued his religion and look where it has led him.

Non believers are here by sufferance as long as they abide by the rules. One of the rules is that you do not in any way attempt to persuade a Catholic to leave their faith. You are right on the edge with your question. :tsktsk:

Begin by giving things away…I don’t mean everything{/u] like Jesus suggested to the rich young man…but look around and see…what do you have that you have not used in the last ------say-----six months or year. Can you part with it? If not - why not??

Answering these questions will begin to tell you how attached you are to things.

By giving away these things you will begin to see how easily you can get along on less…
An added bonus might well be how much more simple your life is.

The above is just an idea to help you begin to understand what attachment is and once you begin to understand that, you will begin to recognize ways to become more detached from these things…

This principle can then be applied to non- material things as well…Like anger and other faults that we seek to over come.

Hope this helps a bit.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.