Detroit Area - Upcoming Sunday Talks in December and January

HI All,

Just want to bring to the attention of anyone in the metro-Detroit area and beyond that there are some great talks coming up at Assumption Grotto Parish in Detroit.

These kinds of things happen with regularity at Grotto and there are several clustered

All of these follow the Noon Mass, which has benediction immediately following. It ends around 1:10-1:15 at which time you can buy a hot dog, hamburger or sausage and the usual donuts and beverages before the talks start.

On December 4, 2005

St. Monica Sodality of Michigan invites you to a talk on St. Monica by Fr. Earl Muller, S.J. Sunday, December 4th. He will speak in the school lounge at 1:30 pm (flyer says 1:45). For information, call Jerry & Louise Hand at 586-731-1065.

Title: “Remember Monica: Observations on the Unity of Augustine’s Confessions”

Introduction by Fr. John Bustamante, Associate Pastor (for all those St. Cyril & Methodius folk who miss him :smiley: )

On December 11, 2005

Day of Recollection (Opus Sanctorum Angelorum)
Topic: The Holy Angels Guide us to the Manger
By: Fr. Titus Kieninger, ORC and Fr. Eusebius Schwald, ORC

2:00 1st Conference
3:00 2nd Conference followed by Q & A
4:15 Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
5:00 Benediction

Beginning January 8th, 2nd and 4th Sundays

Sunday series on Veritatis Splendor by Dr. George De Pillo

Note: If you are not a regular Grotto-goer, you may want to find out if this class is open to non-parshioners. If it is like all the other things, all are usually welcome, but contact one of the people below to be sure.

This is a series by Dr. George De Pillo who is returning to Grotto as promised to offer the opporutunity to take a deep look at Philosophy through the wisdom of Pope John Paul II using his Encyclical, “Veritatis Splendor”. He will also be incorporating the document into our understanding of ethics and moral philosophy.

Dr. De Pillo’s classes are free except for the simple cost of a book which he will order and for which we will reimburse him. **Our classes will start January 8th, beginning with an informational meeting. The classes will be on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month at 1:30pm in the school. **

Dr. De Pillo’s last class offered at Grotto, Philosophia Perennis, had an overwhelming response with 70 people attending. Dr. George , also a devotee of Fr. John A. Hardon, is an excellent teacher and entertaining fellow and will surely stretch our minds to grasp the rich theology and philosophy contained in this encyclical.

Contact Brigette Pietro (586) 739-4047, Tammy Bertollini (586) 264-5232, or Karen Beauregard (586) 264-3789.

assumptiongrotto.com/maps.html

assumptiongrotto.com

Diane:

I might check the one in January out (I will be in Germany for the Dec 3 one and suffering from jet lag for the December 10 one).

PF

I’m not sure how long that one starting in January lasts. It says 2nd and 4th Sundays, but does it go beyond January? I have to find out.

Bump :slight_smile: :smiley: :bounce: :bowdown:

**Thanks for the info Diane!

Who does the organizing for all of your events at the Grotto? You seem to have a very active community there. :thumbsup:

Don’t forget to let the “Detroit’s Tridentine Mass” thread this info as well :wink: .

Maggie**

[quote=Morning Glory]Thanks for the info Diane!

**Who does the organizing for all of your events at the Grotto? You seem to have a very active community there. :thumbsup: **

Don’t forget to let the “Detroit’s Tridentine Mass” thread this info as well :wink: .

Maggie
[/quote]

HI Maggie,

I did put a link from that thread to this one. Hopefully, folks saw it.

To be honest, I have no idea who arranges for all these talks. I believe the pastor does some, but there are many apostolates and other groups that bring people in too. Like, the St. Monica Sodality is bringing in the one speaker.

Not long ago, we had Dr. Traecy (I believe first name was Alice), from the Ave Maria University school of sacred music. She reviewed the history of Sacred Music starting with the earliest - Gregorian Chant and worked here way up with examples. It was great.

The “Days of Recollection” are done by the Canons of the Holy Cross. While they don’t live on the grounds, they work out of the convent that is within the Grotto compound. They offer us these Days of Recollection, which are like one-day retreats, several times yearly. I’ve been at Grotto only since May and I this will be the third one I’ve attended.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.