Detroit Police Chief Gives Credit to Armed Citizens for Drop in Crime

detroitnews.com/article/20140716/METRO01/307160034

Criminals are getting the message that good Detroiters are armed and will use that weapon,” said Craig, who has repeatedly said he believes armed citizens deter crime. “I don’t want to take away from the good work our investigators are doing, but I think part of the drop in crime, and robberies in particular, is because criminals are thinking twice that citizens could be armed.

“I can’t say what specific percentage is caused by this, but there’s no question in my mind it has had an effect,” Craig said.

So an armed citizenry lowers crime.

Who knew?:shrug:

But only redneck southerners with missing teeth would want to carry something as evil and demonic as a gun, or so I have started reading on this website.

John Matrix: I understand the point you’re making, but I think it’s better to discuss the issue civilly and without sarcasm. The way you phrased your point will only further antagonize people against you.

And how do you know that wasn’t my intent?

Kidding :slight_smile:

:sad_yes:

Meanwhile … in “gun controlled Chicago”

crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/

You bet it does.

My sister used to work in a restraunt/bar in Oregon. They allow folks to carry guns there, but when entering a bar they have to check them in if they are headed for the bar. They had no trouble with fights, robberies or general rough behavior because ALL the patrons knew full well that if trouble broke out the bar keep would hand out the guns to the owners, pickup one themselves or give one to the bouncer. No one was stupid enough to test the system. (This was in cattle/ranch country and everyone used guns.)

And they taught their kids how to handle them, why they were dangerous and what they could do. Toddlers knew better than to touch a gun or play with one because they were exposed to the realities of hunting as part of the way they lived and ate. No one let their kids play with the darn things, but they sure taught them that they killed and were not toys in the first place.

In countries where the citizens are not allowed to be armed they actually have more murders which are carried out using rocks, knives and other weapons like pipes and tree branches, or beatings. Guns are not the problem. People are.

Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.