Deus Ex: Human Revolution

when you think of morality in video games, it is extremely black and white. just look at fallout 3 (i haven’t played New Vegas), you are ether the embodiment of good or evil with little to no neutral options

recently i hear about this game coming out that may have some real moral dilemmas for the players to consider. specifically with the ethics of transhumanism.

but of course, as Catholics we would be against this idea. I think there is nothing wrong with having a robotic limb replaced after an accident, but for people who willingly have their arms replace just so they can be super soldiers is an abomination on God’s design.

another interesting thing i find in this game is (from what i can find) that the main character is against this idea at first, but after almost being killed he is forced to be given robotic limbs and organs in order to survive. at this point, i believe the player can start to shape the characters view to be for it or against it.

As this is only a game, why are the moral beliefs even an issue?

I mean, we should be concerned about games that teach violent behaviors to be used in the real world. But the issues you describe will not be "real" for decades, if at all. Science is nowhere near creating an equal replacement for the good old human limbs.

We should save our worry for things that affect the here and now. I, FWIW, doubt very much that anybody'd ever give up his human limbs for mechanical ones.

ICXC NIKA

An abomination maybe, but a super cool one.

well, in some games the player has to make certain choices that will effect the game’s story

I mean, we should be concerned about games that teach violent behaviors to be used in the real world.

ok, that is a complete load of garbage.

But the issues you describe will not be “real” for decades, if at all. Science is nowhere near creating an equal replacement for the good old human limbs.

the game takes place in the future, but that does not even matter since it is a game. also, this is closer then you think. since this is a game, if you are not a gamer then you will not understand

yes, when i play i will opt to be the most super of super soldiers to make the game more fun while still having my character say its wrong. only a little hypocritical

[quote="I_R, post:4, topic:230737"]
also, this is closer then you think. since this is a game, if you are not a gamer then you will not understand

[/quote]

I am a gamer... I don't understand how you think bionic limbs are closer than we think. You're talking "I, Robot" stuff... define "closer".

those two sentences are not directly related. i say bionic limbs are closer then we think because some amputees did get experimental prototypes. then i say, that if one is not a gamer then they will not understand games in general

[quote="I_R, post:7, topic:230737"]
those two sentences are not directly related. i say bionic limbs are closer then we think because some amputees did get experimental prototypes. then i say, that if one is not a gamer then they will not understand games in general

[/quote]

ahhhh ok... I was gonna say... I missed something at the last meeting of geekdom :D

well, this game takes place in the year 2027 and the technology looks way to unrealistic for 16 years in the future. so the actual set up is a bit of a stretch, but i am confident that the morality will be fairly realistic. also, if you are not a fan of BS conspiracy theories then you may not like the story as in the other Deus Ex games had a lot of them. I, for one, will suspend my disbelief for this game

I never did care too much for the Dues Ex series for that reason. When I want in depth stories I play rpgs… I want my shooters to have just enough of a story to keep the bullets flying :slight_smile:

the Deus Ex games are RPGs which so happen to be in the first person

[quote="I_R, post:11, topic:230737"]
the Deus Ex games are RPGs which so happen to be in the first person

[/quote]

True. I'm more of a "traditionalist" I guess when I think of RPGs. Took me forever to start playing Mass Effect, the third one's about to come out and I'm a whopping 9 hours into the first :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.