Deuterocanonical books

I was reading the old testament and i realized i don’t know very many verses from the Deuterocanonical Books. What are some important verses from these books, other then the famous verses in 2 Maccabees that support purgatory and the intercession of saints.

Surely these rank:

Eleven Points of Contact Between the New Testament and the Deuterocanonical Books of the Old Testament
By Gary Michuta

Is it true that the New Testament contains no references to the Deuterocanonical books, indicating that the inspired writers did not consider them to be an inspired source?

As all readers of the New Testament know, Our Blessed Lord and the sacred writers who consigned His doctrine to writing very often alluded to and actually quoted from the existing books of Scripture already complete at that time (the books which later became known as the Old Testament). There are over 330 direct quotations from the Old Testament included within the New and many more oblique references. This is an important fact; indeed, it was used by several of the early Fathers as a refutation of Marcionism, that ancient heresy which denied the inspiration of the Hebrew Scriptures and held them to be of no value for Christians. More recently, however, some Protestant polemicists have suggested that the quoting of an Old Testament book within the pages of the New can be used as a test of canonicity; and that there are no such quotations from the Deuterocanonical books. The New Testament writers ignored the Deuteros altogether (or so the argument goes) and this apostolic “cold shoulder” is an infallible sign that the books in question are not to be regarded as Scripture.

Actually, the force of this argument, so commonly heard today, depends almost entirely upon ignorance of the contents of the Deuteros; most of the early Protestants were too familiar with them to even suggest such an absurd idea. Several early Protestant bibles not only included the Deuterocanon along with the New Testament, but actually contained cross-referencing notes pointing out the (supposedly non-existent) connections between the two! The original 1611 edition of the Protestant King James Bible, for instance, boasts eleven of such cross-references (and 102 between the Deuteros and the Old Testament!). The notes were removed from future editions.

To refute then this fallacious argument, let us begin here using the venerable King James Bible as our starting point. Let us examine the eleven points of contact recognized by the fathers of this greatest of all English bibles and see what they tell us about the relationship between the New Testament and that portion of the Old known as the Deuterocanon. (Michuta, Gary, Why Catholic Bibles Are Bigger, 26-27)

Matthew 6:14-15
14 For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Sirach 28:2
Forgive your neighbor’s injustice; then when you pray, your own sins will be forgiven.

+++

Luke 6:31
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Tobit 4:15
Do to no one what you yourself dislike. Do not drink wine till you become drunk, nor let drunkenness accompany you on your way.

+++

Matthew 27:41-43
41In the same way the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the elders mocked him. 42 “He saved others,” they said, "but he can’t save himself! He’s the King of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. 43 He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ "

Wisdom 2:15-18
15 Because his life is not like other men’s, and different are his ways. 16 He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father. 17 Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him. 18 For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. 19 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. 20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him." 21 These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them, 22 And they knew not the hidden counsels of God; neither did they count on a recompense of holiness nor discern the innocent souls’ reward.

+++

Luke 14:13
13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,

Tobit 4:7
"Give alms from your possessions. Do not turn your face away from any of the poor, and God’s face will not be turned away from you.

+++

John 10:22
22 Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter,

1 Maccabees 4:59
Then Judas and his brothers and the entire congregation of Israel decreed that the days of the dedication of the altar should be observed with joy and gladness on the anniversary every year for eight days, from the twenty-fifth day of the month Chislev.

+++

Romans 9:20
20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ "

Wisdom 12:12
12 For who can say to you, “What have you done?” or who can oppose your decree? Or when peoples perish, who can challenge you, their maker; or who can come into your presence as vindicator of unjust men?
+++

Romans 9:21
21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

Wisdom 15:7
For truly the potter, laboriously working the soft earth, molds for our service each several article: Both the vessels that serve for clean purposes and their opposites, all alike; As to what shall be the use of each vessel of either class the worker in clay is the judge.

(cont.)

Romans 9:22
22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

Wisdom 12:20
20 For these were enemies of your servants, doomed to death; yet, while you punished them with such solicitude and pleading, granting time and opportunity to abandon wickedness,

+++

Romans 11:34
34 “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”

Wisdom 9:13
For what man knows God’s counsel, or who can conceive what our LORD intends?

+++

2 Corinthians 9:7
7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Sirach 35:9
Give to the Most High as he has given to you, generously, according to your means.

+++

Hebrews 1:3
3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

Wisdom 7:26
For she is the refulgence of eternal light, the spotless mirror of the power of God, the image of his goodness.

+++

Hebrews 11:35
35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection.

2 Maccabees 7:7
Do not be afraid of this executioner, but be worthy of your brothers and accept death, so that in the time of mercy I may receive you again with them."

+++

1 Maccabees 2:52
Was not Abraham found faithful when tested, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness?

James 2: 21
Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by works, 23 and the scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness”; and he was called the friend of God. 24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Thank you for these verses i feel like i need to know them better for when protestants question why we have 7 books they don’t have.:slight_smile:

The Eucharist and transubstantiation is can be found in Wisdom 16:17-23 and again in Wisdom 19.

For the elements changed places with one another,
as on a harp the notes vary the nature of the rhythm,
while each note remains the same.
This may be clearly inferred from the sight of what took place.
For land animals were transformed into water creatures,
and creatures that swim moved over to the land.
Fire even in water retained its normal power,
and water forgot its fire-quenching nature.
Flames, on the contrary, failed to consume
the flesh of perishable creatures that walked among them,
nor did they melt the crystalline, easily melted
kind of heavenly food.

(Wisdom 19:18-21)

-Tim-

And zillion years ago I started a thread here on whether or not there were any doctrines of the Catholic Church whose only biblical support was found in the Deuterocanonical books. The general consensus was that there were none.

It seems like a lot of protestants hate these books because they confirm Catholic doctrine.

Agreed, but those same doctrines can also be supported from the protocanonical books. I’m not saying that to detract from the deuterocanonicals, either.

One of my favorite books of the Old Testament is the Book of Wisdom (Wisdom of Solomon). Three of my favorite scripture passages from the book are: 3:1-9; 6:12-16; 13:1-9 :thumbsup:

Yes, and I think it is also a reference to the Exodus. The heavenly food being the manna. The land animals becoming water creatures references where the red sea closed in on the Egyptian army. The water creature coming on land would be the plague of frogs. The pillar of fire (a theophany) which changed from water to fire, or cloud to fire, day in and day out. People walked among the pillar and did not burn, nor did it destroy the manna.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.