Deuteronomy 22:5 (Proper attire for men and women)

“A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.”

We have decided that the men of our family will no longer wear shorts, but only pants outside of Church. During the Mass, Sunday best of course.
The women are to wear long dresses inside and outside of Church. Long hair only, no short hair or pants/pantsuites for the women.

How many other Catholic families are adopting this lifestyle? From what I have read of the Church Fathers and what Our Lady said at Fatima, God looks at your dress style.

Considering I look like a scraggly rat with long hair, no thank you. It’s much more manageable when it’s short. And short hair can still look feminine and beautiful. People tell me I look prettier with short hair and that it shows off my eyes more.

Long dresses? Heck no!!! Sorry, I like my pants, much more comfortable.

I don’t dress like I’m trying to sell my body. I think that’s where Our Lady of Fatima was going.

I also like to go for runs, so dresses aren’t going to cut it for me.

Btw, no one wore pants when the Bible was written…and in many cultures, men wear skirt like clothes. Women wear pants in others.

If it works for you, go for it. Not gonna work for me. And I’m sure the Lord won’t send me to Hell over it.

Since modern pants, whether designed for either men or women, are a fairly recent development in the history of clothing (at least in Western culture) I’m not sure that Deuteronomy 22:5 can be applied to them.

12 Point Summary:

First, male and female clothing was distinct during biblical times. The passage from Deuteronomy saying that men should not dress like women and women should not dress like men must have made sense to the Israelites. They lived the Scriptures before they wrote them down.

Second, though men wore robes, women's dresses were distinctly different.

Third, during New Testament times, Roman soldiers did wear trousers, so pants were known and were worn only by men.

Fourth, for a very long time in the Church, men wore pants and women did not. This had become established within Christian culture as one of the main differences between men's and women's clothing. Only very recently has this difference been obscured.

Fifth, Padre Pio would not even hear the confession of women who wore pants.

Sixth, the passage from Deuteronomy specifically forbids unisex clothing. Even if some persons or many persons in ancient times dressed the same, Scripture is still true and must still be obeyed.

Seventh, when the Virgin Mary appears in apparitions, she is always wearing a dress, never pants. All of the images and statues of her throughout the history of the Church present her wearing a dress, never pants.

Eighth, when visiting the Pope or the Vatican, women are not permitted to wear pants. And they must wear a headcovering. When George Bush and his wife Laura visited the Pope recently, she wore a dress and a headcovering.

Ninth, some Protestant groups still retain this insight, based on Scripture, that women should dress in a feminine manner, should not wear pants, and should wear a headcovering.

Tenth, clothing is an expression of behavior and role. Even in our sinful society, clothing is still associated with roles, for example: police officers, judges, nurses, priests, nuns, and others wear particular clothing appropriate to and indicative of their roles. And one's clothing is also an indicator of behavior and attitude. For example, nuns who are obedient to the Church like to wear the habit, but those who are disobedient hate to wear it.

Eleventh, men and women are meant to have different roles in the Church, the family, and society. Men and women are meant to have different behaviors. Clothing is an indicator and expression of that important difference. So, the more important thing is the correct roles and behaviors for men and women. That is the main point of that passage from Scripture.

Twelfth, when a woman gives up wearing pants and strives to dress in a manner pleasing to Christ and Mary, even though the culture around her tells her otherwise, she will be blessed by God and her prayers will be answered.

Christ told me to love my neighbor. He never told me how to dress.

I’m pretty sure God said it was the heart that mattered, not appearances. Read 1st Samuel.

And my clothing is feminine. It was made for a woman. I’d like to see a guy wear clothing designed to contain hips and breasts. Clothing that’s also pretty and decorated in what society considers a feminine manner :smiley:

Also, other cultures, women do wear pants. Pants for men only is a Western invention.

Also, St. Gianna Molla wore pants. Obviously, God didn’t hold that against her or she wouldn’t be a saint. So did Joan of Arc, btw. Apparently, God didn’t mind having female saints that were also medical doctors or soldiers.

If my God looks more at my clothing than at my other actions, intentions, or how I lived my life, He’s no better than those snobby, stuck up chicks I knew in high school and I wouldn’t want any part of His Heaven.

[quote="sanctamaria17, post:5, topic:205711"]
Christ told me to love my neighbor. He never told me how to dress.

I'm pretty sure God said it was the heart that mattered, not appearances. Read 1st Samuel.

And my clothing is feminine. It was made for a woman. I'd like to see a guy wear clothing designed to contain hips and breasts. Clothing that's also pretty and decorated in what society considers a feminine manner :D

Also, other cultures, women do wear pants. Pants for men only is a Western invention.

Also, St. Gianna Molla wore pants. Obviously, God didn't hold that against her or she wouldn't be a saint. So did Joan of Arc, btw. Apparently, God didn't mind having female saints that were also medical doctors or soldiers.

If my God looks more at my clothing than at my other actions, intentions, or how I lived my life, He's no better than those snobby, stuck up chicks I knew in high school and I wouldn't want any part of His Heaven.

[/quote]

What society considers isn't what you should go by. Look to the Blessed Mother. How she dressed is how women should dress.

Our Lady of Fatima told Jacinta, “Certain fashions will be introduced which will offend my Son very much. More people go to hell because of sins of the flesh than for any other reason.”
Jacinta also said, “Fashions will much offend Our Lord. People who serve God should not follow fashions. The Church has no fashions. Our Lord is always the same.”
This warning of Our Lady of Fatima has come to pass, so much so that even many Catholic parishes have lost the sense of Christian modesty and decency.
Under mandate of Pope Pius XI, who began his pontificate five years after the Fatima apparitions, the Vatican’s Sacred Congregation of the Council issued guidelines to all bishops on this subject:
“A dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers’ breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knees. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper.”

Well, maybe you should look at your own words because society ALSO considers skirts and dresses feminine and that was born out of the developments of Western culture. Seriously, Thai images of Our Lady show her with a visible belly and balloon pants…because that’s how the culture dresses! Likewise, some island cultures have strict sexual mores but women have exposed breasts. And yes, some of these people are Catholics.

Also, Our Lady of Fatima is a private revelation, so Catholics aren’t necessarily bound to it.

Again, you didn’t address St. Gianna Molla’s ski pants. Or St. Joan of Arc’s male clothing. Apparently, God doesn’t care.

And that was an old teaching, now there’s new clothes, new standards apply.

OK, I will admit it. I am a woman who once wore pants to a Midnight Mass celebrated by a bishop! I also wore a flak vest and a helmet; did I say I carried a rifle? It was Christmas 2006 and I was serving in Kandahar, Afghanistan. The bishop was the Canadian military bishop. The Taliban were trying to kill me, hence the helmet, flak vest and rifle. No doubt the Taliban would think me highly immodest in my pants, despite the long sleeves. Any woman without her face covered would be considered highly immodest.

We are protestant now?

If you haven’t read the revelations of Our Lady of Fatima, I suggest you do. The Holy Father listened to them, that says something.

Thank you for your service.

Is a woman wearing pants considered a mortal sin? If it is then men shaving their beards, wearing clothing with two different types of material, eating pork, eating fish without scales and other ot laws that we don’t follow are also sin.

Certain laws we don’t have to follow anymore, but some we do. Read what St. Paul said about women and men. We aren’t equal nor will we ever be. Women and men are two distinct creatures. It is only in this century that feminazi’s have tried to make women into men. None are better than another, but they aren’t the same.

If we really follow this code like the bible says then men cannot wear pants, only robes and sandles would be allowed. As for the Fatima message and the change of fashion, I think it has to do more with immodesty and the exposure of skin. That’s where the sins of the flesh comes in.

I am not sure if anybody notes, but styles of mens and womens pants are different. Saying women cant have shorter hairstyles or wear slacks is legalism to the extreme. I left tht behid when I ceased being a IFB.

I wear a lot of dress pants at work. I’m a court reporter in a courtroom – I sit with a machine between my legs. I couldn’t do that with a long skirt and a short skirt it could be REAL immodest.

I think to each their own. If that’s what you and your family would like to do, I think that’s great. I don’t see me choosing to cut my hair and wear pants makes me any less Catholic or religious.

[quote="DWC_RC, post:1, topic:205711"]
"A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God."

We have decided that the men of our family will no longer wear shorts, but only pants outside of Church. During the Mass, Sunday best of course.

The women are to wear long dresses inside and outside of Church. Long hair only, no short hair or pants/pantsuites for the women.

How many other Catholic families are adopting this lifestyle? From what I have read of the Church Fathers and what Our Lady said at Fatima, God looks at your dress style.

[/quote]

Ok so my own interpretation of this pasage is that people should not cross dress. Men should act and dress ilke men and women should act and dress like women. This passage should be read by transexuals so that they would be able to reflect on it...

As for going to church. I always try to wear a dress and tell my husband to look his best because we are visiting the Lord. I mean if we can put on our best dress or suits if we would be invited by the President to a formal dinner then why can't we do the same for God who is our loving father in heaven.

AS for my hair, I'd prefer to keep it long. I just look better that way heheh :O) but I don't think there is anything wrong with short hair. In fact if we follow strict biblical teaching , women used to wear head coverings. My grandma and an aunt still follow this. WHenever they go to church they use a veil

My wife makes her own veil’s and she is now wearing them all the time. She loves it. :smiley:

[quote="Mayita30, post:16, topic:205711"]
Ok so my own interpretation of this passage is that people should not cross dress. Men should act and dress like men and women should act and dress like women. This passage should be read by transsexuals so that they would be able to reflect on it...

As for going to church. I always try to wear a dress and tell my husband to look his best because we are visiting the Lord. I mean if we can put on our best dress or suits if we would be invited by the President to a formal dinner then why can't we do the same for God who is our loving father in heaven.

AS for my hair, I'd prefer to keep it long. I just look better that way heheh :O) but I don't think there is anything wrong with short hair. In fact if we follow strict biblical teaching , women used to wear head coverings. My grandma and an aunt still follow this. Whenever they go to church they use a veil

[/quote]

This is how, I too, interpreted this to mean.

You have made a good decision! Deo gratias et Mariae semper Virgini!

Here is what I think of as required reading:

Required Reading #1 - Colleen Hammond’s guidelines.

Required Reading #2 - Little Flowers’ guidelines.

Modesty and gender appropriate clothing are non-negotiable! :smiley:

What about gender-neutral clothing?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.