Deviled eggs?

Ok CAF chefs--I'm looking for some good deviled eggs recipes! Nothing that you just found online, because I can do that. ;) But tried and true recipes that are good. The simpler the better; I'm mainly interested in making the classic version with the mayo and paprika, etc. and I've just never made them before. But if you have anything different that you'd like to share, that'd be cool too. TIA! :)

My daughter loves them so much that she learned to make them.

Back when she was a teenager, she travelled with her boyfriend’s family to visit their relatives in Kentucky, who apparently spend their entire day cooking and eating huge meals. My daughter ate 14 deviled eggs–that’s 28 halves–in one meal.

To this day, when the people in that part of the country talk about my daughter, they say, “Is he still dating that pretty girl who ate 14 deviled eggs?”

(Actually, she married him in 2008, after they dated 7 years.)

Here’s what my daughter does.

She boils the eggs in the morning and cools them before peeling them and cutting them in half. Scoop out all the yolks. Mix with Miracle Whip Lite Salad Dressing to taste–sorry I can’t be more exact, but it depends on how many eggs you are making. We’re used to making dozens and dozens so that there will be enough for my daughter!

THEN–here’s the big secret that I learned from my mother and my daughter learned from me–add a few drops of pickle juice from a jar of sweet pickles! Mix it into the yolk-Miracle Whip mixture.

Scoop the mixture into the egg white halves. My daughter just uses a spoon, but if you want to improvise a fancy egg yolk squirter out of waxed paper, go for it. The spoon works.

When they are set out on a platter or in the Tupperware, sprinkle with paprika.

That’s it.

They are a very “sweet” deviled egg. My daughter hates the deviled eggs made with mustard, but I’ll admit–if I make deviled eggs for ME, I will add a teaspoon or so of dry mustard, since I prefer that flavor to the sweet.

Also, she hates any additions like diced crabmeat or sausage or ham bits or capers or chopped olives or jalapenos or even little sprigs of parsley or dill. It’s up to you–I tend to agree with her that these are familial preferences, and if you like any of them go for it. But don’t expect others to share your family’s preferences. For all I know, you may not like the pickle juice that our whole family likes.

This is so simple and has so many variations - take the yokes from the hardboiled eggs and mash/mix with enough of any dip you like (ranch, guacamole, bacon cheddar, etc.) to make a smooth but not runny consistency. Add bits of complementing garnishes - crisp bacon bits, cheese bits, small bits of tomato and avocado, etc. Scoop back into the cavity left by the yoke. Add a larger piece of the garnish to the middle of the yoke mixture in each egg to make it pretty. I seem to have the best response to bacon cheddar, especially at a breakfast brunch.

Another way to do it is to use a scrambled egg mixture in the cavity instead of using a yoke mixture.

Real mayo

Classic yellow mustard

pickles, chopped fine (you pick, dill, bb or sweet)

salt or pepper to taste.

paprika

The amounts will vary by the eggs and how creamy you want them, experiment :)

Thanks FF, I like the bacon idea.

Cat- adding pickle juice is brilliant! I can see how that would work. A bunch of the recipes I found online have chopped pickle or relish with the yolks, but that sounded kind of bad to me. Some of them have a little dill added to the yolks too, but I don't have any dill. I DO have a jar of pickles though, so I'm definitely gonna use your tip. :thumbsup:

[quote="kage_ar, post:4, topic:179457"]
Real mayo

Classic yellow mustard

salt or pepper to taste.

paprika

[/quote]

Ok this is the classic recipe I think. I'm gonna use this one first, but use the pickle juice instead of chopped pickles. I wonder if a dash of garlic powder would be good too?

Interesting. I've never even heard of adding pickles/pickle juice. Although, admittedly I've never actually searched for recipes - I've always just made them the same way my Mom did. :)

Miracle Whip
Sour Cream
Egg yolks

Spoon into the eggs and sprinkle the paprika on top.

Mine is Miracle Whip (not mayo. it is just wrong), regular yellow mustard and sweet relish, that is it. You add anything else and it is just wrong to all of us!

Brenda V.

[sarcasm_on] Deviled eggs!!! How DARE anyone eat anything "devilish"! Deviled eggs, deviled ham, devils food chocolate cake! Don't you know you are endangering your soul by ingesting the devil that way?!? That is why the devil made all those 'devilish' foods so delicious! Mmmmmmmm- deviled eggs......mmmmmmmm must...make.....some....now...... NO, do NOT submit! Be gone satan! [/sarcasm off]

;):D:eek::cool:

[quote="Catholic90, post:9, topic:179457"]
[sarcasm_on] Deviled eggs!!! How DARE anyone eat anything "devilish"! Deviled eggs, deviled ham, devils food chocolate cake! Don't you know you are endangering your soul by ingesting the devil that way?!? That is why the devil made all those 'devilish' foods so delicious! Mmmmmmmm- deviled eggs......mmmmmmmm must...make.....some....now...... NO, do NOT submit! Be gone satan! [/sarcasm off]

;):D:eek::cool:

[/quote]

Maybe Christians should call them angel eggs.

Real mayo

Classic yellow mustard

salt or pepper to taste.

paprika

[/quote]

This is the only ingredient difference in mine... I do not care for pickles. But I will put a slice of green olive with pimento as a garnish on each one (after the paprika is sprinkled on.) I use a pastry bag with a large star tube to fill the halves.

hahahaha! I heard Roosterferians eat deviled eggs for breakfast!!!

CAT said:

My daughter loves them so much that she learned to make them.

Back when she was a teenager, she travelled with her boyfriend’s family to visit their relatives in Kentucky, who apparently spend their entire day cooking and eating huge meals. My daughter ate 14 deviled eggs–that’s 28 halves–in one meal.

To this day, when the people in that part of the country talk about my daughter, they say, “Is he still dating that pretty girl who ate 14 deviled eggs?”

That’s the south for you! LOL

When I lived in deep south if one had company no one would even dare think of serving them on a plate, they brought out the deviled egg dish.

What? Doesn't everybody use a devilled egg dish??? How else do you keep them from sliding around? :D

[quote="Jay53, post:7, topic:179457"]
Interesting. I've never even heard of adding pickles/pickle juice. Although, admittedly I've never actually searched for recipes - I've always just made them the same way my Mom did. :)

Miracle Whip
Sour Cream
Egg yolks

Spoon into the eggs and sprinkle the paprika on top.

[/quote]

haha mine is even simpler.

Miracle Whip
salt & pepper
Egg Yolks

then sprinkle with paprika. I must have forgotten about the mustard a few years ago and went from there.

[quote="FickleFreckled, post:13, topic:179457"]
What? Doesn't everybody use a devilled egg dish??? How else do you keep them from sliding around? :D

[/quote]

I've seen people throw them in a bowl, or cup them in tin foil, and I've also seen them on a dinner plate with toothpics shoved in to make them stay. LOL

Of course if someone doesn't have a dish, that will do.

I just meant they are funny about those things in some places.

My secret ingredient is a dash of (and forgive the spelling) worchestershire sauce.

egg yolks
Hellman’s mayo
salt
pepper
dash of worchestershire sauce (not too much or your filling will look brownish)

Real mayo

Classic yellow mustard

salt or pepper to taste.

paprika

[/quote]

Definately paprika! Must be my Italian taste buds, but I just LOVE paprika! We use celery, although I really don't care for celery (or pickles). I could eat a whole dish of them if there were enough.

I am a deviled egg purist. This is THE deviled egg recipe:

6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp prepared yellow mustard
paprika

Boil the eggs. I use this method: cover eggs in cold water 1 in above eggs, bring to rapid boil over high heat, take off the heat, cover, and let stand 18 minutes. Immediately transfer eggs to cold water to stop the cooking. Cool and peel.

Halve the eggs lengthwise, remove the yolks into a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in mayo, mustard, and vinegar. Mash/stir to remove all lumps.

Put the yolk mixture into a ziplock baggie and push into one corner. Cut tip off bag and pipe into the cooked egg whites. Dash paprika on top.

Oh yes, you gotta have the egg dish. I love mine.

I was really joking about everybody using an hard boiled egg dish.
At times I've plastered them to a plate with enough saran wrap to anchor a hot air balloon.

Here in Texas, though, we're as serious about our hard boiled egg dishes as any southerner. Ah declare, y'all, it's just good manners to use one...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.