Devotion of the three hail marys

i just thought i would post this for everyone

The 3 Hail Marys
In Honor of the Holy Trinity
This devotion was practiced and promoted by St. Mechtilde, St. Gertrude the Great, St. Alphonsus Liguori, St.
Anthony of Padua, and St. Leonard of Port-Maurice. Our Lady appeared to St. Mechtilde and requested the
daily recitation of 3 Hail Mary’s in honor of the Holy Trinity. Our Lady said:

“The first Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Father, whose omnipotence raised my soul so high
above every creature that after God, I have the greatest power in Heaven and on earth. In the hour of
your death I will use that power of God the Father to keep any hostile power far from you.”

“The second Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Son, who communicated His inscrutable wisdom to
me … In the hour of your death I will fill your soul with the light of that wisdom so that all the darkness
of ignorance and error will be dispelled.”

“The third Hail Mary will be in honor of God the Holy Ghost, who filled my soul with the sweetness of
His love and tenderness and mercy … In your last hour I will then change the bitterness of death into
divine sweetness and delight.”

Promise Made to St. Gertrude by Our Lady:

"To any soul who faithfully prays the Three Hail Marys I will appear at the hour of death in a splendor of beauty
so extraordinary that it will fill the soul with heavenly consolation

ANGELIC PEACE

Thank you…

JMJ,

Ricardo

That’s so weird. I just picked up a pamphlet on this today at Mass. I love God-incences!! :smiley: Thanks for sharing it here! :thumbsup:

What about those of us (including me) who recite THE ANGELUS once or three times per day. Does that count?:confused:

What the three HMs we say at the start of the Dominican Rosary. Does that count?

Or must it be a specific intention?

My grandmother taught me to say the 3 Hail Mary’s before bed, every night, back when I was about 9 years old. At 56, I still can go to sleep if I have not said my 3 Hail Mary’s.

Jim

well it says that the first hail mary has to be said in honour of god the father, the second in honour of god the son jesus, and the third in honour of god the holy spirit…so as long as you say three hail marys and offer them individually for each person of the holoy trinity then you are doing what is required for the promises…

i don’t think there is any particular offering prayer that you have to say as long as you offer them up as it is stated…you could just say this hail mary is in honour of god the father, etc

i made up my own offering prayer for this devotion…

i say…

o most blessed and adorable holy trinity, god the father, god the son jesus, and god the holy spirit, through the immaculate heart of mary and also through her prayers and intercession i am now going to pray the devotion of the three hail marys…

(then i say)

o most blessed and adorable holy trinity, god the father, god the son jesus, and god the holy spirit, through the immaculate heart of mary and also through her prayers and intercessions i now pray and offer the first hail mary in honour of god the father

(pray first hail mary)

o most blessed and adorable holy trinity, god the father, god the son jesus, and god the holy spirit, through the immaculate heart of mary and also through her prayers and intercessions i now pray and offer the second hail mary in honour of god the son jesus

(pray second hail mary)

o most blessed and adorable holy trinity, god the father, god the son jesus, and god the holy spirit, through the immaculate heart of mary and also through her prayers and intercessions i now pray and offer the third hail mary in honour of god the holy spirit

(pray third hail mary)

does anyone already practice this devotion to the three hail marys?

ANGELIC PEACE

I learned about this from a pamphlet I picked up before confession a few months ago. It is a beautiful devotion.

The Angelus may actually be a development of the three Hail Mary devotion. See here:

newadvent.org/cathen/01486b.htm

Thanks for sharing. I will add the Honor to the Holy Trinity to the 3 Hail Mary’s I already pray at night.

k

Thank you for posting this. This is what I always thought (to say it in honour of the Trinity). There is another thread about this which mentions that you can also honour the 3 privileges of Our Lady as well.

1. Her imaculate conception
  2. Mother of God
  3. Her glorious assumption
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.