Devotion to Mary

I raised this question on another thread: Are Catholics required to invoke the saints?

According to Michelle Arnold here at CA, we are not required to have a devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary, but we are required to accept the Marian doctrines. I assume that it’s the same for the saints, but I don’t know for sure.

In a few weeks, we will be celebrating the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (into Heaven), on August 15. It’s a holy day of obligation, so all Catholics are required to attend Mass on that day. She will be honored on that day, so in effect, when we attend Mass on that day, we are also participating in honoring her.
Link to article by Michelle Arnold:

catholic.com/quickquestions/is-it-required-that-catholics-be-devoted-to-mary

This is like asking, “Are family members required to speak to one another?” or in the case of the Blessed Virgin, “Am I required to speak to my mother?”

Well, sometimes it takes awhile for non-Catholics to warm up to the idea that Mary can be our spiritual mother. I now look to her as my mother, but when I was first investigating Catholicism, I thought that the devotion of Catholics to the BVM was ridiculous. I eventually changed my mind.

Lutherans are in agreement and also celebrate the assumption on 8/15. Unfortunately the holy day falls on a Friday so the Sunday Mass can be devoted to Mary or the regular Sunday in Pentecost - X / Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Our approach is more on the role Mary played in the Incarnation. Lutherans are not required to believe in the immaculate conception or assumption and some Lutherans try to ignore holy Mary, Mother of God, her perpetual virginity, Queen of Heaven/ Second Heaven, Nativity of blessed Virgin Mary; thankfully our Confessions point us toward Mary…

But going back to the question; Catholics must acknowledge the Marian feasts but not required to participate in the holy day?

Catholics are definitely required to participate in the holy day by attending Mass on that day.

I think I could do it, but I just can’t accept the way it’s done.

I’m sorry everyone; I don’t mean to be offensive at all about this but I just get nervous and uncomfortable when it comes to some of the (prayers?) to Mary.

Lutherans don’t pray to Mary. Some, like Luther, pray the rosary and the Angelus is rung/ sung in Lutheran religious communities. But this prayer is how Lutherans honor Mary in praise to God.

O Theotokos (Mother of God), the second heaven
You are the honored Mother of the Light.

From sunrise to sunset
the faithful offer you praises

You are the bright and unchanging flower
and the mother who remained a virgin
for the Father chose you
and the Holy Spirit overshadowed you
and the Son deigned to take flesh from you.

Wherefore, ask the Lord
to give salvation to the world
which He created
and to deliver it from all tribulations

Let us praise the Lord
and sing to Him a new song
now and forever and from all ages to all ages

Amen.

I think out of respect to the ones who understand that asking for saints prayers is a good and wholesome thing to do when one belongs in communion with them. They are not dead to us they are very much alive to us and can pray for us as we pray for others. We learn from the example of Jesus who prayed for us and continues to pray for us (Hebrews 7:25)…We’ve learned from the Master in the garden of Gethsemane that it is a Holy and good thing to do to pray for one another… and we will also pray for others when we ourselves are in heaven Lord willing. Nothing can separate us from those we love as long as we remember them in our hearts for love has no boundaries. The only boundaries to love are the ones that we put on ourselves…

I hope in that light you won’t mind that others do like the intercessory prayers of the saints who are in direct communion with God in Heaven, not like us who are trapped in our human shells and often worry what others think, when we shouldn’t worry because Jesus said He is with us always and knows our hearts.

Even when I was Catholic it didn’t feel right.

I can agree with you though most Lutherans would not. It is an area of devotion that does not separate Catholic from Lutherans/ Orthodox/ Anglican but not an infallible dogma .

That’s what I mean, that I could ask Mary for intercession if she truly is sorta omniscient due to her presence in Heaven. However, some of the “prayers” or “requests” whatever you call it make me uncomfortable. And let’s face it, it’s a Catholic practice and I would be embarrassed to ever show anyone that said practice is my belief.

I think even if I could just accept what the CC teaches just because I choose to be submissive, I still would be ashamed to have anyone see me practicing what Catholics practice in regards to Mary. Therefore that would make me a hypocrite.

But if you walked into a Catholic church, the main/ primary focus is on the altar and cross. I don’t recall ever hearing the Hail Mary at Catholic Masses. So if the Catholic came to your Evangelical church there won’t be any reason to kneel in front of the Madonna/ Child and the focus would be exactly like Catholics: worship to Our Lord and Saviour.

The Hail Mary can be said after Mass, at the discretion of the priest. The first Catholic parish I ever attended said the Hail Mary after Mass (immediately following the Mass). And we knelt while we recited it. It’s an old-fashioned and very Catholic thing to do. Also, if I recall correctly, it’s usually said after Mass at the TLM.

:smiley:

:nope: However, they are praying for us…

Catechism of the CC - The intercession of the saints. “Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness. . . . They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus . . . . So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped.”

Ashamed…That’s too bad…What do you mean regarding: “However, some of the “prayers” or “requests” whatever you call it make me uncomfortable”?

Not surprised and sort of relieved that the Catechism answers the question. An another reason why Lutherans respect Catholics

No need to apologize.

I too get nervous about some of the prayers to Mary…
Know what I do when that happens?
I just don’t pray those…
Problem solved.
:thumbsup:

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.