Devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows

Hi :slight_smile:

does anyone here say the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows of Mary?

I’m kind of confused…do you say only one Hail Mary for each Sorrow, or 7 Hail Marys? I’m getting mixed information on this… is it prayed like a Rosary?

7 Sorrows (Dolors) of Mary, Rosary Prayer :thumbsup:

– Cadian :knight1:

I and a number of CAF members recite the rosary of the Sorrowful Mother. In fact there is a group here titled, Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother. It has the rosary explained in detail there, if you would like to check it out.

Yes, you say 7 Hail Marys for each sorrow. I do recite this rosary on my “standard” rosary, as I only have one rosary. But there are special made chaplets for this rosary, very beautiful ones in fact. You can find them online at various Catholic stores.

Yes, it is prayed like the rosary, for the most part. It is a bit different in the mysteries that are meditated upon, the start, the ending, and the prayers are different in that some of those said for the “standard” rosary are not said in this rosary. You will pick it up as you go along.

It is a very powerful rosary and in saying that, welcome and may you always venerate His mother’s sorrows, Hail Mary…

Mahogany

It’s seven Hail Mary’s, not one.

God bless you in this devotion! I pray it sometimes, usually around the same time I pray the Passion Rosary, either on the same day or only one day apart. I particularly appreciate praying them together.

As Mahogany said, this is a very powerful Rosary. I too pray it on my regular Rosary beads.

God bless you as you pray this Rosary!

thanks everyone!! :slight_smile:

oki I’m glad, cause that’s how I thought it was in the beginning…

I read a booklet about this devotion and I REALLY like it. I also bought a chaplet.

I was also thinking…it seems difficult to find these special chaplets, and the ones I found at the Catholic store nearby were sort of expensive… they’re not as accessible as the Rosary…

and then I got this idea, - at my parish, there’s a little table with free devotional pamphlets, prayers, info on pilgrimages, etc, - what if with the permission of my priest (if he lets me), I could leave little pamphlets on this devotion?? and if I could find a way to make these chaplets (just using plastic beads), what if I could leave them there too, for people to take for free? do you think this would be a good idea?

the reason I’m asking is because as I said, it seems difficult to find these chaplets, and many people don’t seem to know about the devotion at all. But I think this prayer really pleases Our Lady?

I have two Our Lady of the Seven Dolours (Sorrows) rosaries - both I bought ‘second hand’, one is very ancient. These rosaries, or chaplets, have medals as spacers (where the Pater Nosters are on regular rosaries) with depictions of the Seven Dolours. They terminate in a medal instead of a crucifix. Dealers will sometimes add a crucifix to these thinking that they have lost the original crucifix.

I soon intend to pray it weekly along with the Franciscan ‘Crown’ of seven decades celebrating the Seven Joys of Mary so as to replace the Rosary mysteries which are said twice during the week.

thanks! :slight_smile: my chaplet has the medals too :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.