Devotion to the Drops of Blood....

…Lost by our Lord Jesus Christ on His Way to Calvary

This was a card given to me by my 'Lita, and I want to share it with all of you! It’s so incredible I can’t hardly stand it! :smiley:

"St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, with St. Matilda and St. Bridget, wishing to know something of the Passion of Jesus Christ, offered fervent and special prayers, upon which Our Lord revealed to them:

To all the faithful who shall recite for 3 years, each day, 2 Our Fathers, 2 Hail Marys, and 2 Glory Bes, in honor of the drops of Blood I lost, I will concede the following 5 graces:

1st The plenary indulgence and remittance of your sins.

2nd You will be free from the pains of Purgatory.

3rd If you should die before completeing the said 3 years, for you it will be the same as if you had completed them.

4th It will be upon your death the same as if you had shed all your blood for the Holy Faith.

5th I will descend from Heaven and take your soul and that of your relatives, until the fourth generation.

…"

Well? What do you think? Isn’t that just one of the greatest things we could do/ask for? As the card says “This…gives us a very easy way to save our own soul as well as the ones most dear to us- our family.”. Of course, if you skip a day, you have to start over, but hey! It’s definately worth doing.

Take care! :slight_smile:

I have been doing this for the last 2.5 years. I found it in a small blue prayer book called the Pieta prayer book. Every morning on my way to work I say my prayers in devotion to the sacred drops of blood. I am not sure if the Church still goes with these kind of indulgences, so I always preface my prayer with “for the intention of “X” indulgence, but only if that be Your will, Lord. If you wish that my soul go to purgatory, or if those of my loved ones needs to go to be ready for Heaven, I freely submit to your will.”

Also- you do not have to start over if you miss a day. That would be almost impossible to ever complete! The important thing is the number of prayers… somehow over three years the number equals the number of drops of blood. So if you miss a day, just say double the next day. (My prayer book actually says this).

I know some people will roll their eyes, and think this is a superstitious thing to do… I don’t care. Even if the indulgence is not granted (which is fine with me… the Lord’s will always), I will have at least spent hours in prayer over the course of three years. I think it’s a great way to spend my morning drive in. I conclude it with the Fatima prayer (“Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins…”), a Hail Holy Queen, a St. Michael prayer, a prayer to St. Monica for all those sincerely seeking truth to consider the Catholic church, and then just talking with God about everything. It starts my day out right. I say Give it a try! :thumbsup:

Sweet! Thanks so much for sharing!

laughs That’s a relief to hear about the skipping part, cuz I’ve accidently skipped yesterday! :blush:

God Bless always! :smiley:

I used to walk my dog and “catch up” by saying the 3 prayers like 30 times each! I keep track with a little check mark on my calendar.:o

The Church no longer uses indulgences like 300-day indulgences. The Church uses : partial and plenary indulgences.

What does that mean? :confused:

The Church used to say “an indulgence of 300 days,” meaning your time in Purgatory would be shortened by that amount of time, for doing this or that. But that was changed, particularly because no one knows how time works in Purgatory… it may be completely out of the realm of chronological time. So an indulgence like that seems meaningless. The Church now grants either full indulgences, or partial… meaning you are completely wiped clean of the temporal punishment due to sins committed up to that point, or the punishment will be lessened. No time is mentioned.

For the drops of blood devotion, it was said then that the person doing the devotion would be spared Purgatory altogether, along with four generations of their offspring (or something like that). That doesn’t seem to be putting any time constraints on anything. I am not sure what the church says about this, but it certainly cannot hurt to do this devotion. If God wanted to make this offer before, I don’t see why He wouldn’t continue to make it available. It can’t hurt to ask! But that is why I always put it back on God’s own best will… maybe I NEED purgatory! At the very least it keeps my mind and heart on prayer. :slight_smile:

Aaaahhh. okay. Thanks! Yea, it’s definately His will alright, I should remember to say that too after or before the prayer.

Thanks again!

:yup:

The “rules” around these types of things always confound me. First, it is likely not just a matter of reciting 3 prayers, 2 times each, for 3 years. To gain a plenary indulgence you must perform the act with a contrite heart, plus you must go to confession, receive Holy Communion, and pray for the pope’s intentions. Or do other requirements for indulgences not apply for this devotion?

And a plenary indulgence only applies to sins already forgiven. What of the sins you commit and are absolved of during or after the three years? Will I and 4 generations beyond me be taken up to Heaven regardless of any further temporal punishment due?

This devotion has been one of my favorite for awhile now…but I came across this.

“It has been brought to our attention that the indulgences attached to the “Drops of Blood” and “Shoulder Wound” prayers were declared apocryphal* in the Acta Sanctae Sedis (Acts of the Holy See), a monthly publication in Rome from 1865 to 1908 which contains principal declarations of the Pope and the Roman congregations. Its contents were declared official and authentic in 1904.” olrl.org/pray/apocryphal.shtml

Apparently this prayer is not approved of? Anyone who knows any more about this, please inform me!

*a·poc·ry·phal/əˈpäkrəfəl/
Adjective:
(of a story or statement) Of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

I did a search on this because I’ve never heard of it. I got this web page which explains that this devotion is not approved and is considered apocryphal.

FWIW: olrl.org/pray/apocryphal.shtml

Although I’m sure saying 2 Our Fathers, 2 Hail Marys and 2 Glory Bes can’t be bad for you.

In addition, when the change was made, all previous grants of indulgences were revoked and only those in the Enchiridion of Indulgences retain their indulgences.

franciscan-sfo.org/eb/indulgences_Enchiridion.pdf

The Sovereign Pontiff, Paul VI – having received a report on the matter in an Audience granted on June 14 of the present year to the undersigned Cardinal, the Penitentiary Major – on the 15th day of the same month approved, and ordered to be held authentic, the new Enchiridion of Indulgences as published by the Vatican Press. All general grants of indulgences, not included in this same Enchiridion, are hereby revoked. Revoked also are any ordinances concerning indulgences, not included in the Norms on Indulgences given below, whether in the Code of Canon Law, or in Apostolic Letters, even if issued “Motu proprio,” or in Decrees of the Holy See.

The Litany of the Most Precious Blood can be found on page 65 of the Enchiridion.

Apostolic Letter of Pope John XXIII
ON PROMOTING DEVOTION TO THE MOST PRECIOUS BLOOD OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST

Likewise the devotion to the Most Precious Blood, which owes its marvellous diffusion to the 19th-century Roman priest, St. Gaspar del Bufalo, has rightly merited the approval and backing of this Apostolic See. We may recall that by order of Benedict XIV the Mass and Office in honour of the divine Saviour’s adorable Blood were composed. And to fulfill a vow made at Gaeta Pius IX extended the feast to the whole Church.[8] Finally, as a commemoration of the nineteenth centenary of our redemption, Pius XI of happy memory raised this feast to the rank of first-class double, so that the greater liturgical splendour would highlight the devotion and bring to men more abundant fruits of the re deeming Blood.

Following our predecessors’ example we have taken further steps to promote the devotion to the Precious Blood of the unblemished Lamb, Jesus Christ. We have approved the Litany of the Precious Blood drawn up by the Sacred Congregation of Rites and through special indulgences have encouraged its public and private recitation throughout the Catholic world. Amid today’s most serious and pressing spiritual needs, may this latest exercise of that “care for all the churches”[9] proper to our sovereign office awaken in Christian hearts a firm conviction about the supreme abiding effectiveness of these three devotions.

As we now approach the feast and month devoted to honouring Christ’s Blood ---- the price of our redemption, the pledge of salvation and life eternal – may Christians meditate on it more fervently, may they savour its fruits more frequently in sacramental communion. Let their meditations on the boundless power of the Blood be bathed in the light of sound biblical teaching and the doctrine of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church. How truly precious is this Blood is voiced in the song which the Church sings with the Angelic Doctor (sentiments wisely seconded by our predecessor Clement VI [10] ) :

July is the month devoted to honouring Christ’s Blood.

Please say the precious blood devotion prayers.

scribd.com/doc/13559427/P…Blood-of-Jesus

How do I get the card?

you can’t get the card any more, they have discontinued them because the indulgence claims attached to them are incorrect. That said, praying a devotion to the drops of Blood Christ lost on the way to Calvary certainly won’t hurt you, it’s just that praying them every day for 3 years as the card suggest does not carry the indulgence that the card claimed.

I got a card last Sunday at my church

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.