Devotional advice

Not sure if this is where I should post this…if not feel free to move it to the appropriate place! :slight_smile:

I am converting to Catholicism from being Protestant and I have come to realize a lot of the devotionals I use are not with the Church’s teachings. What devotionals have you found helpful in your walk with Christ that are consistent with RC teachings or are good for new converts?

A little history about myself: I am a twentysomething college student…so advice on devotionals for this particular stage in life would be helpful as well!

Also I have been reading the NIV translation of the Bible but I was wanting to find a Catholic Bible with a good translation…maybe even one that has good footnotes highlighting particular verses that as a Protestant I may have interpreted differently (ex: footnotes on verses about purgatory, mortal sin, Mary etc.). What would you suggest?

As a Catholic-in-Waiting I am finding I still have a lot to learn but I am excited to find Christ present in all of this! Thanks! :smiley:

I am curious as to what devotionals you are doing as a Protestant that are not within Catholic Church teachings… inquiring minds want to know…:rolleyes:

My dear young lady…please, please start with praying the Rosary daily. Our Blessed Mother will bring you so close to her Son, you will just glow with joy!

God bless!

Dana

I would second the previous poster’s advice about the Rosary! Many people also really like the Divine Mercy Chaplet - it’s quicker, about half the time of the Rosary. If I were in college I would probably choose that most days while adding the Rosary on weekends, during summer break, etc.
There are so many devotions available to us - The Church is so gracious to allow us so many aids to getting to know Him! The Sacred Heart devotion, devotion to the Blessed Sacrament (this one I would advise before any big test - plus as often as you can the rest of the time), devotion to the Immaculate Heart, … There are so many.

As far as a Bible version, my preference vacillates between the RSV-CE and the Douay-Rheims. Others are the Jerusalem Bible, the NRSV, the Good News - Catholic Edition, the NJB, etc. One I really like is the Catholic Comparative New Testament (it’s wonderful for those of us who can’t decide which version fits best since it shows 8 of them, plus sometimes one version is better for some things while another is better for others).:shrug:

The previous responses are excellent suggestions of good Catholic devotions.

I am guessing that by devotionals you mean short daily readings that help in your spiritual life.

Two of my favorites are:
[LIST]
*]My Daily Bread by Anthony J. Paone, S.J. (don’t confuse this with other similarly-named books). A “summary of the spiritual life,” it is organized along the three steps (“ways”) of the spiritual life: The Way of Purification (Conversion, After Conversion, Temptation, Conquering Bad Habits, and Self Conquest Through Mortification), the Way of Imitation (Following Jesus in Daily Life, Virtues Leading Directly to God, Man’s Relation with His Neighbor and Himself, and The Spiritual Combat), and the Way of Union (Striving for Closer Union, Union Through the Holy Eucharist, Union Throughout the Day).
*]In Conversation with God by Francis Fernandez. Written by a follower of St. Josemaria Escriva; especially geared toward lay people, professionals, even college students; practical meditations on the Gospel readings from Mass for every day of the liturgical year. I think you will love this one! Great practical advice on how to live and share your faith living in the world. Seven volumes, can be purchased individually or as a boxed set.
[/LIST]
Two other great spiritual classics (not really in daily devotional style, but well worth reading) are Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales and The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

If you are looking for a Bible with truly Catholic commentary, I would recommend the Haydock edition of the Douay-Rheims Bible. It is written in an archaic style, so it may not be your choice for everyday reading (I would recommend the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition for that). But you can’t beat the Haydock Douay-Rheims for reliable commentary on specific verses. If you don’t want to buy the Bible (it is bulky and pricey), the commentary is available online at haydock1859.tripod.com/

I think my wording may have been wrong. It’s not that I think Protestant devotionals aren’t helpful. I’ve done devotionals such as “The Purpose Driven Life” and gotten a lot out of it. I just want a devotional that I can do daily that will give me insight into the Catholic church as someone new to the faith. I am not in RCIA yet and will not be starting the process until this time next year because I will be moving upon graduation to another state. I felt it would be important to go through RCIA once I move so I can have the continued support of people in town as opposed to being fairly new to the faith and new to the parish. So till then I guess I’m trying to understand all I can!

As far as the Rosary goes…I don’t even know where to get one! lol My area is majority Bible Belt Protestant so I’m fairly certain there aren’t any Catholic bookstores where I can purchase them. I am also still slightly confused about the Rosary (when you say what, its purpose, etc.). I keep telling myself understanding will come in time after all I’m still trying to make my way through Mass without going “Huh? What did they just say?” or being completely lost in what I’m supposed to be saying/doing! lol Still I am interested in getting a Rosary if you know any good places to get one.

brigid12 - Thanks for the advice on devotionals I will look into those as well as the Bible Translations. The Catholic Comparative New Testament looks interesting only because I’m like you I love comparing translations! :wink:

Most certainly the Holy Rosary.You can receive a free pray-along CD from www.catholiccity.com They also offer other audio CDs which may be of interest to you.(They do ask for a nominal fee for shipping)

Mother Angelica has said that she likes to fill empty seconds of time with little devotions such as “Jesus,Mary,save souls” or something to that effect.But the point is you can get into the habit of saying short prayers…like at stoplights or waiting in the checkout lane.

I encourage you to watch EWTN if you have that available to you,if not you can listen via internet.Or Catholic Radio in the car AM,FM and satellite.

God bless you on your journey

My area is majority Bible Belt Protestant so I’m fairly certain there aren’t any Catholic bookstores where I can purchase them

I can guarantee you there is a Catholic bookstore somewhere near you. You say you are in Texas? Well then trust me, you can find a Catholic bookstore. Are there no Hispanics in your area?!

As to devotions, well, it depends on you. There is a wide variety of Catholic devotions, to meet people’s personalities and needs. For example:

**Prideful? **
catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=898 (The Sacrifice Beads of St. Therese) ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm (The Litany of Humility)

Devoted to a Particular Saint?
rosaryandchaplets.com/chaplets/chaplets.html (A variety of Chaplets, particularly to Saints)

Want to Focus on Christ’s Passion?
catholic.org/clife/prayers/station.php (Stations of the Cross) olrl.org/pray/drops.shtml (Devotion to Our Lord’s Lost Blood) ixeh.net/faith/Seven-S/ss-menu.html (Chaplet of Our Blessed Mother’s Seven Sorrows) ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm (Chaplet of Divine Mercy)

Prefer the Risen Christ?
landru.i-link-2.net/shnyves/sacred_heart_of_jesus.htm (Devotion to His Most Sacred Heart) catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=1085 (Litany of Christ the King)

Want to be close to Christ through Mary?
pacifier.com/rosary-center.org/howto.htm (The Rosary)

Struggling with Chastity?
premier.net/~avemarie/Chaplet_of_St_Joseph.htm (Chaplet of St. Joseph) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hail_Marys (Three Hail Mary’s for Chastity)

An Urgent Problem?
ewtn.com/Devotionals/novena/jude.htm (St. Jude’s Novena)

If you have a specific vice you want gone, or a favorite saint, or an aspect of Christ, there is a Catholic devotion for it!

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple Bibles that have commentary that may be what you’re looking for. The Navarre Bible - it’s the RSV-CE with wonderful commentary (like from St. Jose Escriva!). Another Bible with commentary is the one that Scott Hahn did, also RSV-CE with commentary - very interesting (scholarly and orthodox).

Nope, it isn’t your wording that is wrong, just a different kind of usage between Protestants and Catholics. For Catholics you have a devotion to something, like the Rosary or the Blessed Sacrament or the Sacred Heart of Jesus or any number of other things. It means that you are particularly attached to that practice and it means a lot to you.

As far as the Rosary goes…I don’t even know where to get one! lol My area is majority Bible Belt Protestant so I’m fairly certain there aren’t any Catholic bookstores where I can purchase them. I am also still slightly confused about the Rosary (when you say what, its purpose, etc.). I keep telling myself understanding will come in time after all I’m still trying to make my way through Mass without going “Huh? What did they just say?” or being completely lost in what I’m supposed to be saying/doing! lol Still I am interested in getting a Rosary if you know any good places to get one.

The Rosary does take a bit of getting used to for Protestants! :smiley: I decided that the best way to get to know someone is to spend time with them, so the best way to get used to the rosary was to just start trying. And it did come after awhile. :thumbsup: As for getting one, you can order them all kinds of places online, even amazon has quite a selection. I would also guess that your local parish has some plastic ones sitting around that they would be willing to give you if you asked.

Here are some directions to get you started. You could also try praying it online here as you get used to it.

Good luck! I know how overwhelming all this Catholic “stuff” can be at first, but don’t worry, it will come and soon you will feel like an old pro! :smiley:

Laurie,
understand that it is not necessary to have devotions, other than to Jesus. However, many Catholics find them helpful and some couldn’t do without them.

Myself, I don’t have any particular devotions. I do pray the Liturgy of the Hours every day, and I recommend if you can find some one to teach you, to learn to do the Divine Office on a daily basis, especially morning and evening prayer. You’ll be praying with Scripture everyday, if you do the Liturgy of the Hours.

As far as Bibles, although some don’t like the New American Bible(NAB), it is what the readings at the majority of Masses in the USA, are taken from.

A good version of the NAB is the NAB Catholic Study Edition. Its what they had us use in training for the diaconate.

Jim

Note to Catholics-Laurie isn’t asking about having a devotion towards something. In Protestant world, a devotional is a little book with daily meditations on scripture or some religious topic like this. :smiley:

Pray the Rosary.

Note to Catholics-Laurie isn’t asking about having a devotion towards something. In Protestant world, a devotional is a little book with daily meditations on scripture or some religious topic like this.

I had forgotten about that.

Well then, if you’re looking for Catholic Devotions around Scripture:

liturgyhours.org/ (The Liturgy of the Hours)
fisheaters.com/lectiodivina.html (Lectio Divina)

Yeah I’m finding I need not only a conversion in faith but also my terminology! Thanks everyone for being patient with me! :wink:

I guess I’ve just always been one to read daily meditations on scripture. I appreciate all the suggestions I’ve received and look forward to finding some.

My boyfriend is Catholic and after expressing to him that I was looking to buy a Rosary online he told me part of my birthday present from him is a Rosary! lol So now that solves where to get one…and I know what part of my birthday present is too!! :smiley: Although Rawb you are right I did find a Catholic bookstore in town that I do plan on visiting soon! :thumbsup:

Rawb - Thank you for all of the prayer suggestions! I am going to work on incorporating those into devotional time. Just knowing where to look for them is a big help!

KarenElissa - Thanks for communicating to everyone what I meant by devotionals!!

Thank you all for the ideas of Bible translations I am excited to look into them.

That’s what I’ve loved so much about Catholic Answers is I don’t feel like I’m crazy for not getting all of this right away. My boyfriend has been a great source of information, but it’s a bit intimidating asking questions in person to other people as some have not been very patient. :shrug: Still everyone is human so maybe I just caught them on a bad day who knows! Thank you all for your help! :hug3:

Well, the rosary too is a meditation on Scripture…mostly, lol.

For example:

The Our Father:
Matthew 6:9 - 13 Thus therefore shall you pray: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our supersubstantial bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

The Hail Mary:
First Part: Luke 1:28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: **Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. **
Second Part: Luke 1:42: And she cried out with a loud voice, and said: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.

The Joyful Mysteries, with Biblical sources:
ainglkiss.com/ros/jo.htm

Sorrowful with Sources:
ainglkiss.com/ros/so.htm

Glorious with Sources:
ainglkiss.com/ros/gl.htm

Luminous with Sources:
ainglkiss.com/ros/srlum.html

It’s a very Scriptural prayer.

Well, how many fingers do you have? :smiley:

Seriously, you might try the Divine Mercy chaplet: ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm. It’s about half as long as the Rosary and lends itself very well to chanting (see ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/audvid.htm ). It’s a very pleasant devotion to Our Lord.

:blessyou:

You might find the “Imitation of Mary” worth reading :slight_smile:

Protestants as well as Catholics have read:
[LIST]
*]The Imitation of Christ
*]The Practice of the Presence of God[/LIST]A book I find useful is “Daily Light” - it’s composed entirely of verses of the Bible, around a set theme, with no commentary, arranged for evening & morning - the only Protestant thing about is its publisher; so it is “consistent with RC teachings” even though it does not explicitly affirm them.

A little history about myself: I am a twentysomething college student…so advice on devotionals for this particular stage in life would be helpful as well!

Also I have been reading the NIV translation of the Bible but I was wanting to find a Catholic Bible with a good translation…maybe even one that has good footnotes highlighting particular verses that as a Protestant I may have interpreted differently (ex: footnotes on verses about purgatory, mortal sin, Mary etc.). What would you suggest?

As a Catholic-in-Waiting I am finding I still have a lot to learn but I am excited to find Christ present in all of this! Thanks! :smiley:

Just one piece of advice (as you ask) - don’t overload yourself by trying to take on too much :slight_smile: It’s much better to stick at one thing & to do it well, than to take on a dozen only to be overcome by them.

Oh, in this case, the Magnificat is a good one then.

:blessyou:

In this case, then:
theworkofgod.org/Devotns/bridget.htm

It enters the 8th year for me to do this daily devotion everyday. And I intend to say this daily prayer until the last of my days.
This devotion is to soak my soul in His blood.

This is not for any “promise” may link with this devotion, but for getting close to our Lord.

I can honestly say that this devotion, basically going through the Passion in vivid details, can bring a soul closer to Jesus, if said with one’s heart.

Hi Laurie,

I literally picked this up yesterday (Catholic Women’s Devotional Bible) because I was looking for something like you’re describing. I can’t give commentary on it yet because I’ve just started, but the reviews on Amazon are positive. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.