Devotions/sacramentals and bogus promises

I recently learned that the 21 promises attached to the 15 Our Father/Hail Mary prayers of St. Bridget are unfounded and disapproved by the Church. I learned of them through a pamphlet that was at the back of one of the more orthodox churches we’ve visited. This little “Pieta” booklet, published by MLOR Corporation, seems to be packed with prayers and promises/miracles associated with them.

I’m wondering what other devotions/sacramentals/prayers often have promises attached which aren’t valid, but they are mistakenly republished?

Hi, which prayers do you mean? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of them…

the promises that ARE accepted by the Church, I believe, are:

• the brown scapular promises (and other scapulars, like the green scapular)
  • the 15 Rosary promises
  • the Sacred Heart devotion promises

…does anyone know if the promises regarding the 7 Sorrows Chaplet are accepted as well?

that’s all I could think of for now.

God bless

Under Catholic Answers Forum Rules . . . I believe it is required that you post a credible source for such a claim as you have made in your original post . . . which is quoted above . . . what is your credible reliable source for the information you just posted?

[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+[/RIGHT]

Sorry I wasn’t more clear, but I wasn’t intending the discussion to be about the St. Bridget prayers…

I believe that this link has the same text as the “Pieta” book in front of me. Towards the beginning are the St. Bridget prayers and promises.

Here is a link about church disapproval:

WARNING CONCERNING THE "PROMISES OF ST. BRIDGET"
Marius Crovini
Notary of the Supreme Holy Congregation of the Holy Office

In some places, a little work has been disseminated called the “Secret of Happiness: 15 prayers revealed by the Lord to St. Bridget in the Church of St. Paul at Rome”, published at Nice and elsewhere in several languages.
Since it is asserted in this pamphlet that God made to St. Bridget certain promises, whose supernatural origin is uncertain, let local ordinaries take care not to grant permission for publishing or reprinting pamphlets or other writings which contain these promises.

Given at Rome, from the offices of the Holy Office, 28 January 1954

Marius Crovini

WARNING CONCERNING THE "PROMISES OF ST. BRIDGET"
Marius Crovini

In some places, a little work has been disseminated called the “Secret of Happiness: 15 prayers revealed by the Lord to St. Bridget in the Church of St. Paul at Rome”, published at Nice and elsewhere in several languages.

Since it is asserted in this pamphlet that God made to St. Bridget certain promises, whose supernatural origin is uncertain, let local ordinaries take care not to grant permission for publishing or reprinting pamphlets or other writings which contain these promises.

Given at Rome, from the offices of the Holy Office, 28 January 1954
Marius Crovini

Hi Melancholic . . .

A gentle correction . . . *please note *. . . the actual wording regarding the promises is . . . "whose supernatural origin is uncertain" . . . which would place them in the possible category of . . . “private revelations” . . .

Your statement . . .

I recently learned that the 21 promises attached to the 15 Our Father/Hail Mary prayers of St. Bridget
are unfounded and disapproved by the Church

.IS NOT
a true reflection of what the warning above is as stated . . . your statement is in error . . .

There have been multitudes and multitudes of . . . “private revelations” . . . over multitudes of centuries . . . which God has shared over those centuries with his beloved children . . . which the Catholic Church allows as possible . . . “private revelations” . . . but which have NOT been taken under consideration by the Catholic Church to . . . either . . . approve . . or disapprove . . .

The above warning re “ordinaries” concerns those who serve the** Apostolic Holy Roman Catholic Church in an official capacity **. . . so as to be careful not to officially raise a “private revelation” beyond that distinction . . . to keep such possible revelations from assuming . . . wrongfully . . . the weight of the Church’s approval for same . . .

**:coffeeread: ORDINARY. **

In ecclesiastical law a CLERIC with ordinary jurisdiction in the external forum over a specified territory;
[LIST]
*]the Pope with unlimited jurisdiction;
*]diocesan bishops and their vicars;
*]prelates nullius;
]capitular vicars and
] administrators filling the vacancy in a diocese.
]Also superiors general,
]abbots
]primate,
]provincial abbots of exempt monasteries.
[/LIST]Their representatives too are called ordinaries. (Etym. Latin ordinarius, regular, usual.)
[RIGHT]
- Modern Catholic Dictionary
[/RIGHT]**Whether the promises are or are not from God . . . ? . . .

** The . . . only . . . Catholic Church position . . . you shared with us states that their . . . " … supernatural origin is uncertain" . . . this statement DOES NOT mean in any way that they have been officially found by the Church to be . . . "unfounded" . . . and they have neither been officially . . . approved . . . nor . . . disapproved . . . by the Church . . .

Hope this helps to clear up the misunderstanding . . .

*God bless . . . *

Ok, I understand you. Was it unlawful for that church to distribute these booklets containing the promises (priests are ordinaries, right?) - because honestly, my finding the booklet at the back of this church gave it a lot more validity at first, although these particular promises seemed pretty fantastic and have always raised red flags to me.

Since it is asserted in this pamphlet that God made to St. Bridget certain promises, whose supernatural origin is uncertain, let local ordinaries take care not to grant permission [LIST]*]for *publishing **
]or
reprinting **pamphlets
*]or other writings which contain these promises.
[/LIST]

It is perfectly licit/lawful for a church to make available such material . . . *in so far as I know *. . . as long as they don’t PUBLISH or REPRINT such materials. So any lay company publishing or printing the materials outside the Church Proper . . . can publish and print the materials licitly/legally in-so-far as they comply with copyright law . . .there hasn’t been any condemnation of the actual materials themselves . . . Both the prayers and the promises . . . were published by P. Adrien Parvilliers of the Company of Jesus, Apostolic Missionary of the Holy Land, with approbation, permission and recommendation to distribute them . . . from a book printed in Toulouse . . . in 1740 . . .

Why there is now a warning . . . the Notice to which you referred us . . . simply does not say . . .

**:coffeeread: APPROBATION.

The approbation of such revelations implies nothing more than after mature examination, it is permissible to publish them for the unit of the faithful. Though they don’t merit the same credence as the truths of religion, one can, however, believe them out of human faith, conforming to the rules of prudence by which they are probable, and supported by sufficient motives that one might believe in them piously.
[RIGHT]
- Pope Benedict XV**[/RIGHT]

And please notice . . . the warning you referred us to only deals with the promises . . . **the actual fifteen prayers were approved by Pope Pius IX . . . **

*God bless . . . *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.