Devout Catholic men who spend a lot of time in the Real Presence. Could you please answer these questions?

What do you feel your vocation is and if its the priesthood, is that why you spend a lot of time at the Blessed Sacrament?

If your vocation is or might be marriage, what are you looking for in a wife (besides the fact she should be a devout Catholic?

Were you raised Catholic? If not, how did you discover Catholicism?

How did you discover the Blessed Sacrament (I myself didn’t know about it until maybe 9 yrs ago, though I’m a cradle Catholic) :frowning: (I feel the Cathlic Church is negligent in teaching its members the true Faith…:mad: )

How has Adoration changed your life/ your views on things?

thanks… :heaven:

wow… it’s worse than i thought…

apparently virtually no one spends time with Jesus anymore…

weird…

take it easy. If you don’t see people respond to your post, try to think that most people are in the Chapel. :smiley:

not true… whenever i go There, i am either totally alone or there are only a few (sometimes only one person) there…

no wonder the world is so … satanic… :frowning:

maybe you can answers those questions that you asked, then someone can reply.

What do you feel your vocation is and if its the priesthood, is that why you spend a lot of time at the Blessed Sacrament?

Hello Distracted,

I was going to respond to your question yesterday, but as life would have it I got, well…distracted. Anyway.

I have only spent a little time in front of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. I was told by many that it is a way that we can come closer to the Lord and perhaps find the answers we are seeking when it comes to discerning certain situations. I myself do not know if I am called to the priesthood, but I am planning on spending more time during Lent with our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament to find out. Let’s put it this way, the first time I decided I would go and spend some time with him I was only going to stay there for 15 minutes or so. Well, I spent almost an hour there. It was peaceful. And since there was no one else there, it gave me a chance just to talk to Jesus about what he might have me do concerning single life, marriage, or the priesthood. Now the skies didn’t open up. But I believe that he will continue to reveal himself and his plan to me as long as I remain open and become like a little child.

If your vocation is or might be marriage, what are you looking for in a wife (besides the fact she should be a devout Catholic?

I’m not sure I understand the totality of the question. Do you mean physical appearance? Of course she has to be attractive. But let me clarify that she has to be attractive only to me. I shouldn’t care about what so and so thinks. It is the physical appearance usually for a man that attracts. However, it is who she is that will keep me interested. As far as her being a devout Catholic? Yep, no question. She absolutely has to believe in the teachings of the Church. If not yet, then at least she has to be willing to explore them. If I can’t have that, then I am willing to remain single and celibate the rest of my days on earth.

Were you raised Catholic? If not, how did you discover Catholicism?

I was raised Catholic…kind of. I was baptised, went to Church once in a while, went through Catechism until I was in about 6th grade. I never went on to make my confirmation and then drifted away. In my early twenties, I gave my life to Jesus while attending a “Bible Believing” Church. Through the course of several events over the next 4 years, the Lord brought me home to the Catholic Church. My journey hasn’t been perfect and I have not been without my trips and falls. But, I believe the Lord is faithful. He has given me much grace over the years, even for things I have been praying about for a long long time.

How did you discover the Blessed Sacrament (I myself didn’t know about it until maybe 9 yrs ago, though I’m a cradle Catholic) (I feel the Cathlic Church is negligent in teaching its members the true Faith… )

Well, mostly through hearing from friends. Same with praying the Rosary, which I am trying to pray regularly. I will indeed be spending more time in Adoration. I think it can be a powerful thing. Has the Church been negligent? Well, it may appear so. However, whenever I get to feeling like that I simply remind myself that there are faithful clergy who teach the faith. You may have to search a bit, or do some digging, but when you find them it will make the journey that much more worth it. There are always going to be those in the ministry who water down or candy coat the gospel. But be of good cheer. Jesus has overcome the world and has given authority to the Church. Seek and you shall find. Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

How has Adoration changed your life/ your views on things?

Can only say that the little time that I have spent has helped me to realize that my Catholic Faith is serious business. I can’t be a cafeteria Catholic. It has to be all or nothing. I heard Father John Corapi say a few days ago while watching him on EWTN, “Things are either black or white, the Devil’s favorite color is gray” Me thinks Father John is correct.

I hope you got something from the reply above, that was great.

Sorry that noone else has popped up yet - I guess there are many other means of devotion, adoration might have (sadly) narrowed your field dramatically :slight_smile:

Why is this thread posed only at men?

My vocation is marriage.

[quote=distracted]If your vocation is or might be marriage, what are you looking for in a wife (besides the fact she should be a devout Catholic?
[/quote]

When I chose my wife, I chose her because I knew she would be a good partner for me and be a good mother to my future children.

[quote=distracted]Were you raised Catholic? If not, how did you discover Catholicism?
[/quote]

I was raised Catholic.

[quote=distracted]How did you discover the Blessed Sacrament
[/quote]

My sister mentioned to me that they had 24 hour/7 days a week Eucharistic adoration at the church she attended (they did not offer it at my parish at the time). I decided to go and see what it was all about.

[quote=distracted](I myself didn’t know about it until maybe 9 yrs ago, though I’m a cradle Catholic) :frowning: (I feel the Cathlic Church is negligent in teaching its members the true Faith…:mad: )
[/quote]

Individual parishes are negligent to this powerful experience with Jesus. My sister’s parish has had 24 hour Eucharistic adoration/7 days a week since 1983. My parish has Eucharistic adoration every third Thursday of the month for ten hours. 168 hours of monthly commitment vs. 10 hours per month committment. I talked to our priest about expanding Eucharistic adoration at our parish and he said there weren’t enough people interested to make it work. I also believe the pastor has significant input as to whether Eucharistic adoration will be successful at a parish.

[quote=distracted]How has Adoration changed your life/ your views on things?
[/quote]

When I first started going to Eucharistic adoration, I have to admit I “didn’t get a lot out of it” at first. I didn’t go regularly, but tried to give it a chance. The parish was a good 20 miles away from my house and in the opposite direction of my place of employment so it was a “chore” going.

But then something amazing happened shortly after I started going to adoration - I changed jobs. Coincidentally, my new job was about an hour from my house but the parish that had Eucharistic adoration was on the way. It became easier for me to stop by - even for a few moments to pray. I started to enjoy the peace and quiet. I decided to sign up for a weekly hour of my own when their was an opening. It was a late hour (2am on Mondays) but I enjoyed the peace and quiet of that time slot. Things became more hectic for me with my new job and at home and I decided to quit my hour and perhaps stop going to adoration. Then another amazing thing happened the very same week I resigned my 2am hour - my sister called me to tell me she needed to resign the hour she had (6am Saturdays) and asked if I would take it for her. I decided to take that hour as it fit better with my schedule. I changed jobs again - this time closer to home. Over the last three or four years of going to weekly adoration, I have drawn closer and closer to Jesus and I know He is present in the Eucharist as I feel His presense every time I go. I didn’t feel that presense immediately. The Holy Spirit guided me quite directly to recognize His presense through the seemingly coincidental events that took place.

Prior to me going to adoration I had the same job for almost nine years. Then boom the Holy Spirit started me on a path to visit Jesus more regularly in the Blessed Sacrament and here I am today, more connected to His Real Presense than I ever imagined possible.

Maybe because we, men, are usually “less devotional” than women., or perhaps the OP is a guy and want to know guy’s thoughts about this.

Well, my turn. I do go to an adoration chapel with certain frequency. Have to confess that I have not gone in a few weeks, but it is because I’ve been exploring other kind of prayer styles.

My experience has been fantastic. I did not know about adoration until a few years ago, even though I have been Catholic for all my life. Being closer to solid priests led me to it. Actually I was going for a while to weekly talks that included Benediction some years ago, but I had no idea that that was a form of Adoration. Can you believe that? I thought that it was just a prayer with nice chants and exposed hosts, not thinking if the hosts were consecrated or not. I cannot believe it myself now :slight_smile:

Last year I started to think about a vocation to the priesthood, and I felt a strong call to go to an adoration chapel and be with the Lord in a quiet time. No one told me, it just came as part of my discernment and it has been wonderful. I love being there, in the presence of God with a few other parishioners. It was such a blessing in my life that I decided to be with The Lord in the New Year celebration. I went to Midnight Mass and right after went to the Adoration chapel, and did not miss being in a party at all. The Lord is great.

I think that my call to the priesthood is a strong one and that I will keep going to Adoration chapels, but I am not sure if it will be my primary form of prayer. Lately I have been praying using the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises approach, and wow, they are very powerful. These prayers have helped me a lot to connect with Jesus the Son in a way that Adoration did not. I am so happy that Our Church has so many traditions and ways to get closer to God. And while it would be very difficult to practice all of them, for sure Adoration, together with the Rosary and the Spiritual Exercises are in the top of my list.

May God bless us all.

thank you so much for the replies… I got a lot out of reading them… Now i’ll try to answer some individually but right now, dont have much time…

I’ve been through a lot in my life & without the Real Presence, well… i couldn’t make much sense out of certain things… kind of a long story what i mean… I’m so thankful for the priest who told me about it… even though now i’m so spoiled being with Jesus, i kinda don’t like spending time with pepole much… weird… but then, i always have been un-social… just not as “bad” as i am since finding Jesus in the RP…

I asked this question of men because i feel i don’t understand men’s spirituality very well… As one poster said, men aren’t as… “devotional”? as women… My father was always very quiet about his religion. My mother had to tel me one day that he was religious… I would have never known. Frankly i dont think that is a good way to be, at least not all the time… since the devil works best when good people do nothing… say nothing…

God bless…

I’m so glad you said you chose her for those reasons… I don’t get it when when men focus on looks… ( i don’t look like Angelina Jole…

not that i really want to… .seriously. I appreciate being me, the person God created & He didn’t do too bad a job… :slight_smile: ).

I asked this question because i’ve been alone for many, many years… & was wondering why other women manage to find someone & i never do (I actually “find” many but none work out)… i had this “thing” for someone recently but he turned out to be just like someone i’d (miraculously gotten away from years ago… & i had promised myself i would never go through THAT kind of &&^% stuff again…

anyway, as one poster said, if i can’t find a devout, practicing, lover of the Real Presence i will be celibate for the rest of my life (well, OK, he didn’t say exactly that… but anyhow)…

so… how long did the honeymoon last?

I’ve been on many “honeymoons” even though never married (thought i was “in love”). They usually end after about 3-4 days…

:frowning: :shrug:

this is why i like to spend time There… I have a lot of weird “situations” to deal with… & the weirder thing is that every time i go There, i get something different… It seems that God is revealing some very deep things to me, things i would NEVER have learned had i not been There… A lot of it is… “painful” so i guess that’s why a lot of people don’t spend time There?? I’ve been told the souls in Purgatory are There, with Jesus … and i totally believe that (heard from a reliable source… but don’t recall tht source)… Anyway, i believe a person is in Purgatory while There (@ unexposed Sacrament)… I definitely feel i am in Purg while There… but the longer i stay, the better… I try to stay until i feel the Holy Spirit is telling me its OK to leave… sometimes that is not until several hours have passed. Maybe this is because i still have past sins to expiate or something?? I don’t know… The RP is very mysterious to me… every time i feel i have something about it (HIM) figured out… well… i get mystified all over again… weird but very interesting… The priest who told me about the RP… God bless him… Jesus is the greatest Gift we can be given… although, sadly, most people don’t seem to fully realize that…

“Things are either black or white, the Devil’s favorite color is gray” Me thinks Father John is correct.

that’s a good one… :slight_smile:

Dear friend
I am single and that is my vocation. I am not called to marriage or religious life unless I get a miracle which will not happen.

I found out about adoration a long time ago and made it an integral part of my day and I’ve recently resumed daily visits. I recommend some devotions in this area on my angels website www.heavensmessengers.org you may like.

I love it and I know our Lord loves it when I visit him. It’s a time I can get way from it all and just be with our Lord and relax and talk to him, just look at him, etc for a while.

The church is perfect, it’s some members who aren’t.

The popes are doing their job but we have to read what they write or we won’t know what they say.

God bless:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

this is the way i feel. I feel i will never get married because , for one thing, i’m no spring chicken & it seems marriage is mostly for the young (and the un-damaged). I’ve been through a lot of things, now have ptsd becaue of those things… so it would take an extra special man to be able to deal with me, understand me, accept me… Hope i don’t offend anyone but frankly, i think most men are just not taught now to have compassion & understanding for anyone (besides themselves and they don’t even do that very well). :hypno: :hmmm:

I found out about adoration a long time ago and made it an integral part of my day and I’ve recently resumed daily visits I love it and I know our Lord loves it when I visit him. It’s a time I can get way from it all and just be with our Lord and relax and talk to him, just look at him, etc for a while.

i can relate. There’s nowhere on EArth like it. I just don’t understand why most catholics i know do not avail themselves of this great blessing. I know a lot of the time its because they don’t know about it… I wouldn’t know about it if a priest hadn’t told me while in confession. Why is the Church so … “secretive” about its teachings/gifts? Its kind of scary how Catholicism is being pushed out of society… :eek: :mad: :frowning:

my vocation is being single & probably always will be. I seem to be allergic to men - but also, i know that the primary problem is just that i havne’t found the “right” one… the right one is a devout Cathoilc who puts Jesus 1st… kinda rare…

i can’t recall the other questions i asked… but anyhow…

i was raised Catholic but not taught about the Real Presence or much of anything else… :frowning: …had to teach myself yrs ago… A Protestant (actually a former Catholic, which is worse :shrug: ) is kinda the one “responsible” for getting me to study my faith… though not intentionally for SURE… What happend was that one day she made one too many anti-Catholic remarks & got me kind of :mad: so i decided i should study my faith - so i;'d have a good answer when people asked me why i was Catholic. Something, however, told me that if i studied the Roman Catholic faith, i would uncover “unsavory” things… wasn’t sure what those unsavory things were exactly, but it was a strong feeling. So anyway, I felt this strong sensation of having a serious choice to make and it seems the HS was telling me that either way, I would be OK as long as i stayed committed to Christ (?)… not sure that was God or the devil but in any case, something seemed to be telling me i should study the faith regardless of the pain i felt was ahead of me if i did so…

In spite of all that pain that i DID encounter (“bad” priests, “bad”… as in not-entirely-converted parishioners, persecution from Protestants & the unChristians, etc), I am very glad i made this choice… :slight_smile:

and then i met the priest who told me about the Blessed Sacrament… All the pain and misery i have suffered was “nothing” compared with the value of having Jesus this way - in the Real Presence (Eucharist)… :slight_smile:

Dear Distracted
Catholicism is alive and well. Perhaps you need more than a good parish. There are many lay organisations you can join such as Opus Dei, get involved with the Franciscans or Carmelites etc. Parish life all too often seems to involve the bear minimum for most catholics. If you feel like you want a deeper relationship with our Lord take it to the next step and get involved with one of these groups and adopt their spirituality etc. I’m presuming you haven’t already. Forgive me if I’m wrong. The church has much more to offer than sunday mass. Of course sunday mass is vital but you must look elsewhere if you want to really grow in holiness usually. A little extra is what you need. God bless:)

thanks for the advice & maybe i will take it… but i was kind of :confused: about the part about Sunday Mass… it is more than vital… to me. It is the ultimate… the highest “thing” of all that the Church has…

Daily Mass is the best way, i feel, to grow in holiness… although i know there are other things one can do…

There was some controversy about Opus Dei… Do you know much about that? I can’t recal wht the deal was but seems like some priests and/or bishops were against it for some reason… which doesn’t necessarily mean much since a lot of priests and bishops seem to be against … well, even the Mass… :eek:

:smiley:

Most of the beatup on Opus Dei comes from popular media (and the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown!), who, let’s face it, lack credibility and love beating up the Church. I don’t recall any claims of unorthodoxy or the like from within the Church itself, unless someone else can shed light on this.

So yes I agree, I would recommend getting involved in one of the lay charisms of the Church (there are many… find out which ones are active in your diocese). It sounds like you have quite a profound spiritual life which is a huge blessing. But to come to terms with your situation and discern your vocation I can’t stress enough how helpful it is to be involved in a community of christians that is a little more intimate than the wider parish - which can often be quite transient and difficult to connect with.

The friendships you make can help to reflect your own situation and in turn confirm your own vocation. You’re are also more likely to find others on similar journeys to yourself, both men and women.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.