Devout Saints

I have been attempting to increase my faith as of late, and am wondering if there is a saint out there that I might intercede to, as to help me pray more frequently and with greater fervor? Thanks :getholy:

Well is there any particular thing you want them to relate too? What are you looking for exactly?

I’m looking for a saint that could intercede for me most perfectly because he or she was quite prayerful in their own lives.

I reccomend St. Therese of Liseaux!

-Jeanne

maybe St Aloysius Gonzaga?

St Gemma Galgani?

St Faustina?

hope that helps :slight_smile: I’m sure there are many more…

All saints had great fervor. . but perhaps you might ask St. Philip Neri, a friend of St. Camillus de Lellis. . .

Not that there aren’t many other possibilities for you. .

St. Philip Neri’s heart’s fervor was so great that:

Tried by fierce temptations, diabolical as well as human, he passed through them all unscathed, and the purity of his soul manifested itself in certain striking physical traits. He prayed at first mostly in the church of S. Eustachio, hard by Caccia’s house. Next he took to visiting the Seven Churches. But it was in the catacomb of S. Sebastiano – confounded by early biographers with that of S. Callisto – that he kept the longest vigils and received the most abundant consolations. In this catacomb, a few days before Pentecost in 1544, the well-known miracle of his heart took place. Bacci describes it thus: “While he was with the greatest earnestness asking of the Holy Ghost His gifts, there appeared to him a globe of fire, which entered into his mouth and lodged in his breast; and thereupon he was suddenly surprised with such a fire of love, that, unable to bear it, he threw himself on the ground, and, like one trying to cool himself, bared his breast to temper in some measure the flame which he felt. When he had remained so for sometime, and was a little recovered, he rose up full of unwonted joy, and immediately all his body began to shake with a violent tremour; and putting his hand to his bosom, he felt by the side of his heart, a swelling about as big as a man’s fist, but neither then nor afterwards was it attended with the slightest pain or wound.” The cause of this swelling was discovered by the doctors who examined his body after death. The saint’s heart had been dilated under the sudden impulse of love, and in order that it might have sufficient room to move, two ribs had been broken, and curved in the form of an arch. From the time of the miracle till his death, his heart would palpitate violently whenever he performed any spiritual action.

‘Consider every day that you are then for the first time beginning; and always act with the same fervor as on the first day you began.’

St. Anthony of Padua

I would that every one could understand me, and I am sure that if I could breathe on creatures, the fire of love burning within me would inflame them all with divine desire. O thing most marvelous! So great is my love for God, that beside it all love for the neighbor seems only hypocrisy. I can no longer condescend to creatures, or if I do so, it is only with pain, for to me the world seems only to live in vanity.’

St. Catherine of Genoa

‘O Lord, my God, who will seek You with simple and pure love and not find You are All he desires. . .’

St. John of the Cross

How about St. Dominic? Isn’t there a tradition… which says that the praying of the Holy Rosary became more widespread, through St. Dominic? I think I remember something along those lines.

God bless you! :slight_smile:

I try and pray to St. Therese of Liseaux, St Paul, and St Augustine. I think that as a convert recently St Augustine can teach us a lot.

Try St. Francis of Assisi, Benedict of Nursia, St. Thomas Aquinas or St. Augustine

Great recommendation, sister!

I can’t think of a saint who spent more of her short life in prayer than St. Gemma.

(She is also a stigmatic!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.