DHS allows German home-schooling family to stay in US

From Fox News:
A German home-schooling family facing deportation following the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear their appeal is being allowed to stay in the U.S.

The Department of Homeland Security has granted the family “indefinite deferred status,” their attorney confirmed to Fox News.

That means the Romeike family, who claim the German government is persecuting them because they want to raise their children in accordance with their Christian beliefs, can stay in the United States without the threat of being forced return to their home country, the family’s legal team told Fox News.
This is a late breaking update, as yesterday, it looked like they would be deported.
CNN: Homeschooling family loses asylum appeal

A German family that claims it will be persecuted for homeschooling if sent back, lost its asylum request Monday at the U.S. Supreme Court and could be deported.

(snip)

The Romeikes claimed German authorities threatened to take custody of their children if they did not comply.

(snip)

An immigration judge initially granted their request in 2010 to the Romeikes and their children, saying they were “members of a particular social group” and would be punished for their religious beliefs if returned.

But the Justice Department revoked it last year.
Good for the DHS (I can’t believe I just said that…but if they do the right thing, I’ve got to give credit where due).

I have been following this case. Good for this family. They are being allowed to stay for all the right reasons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.