Diaconate?

Here's what I sent to the vocations director in my diocese...
Since going through the RCIA ca 1996, I have realized that my true calling in this life was to have been a priest… allow a slight digression, please.
Raised a Methodist I read the Bible cover to cover once for every year until I was 16…nobody spoke of vocations in my adopted family. In college in Southern California
I initially majored in Medieval Theology where I was introduced to the likes of St Anselm, Duns Scotus, St Augustine and St John of the Cross as mystics and philosophers.
I eventually graduated from UC Berkeley (1989) with my degree in Mathematics, minoring in Linguistics. By then my annual spiritual tome had become
The Mahabarata…. well, what do you expect? 

Eventually, someone invited me to Mass… during what I learned later is called the epiclesis I actually felt the Presence of God…within 6 months I had joined the RCIA.

The folks in Prescott just laughed when I asked if I could become a priest 15 years ago… of course, they laughed when I had shared my
epiclesis epiphany as well.

Anyway, I am married (to the girl who invited me to Mass!) and still feel I have a vocation in the Church…as an intellectually oriented person
I am desiring to utilize the time I have left (I am 53) in service to His Church in a meaningful way. I understand there is quite a bit of study involved in
training for the diaconate, and just wonder if you would have any clues for a guy like me?

Well, I'm 52 and am just starting the process myself. The diocese sent the paperwork to me last week - it hasn't arrived yet.

In the meantime I've been googling the diaconate, there are some vids on youtube, some docs from different dioceses, but not a lot really.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that there is a schedule, and one would have to wait for the cycle to start again... it's nice to know I am not the only one wanting to do this...

I'd say that your next step is to find out who is in charge of the diaconate and talk to them soon.

You are going to need the support of your priest so talk to him too.

If you are not already a lector and/or Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion I'd also suggest that you get enrolled ASAP.

[quote="sitkamichael, post:1, topic:275973"]
Here's what I sent to the vocations director in my diocese...
Since going through the RCIA ca 1996, I have realized that my true calling in this life was to have been a priest… allow a slight digression, please.
Raised a Methodist I read the Bible cover to cover once for every year until I was 16…nobody spoke of vocations in my adopted family. In college in Southern California
I initially majored in Medieval Theology where I was introduced to the likes of St Anselm, Duns Scotus, St Augustine and St John of the Cross as mystics and philosophers.
I eventually graduated from UC Berkeley (1989) with my degree in Mathematics, minoring in Linguistics. By then my annual spiritual tome had become
The Mahabarata…. well, what do you expect? 

Eventually, someone invited me to Mass… during what I learned later is called the epiclesis I actually felt the Presence of God…within 6 months I had joined the RCIA.

The folks in Prescott just laughed when I asked if I could become a priest 15 years ago… of course, they laughed when I had shared my
epiclesis epiphany as well.

Anyway, I am married (to the girl who invited me to Mass!) and still feel I have a vocation in the Church…as an intellectually oriented person
I am desiring to utilize the time I have left (I am 53) in service to His Church in a meaningful way. I understand there is quite a bit of study involved in
training for the diaconate, and just wonder if you would have any clues for a guy like me?

[/quote]

Hi SM,

I'm a permanent deacon at the archdiocese of Baltimore. I have some comments about vocations. 

The call to deaconate is a very different call to the priesthood. Just because you feel called to one does not qualify you to fall on the other by default. A vocation call goes deeper than just a desire to do something. It is an ontological desire. The best way I can describe it is with my marriage vocation. If I were not married to my wife I would not be whom I am, I would be incomplete. The same as the vocation to be a dad, If I did not have children I would not be whom I am. I recommend you get a spiritual director that would be willing to guide you in this decision and also bring your wife into it. You can not do this without the support of your wife.

One last thought, at the end of the day a vocation is something others see in you, this is why you are "called" by the bishop. Having the desire to become a deacon is not enough. My advice, start praying the liturgy of the hours every day if possible in front of the Blessed Sacrament, trust in the Lord and let Him guide you, if it is his will that you become a deacon there is not force in the universe that can prevent you from reaching this goal, if you trust in Him.

"Viva Cristo Rey!!"

Deacon Harbey Santiago

I am 50, and I have just recently applied for the Diaconate here in our Diocese (in SE Texas). It will not be until later this year that I know if I have been accepted, but I am enjoying the experience and the learning that I have gained so far.

DGB

Dear sitkamichael:

GO FOR IT! First step is to speak to your pastor. God bless you for recognizing “the call”.

Deacon Santiago:
Thank you for your considered reply and advice. I am prayerfully considering whether I should go forward with this; my wife is 100% supportive of this. God is the source of all being, and mine in particular. Discernment is the key here. I will seek a spiritual advisor…

We have a recent group started for deacons and those aspiring to be deacons located here.

forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1321

I would invite anyone who is not a member to join.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.