Diane Sawyer, ABC, & "Pope Joan"

Hi all-

Tonight Diane Sawyer on ABC will be airing a program which regurgitates the old “Pope Joan” myth. For factual backround on this, please see the attached links:

Catholic Encyclopedia "Popess Joan"
newadvent.org/cathen/08407a.htm

Pope Fiction (see Fiction #4)
envoymagazine.com/backissues/2.2/mar_apr98_coverstory.html

Reporter Elizabeth Vargas, now a co-anchor for “ABC World News Tonight,” said the show was being put together “as respectfully as we can,” but it drew criticism from religious leaders, including Joseph De Feo of the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

De Feo noted most of the people interviewed in the program believe the theory either is plausible or are convinced it’s true. “The facts themselves scream out that this is a crackpot theory,” De Feo said.

An excerp from the following:

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48106

ABC must have run out of things to do, usually they don’t start attacking the church until right around Easter.

Shame on ABC for choosing to air programming like this.

[quote=FrankR]ABC must have run out of things to do, usually they don’t start attacking the church until right around Easter.

Shame on ABC for choosing to air programming like this.
[/quote]

No, Christmas is a big time for them too. Basically anytime they think it would be a good time to undermine people’s faith by giving them the “facts.” They’re just a little behind schedule this year.

[quote=Fidelis]They’re just a little behind schedule this year.
[/quote]

No. I am sorry my friend, but you are wrong.

I could not keep count of the trashy “historical” documentaries last week on the discovery, history … etc channels telling us all about the real disciples, the real Jesus, the real mother of Jesus, the real family of Jesus…and on and on.

And now this.

Sorry about the venting, but I have to watch these shows to refute them because my non practicing family members try to use this garbage in their arguments.

So you know what that means, I have to watch that garbage tonight. :banghead:

Peace
Beebs

Same here. If you have to refute this stuff, the first question you always get is “Well, how do you know: Did you even watch it??” I literally forced my way through “The DaVinci Code” and “Left Behind.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Apologists tend to have a lot of self-inflicted suffering to offer up. :wink:

The Catholic League has responded on this issue. I’m going to send an e-mail to ABC Primetime to complain over this. Please, do the same.

You can e-mail them at: abc.news.magazines@abc.com

The Catholic Church, by opposing things like abortion and gay marriage, has brought down the wrath of the mainstream media – who long ago decided that truth is whatever advances their particular causes.

We should expect attacks like this – it’s part of the penalty for standing up for traditional morality.

Watching ABC Primetime now, waiting for the part to come on in sick anticipation.

They have only one reason for putting out this story, take down the Catholic Church, regardless if there is any historical reality behind it (Pope Joan) at all.

I am watching it but take it all with a grain of salt. I know that these things are sensationalistic and that’s what the media thrives on. I do like to see the historical art and scenes of the Holy Land. However, as someone who is new to Catholicism, I revert to the Church teachings and bow to their authority. I do think it doesn’t hurt to know what silly things are being said though as long as I consider the source. I just always keep my mind on what the Church teaches.

Amie

I am truly sorry for you. I watched a few ‘historical’ Jesus documentaries and they turned my stomache. The fact that a small number of theologians (read: The Jesus-Seminar-people or Crossan and Co.) are always included while the vast number of other theologians are ignored shows the media’s love for the provocative and discdain for anything traditional.

well, these boards ate my lengthy post. That’s neat. I appreciate the lost time, CA server. Thanks for signing me out.

Yet the show was more of a waste of time and more frustrating than the now-nonexistent post.

That “documentary” lacked objectivity and journalistic integrity.

The elite is just mad because the countercultural hero Christ instituted an all-male priesthood. They’re so mad that they look right over the power and dignity women possess. Perhaps they should look to the gospel accounts of the crucifixion and see who’s there - one apostle and many women.

As if it was not painful enough just to watch ABC in the first place. What a crock.

Why suggest to your friends and family to watch a wholesome, redeeming film with a pro-life message like Kill Bill.

(yes it is shutup).

I was watching our local ABC station’s broadcast of Primetime to see the Pope Joan treatment, but instead it had stupid “things that happened in 2005” type episode. Wonder if they pulled Pope Joan, or if they’re simply waiting to show it on New Year’s Eve.

CARose

[quote=CARose]I was watching our local ABC station’s broadcast of Primetime to see the Pope Joan treatment, but instead it had stupid “things that happened in 2005” type episode. Wonder if they pulled Pope Joan, or if they’re simply waiting to show it on New Year’s Eve.

CARose
[/quote]

Primetime started at 8:00 Central Time and lasted till 10:00. Joan didn’t start till 9:00.

I watched it last night. It came on PrimeTime at 10 P.M.

Diane Sawyer made the Vatican seem like a dark, corupt organization with tons of dark secrets. At the end of the show she told the viewers to google Pope Joan and thousands of pieces of information would pop up.

The really sad thing is that people that already hate Catholics will watch it and believe it and this just gives them more ammunition. And, those that are considering coming into the Church might reconsider. HOW SAD. I thought there was religious freedom in this country. ABC wouldn’t be able to broadcast anything remotely similar about the Jewish faith.

[quote=vern humphrey]The Catholic Church, by opposing things like abortion and gay marriage, has brought down the wrath of the mainstream media – who long ago decided that truth is whatever advances their particular causes.

We should expect attacks like this – it’s part of the penalty for standing up for traditional morality.
[/quote]

It is better to be stand alone knowing you are right than to sit only because everyone else is sitting.

[quote=willy]It is better to be stand alone knowing you are right than to sit only because everyone else is sitting.
[/quote]

That’s right – and we need a renewal of our martyr traditions.

The part that really irked me wasn’t the factual misrepresentations. Those can be cleared up for people by presenting them with the facts (if they care enough to be bothered with them). The really disgusting part was the sarcasm and cynicism of the “reporters.” They took evident glee in mocking the traditions and teachings of the Church and belittling and smirking at the Vatican responses to their childish inquiries.

On the ABC site they had a preview clip of the program where they threw out all these juicy tid-bits. When the news anchor asked the “reporter” what the Vatican response was to some of these questions, she rolled her eyes back so far in her head that I thought they’d pop out. Her sarcastic and cynical tone was typical of the program (or as much as I could stand to watch). The whole tone of the show was “Well, of course there is not enough evidence to conclusively say there was or was not a “Pope Joan” but since the Catholic Church is so secretive and hopelessly backward and women-hating, it probably is true. And even if it isn’t, aren’t these Catholics and their traditions so silly?”

In other words, same old same old by the Church-hating MSM.

Alright, I caught the program in 5 second incriments as far as I could stand, & I caught that they were trying to say the cover up is partially because the list of Popes at the time (even though there was a 4 year gap between 855 & 859, I guess) AND, that the Popes did not traverse down this one particular road because of some…thing… What was the belief about the alternate route?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.