Diary of St. Faustina

I just bought the Diary, and am about to begin. If you have read this, what do you think? What is the best way to approach this book?

Jon

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

I just started reading it yesterday! :thumbsup: I find it to be a wonderful book so far, such a glimpse into a pure holy soul and a deeper understanding of redemptive suffering. :thumbsup: I already have read Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross, but I could not for the life of me comprehend the book :rolleyes: The words made sense but the meaning/significance/depth was lost on me. However, St. Faustina seems to have lived what St. John of the Cross explained. :confused:

It was recommended to me by a lovely woman at Daily Mass while I was praying my Most Holy Rosary. She had also visited St. Padre Pio’s grave and smelled roses, and she told me to be faithful in the Rosary and to remember that sometimes when it is hard to say, that is a spiritual attack that prayer can take care of :eek: She also re-introduced me to the Divine Mercy chaplet. My spiritual director/confessor says that sometimes advice from others is like candy kisses :heart: from above, so I took it as a possible sign that I had heard so much about this amazing, powerful book for this very here forum and now was also having it urgently recommended to me by a wonderful lady at my church :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m happy to discuss the book with you if you are reading it now, as far as I get along with it. :slight_smile:

I would also strongly recommend True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort and The Secret of the Rosary by the same author. These were followed by His Holiness Pope John Paul II, St. Maximilian Maria, and St. Therese of Liseux.

And the Diary of St. Faustina seems to confirm the importance of devotion to the Eucharist and Immaculate Heart of Mary. St. Louis Mary de Montfort wrote in True Devotion to Mary:

Excerpt from True Devotion 90. A counterfeiter usually makes coins only of gold and silver, rarely of other metals, because these latter would not be worth the trouble. Similarily, the devil leaves other devotions alone and counterfeits mostly those directed to Jesus and Mary, for example, devotion to the Holy Eucharist and to the Blessed Virgin, because these are to other devotions what gold and silver are to other metals.

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

That’s great, Jon. You won’t regret your purchase. I wish I had bought my copy many months before I finally ordered it.

Being an eager beaver to listen to Our Lord, I went through the whole book and read only His words in bold print. Last lent, I began at the beginning and read all of it, word for word.

There are blank pages in the back of the Diary. While I was reading, whenever something struck me very much, I made a quick index of my own in the back and recorded the entry number so I could find it easily when I needed the reference. I am soooo glad I did this, because the Diary’s index is not quite as specific.

Some of my references to a particular topic have several entry numbers, and I can find all of them under my new index. For instance, her continual references to obey her spiritual director are found in 232, 331, 933, 939, 979, 1544, 1561 and 1784.

Enjoy!

You’ll be a little put off at first, because St. Faustina kind of wrote the diary “in the middle”, so to speak. But don’t worry - trust in God and read prayfully. The diary is extremely helpful to any Christian life and it will boost your devotion to the Holy Eucharist.

In St. Faustina’s Diary, at least the part I have read so far :blush: which is not too much, she writes only two poems to the Eucharist and the Blessed Virgin Mary, though she focuses so greatly on the Sacred Heart of Jesus :slight_smile: Great minds think alike :shrug:

1. O Blessed Host, in golden chalice enclosed for me,
    That through the vast wilderness of exile
    I may pass-pure, immaculate, undefiled;
    Oh, grant that through the power of Your love this might come to be.

O Blessed Host, take up Your dwelling within my soul,
O Thou my heart’s purest love!
With Your brilliance the darkness dispel.
Refuse not Your grace to a humble heart.

O Blessed Host, enchantment of all heaven,
Though Your beauty be veiled
And captured in a crumb of bread,
Strong faith tears away that veil.

Immaculate Virgin,
Pure crystal for my heart,
You are my strength, O sturdy anchor!
You are the weak heart’s shield and protection.

Mary you are pure, of purity incomparable;
At once both Virgin and Mother,
You are beautiful as the sun, without blemish,
And your soul is beyond all comparison.

Your beauty has delighted the eye of the Thrice-Holy One.
He descended from heaven, leaving His eternal throne,
And took Body and Blood of your heart
And for nine months lay hidden in a Virgin’s Heart.

O Mother, Virgin, purest of all lilies,
Your heart was Jesus’ first tabernacle on earth.
Only because no humility was deeper than yours
Were you raised above the choirs of Angels and above all Saints.

O Mary, my sweet Mother,
I give you my soul, my body and my poor heart.
Be the guardian of my life,
Especially at the hour of death, in the final strife.

I think devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary is so important because the Sacred Heart of Jesus accepts pure souls and the Immaculate Heart of Mary helps to give one virtue (as Mediatrix of all graces full of grace) so that one can grow in purity :heart: :slight_smile: :smiley: :heart:

Pope John Paul II was such an amazing pope and he added the Luminous Myteries to the Most Holy Rosary and prayed 5-6 hours a day :eek: St. Padre Pio, who said, “The Rosary is The WEAPON”, said as many as 90 rosaries a day in a special form for which he received ecclesiastical permission. Father Thomas Euteneur, President of Human Life International, cites this in The Rosary Batters the Gates of Hell hli.org/sl_2008-10-03.html

Free information on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament
http://louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx

True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

For hungry souls: :thumbsup: *Diary of St. Faustina: Divine Mercy in My Soul * saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS5.shtml May the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary bless you Eucharisted for posting this link in another thread :slight_smile: :smiley: :heart: :thumbsup: :slight_smile: :smiley:

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Jesus, I trust in you! May the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary glorify himself greatly through us!! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! Jesus, I trust in you! May the Holy Spirit through the Immaculate Heart of Mary grace us with the gifts of the Holy Spirit that we most despeartely need! Jesus, I trust in you! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

I’ve not read the whole diary because, for me, it’s hard to read. I just read in bits and pieces and usually when I do, I come away with something very benefitcal to my soul.

Worth it…but take your time. At first I thought St. Faustina was absolutely CRAZY … then I had to really look at the meat of each part that I was reading.

Remember bits and pieces, don’t overwhelm yourself.

Dear Jon,

It would be a shame to see this thread die after you receive a few recommendations from us on the book. Since the title is one that many would possibly do a search on in future months/years, how do you feel about extending the topic to include sharing our favorite verses from the Diary?

This thread would go well over 1000 posts if that was permitted.

Heck I’d probably contribute about 999 of those posts! :smiley:

Heck I’d probably contribute about 999 of those posts!

:extrahappy: I hear you, Eucharisted!

Maybe it’s better to say nothing. That way, folks will have to buy the book and see for themselves. :wink:

This book is #1 on my Christmas list. My friend has been ordering me to read it for half a year or so. I have read a few passages online- I love it! Its such an inspiration to persevere in my relationship with Christ, regardless of how horribly I’d rather not. ANd some of the things Christ says in it-:bighanky:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.