Did Adam and Eve have the oppertunity of repentance?

This may have already been discussed, but I did not come up with anything in doing a search.

I do not believe so because I believe that their sin left a ‘semipermanent’ stain that invalidated repentance, but I have no proof. We know that the stain of their sin had to await the Messiah, so we can only infer the ‘semipermanent’ stain.

LOVE! :slight_smile:

After their fall and banishment from the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve lived hundreds of years before they died, so yes they had the opportunity for repentence. God also promised them and their descendants a redeemer.

I’m a little confused because Judaism does not espouse original sin, yet the passage is from the Book of Genesis. Can you reconcile this for me, please? Or, is the redemption simply applied to their banishment, and not sin per se?

The commentary of the Jewish Publication Society on the Torah: Genesis discusses this very point.

The focus is what is going on when God is searching for Adam and Eve and says “where are you?”

That, they say, was the opportunity for regret and remorse and repentance, which didn’t happen.

Of course, in the Jewish viewpoint, the entire Torah was written thousands of years before God created the world, so this makes it seem like it was foreordained that they wouldn’t repent, and that is perhaps part of the overall outcome of the incident.

For sure, it’s been a couple years since I read that commentary, so if I’ve misstated anything, I’m still sure that that was the moment of opportunity for repentance. But, you’re right on target, about asking the question.

Catholicism teaches that the Divine Revelation found in the first three chapters of Genesis is meant for all people. All means that it is not necessary to reconcile one group with another group even when one group does not interpret the first three chapters of Genesis in the light of Jesus Christ. (Romans 5: 12-21; 1 Corinthians 15: 21-22)

For example. Genesis 1: 1 is professed in the Creed used at Sunday Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Genesis 1: 26 is the basis for teachings found in paragraphs 355-357 and 1730-1732 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition. Genesis 2: 15 outlines the seriousness of Original Sin. Genesis 3: 15 is called the* Protoevangelium* (“first gospel”) which is the first announcement of the Messiah and Redeemer and the final victory. (Source. CCC, 410-411)

Because of the unity of humankind, all people, starting with Adam and Eve, are implicated in Adam’s Original Sin, that is, Adam’s loss of his state of original holiness and justice not only affected him and Eve but also their descendants. Descendants contracted the state of deprivation of original holiness and justice. Baptism, by imparting the life of Christ’s grace, erases the contracted state of deprivation and gives us the new life of Sanctifying Grace. (Source. CCC, 404-405)

Links to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition
scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/

I think if they had repented straight away then maybe God would have cleansed them (from original sin) and allowed them to continue living there. They would probably have repented at some point in their lives, I couldn’t imagine living in this world as the first people after experiencing the Garden of Eden. I guess their lives was their Purgatory.

=Robert Sock;11868914]This may have already been discussed, but I did not come up with anything in doing a search.

I do not believe so because I believe that their sin left a ‘semipermanent’ stain that invalidated repentance, but I have no proof. We know that the stain of their sin had to await the Messiah, so we can only infer the ‘semipermanent’ stain.

Dear friend Robert,

I disagree with your logic here.

Both Adam and Eve were given specific puhishments by God; in order for them to take effect HAD to take some time; certainly sufficient to repent:thumbsup:

Gen. 3: 16-20 “To the woman also he said: I will multiply thy sorrows, and thy conceptions: in sorrow shalt thou bring forth children, and thou shalt be under thy husband’ s power, and he shall have dominion over thee. ** And to Adam he said: **Because thou hast hearkened to the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldst not eat, cursed is the earth in thy work; with labour and toil shalt thou eat thereof all the days of thy life. Thorns and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herbs of the earth. In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth, out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return. [20] And Adam called the name of his wife Eve: because she was the mother of all the living”

God Bless you
Patrick

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Nice job consolidating this useful information!

FYI, not only did they have an opportunity, they took that opportunity.

They are recognized as Catholic Saints, their Feast Day is Dec 24.

Anastasis/Resurrection iconography shows Adam and Eve as the first two People Jesus pulls out of Sheol.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_B3c3J34D_oM/S8IhAidjBxI/AAAAAAAAAcU/QVVTSyMoQCo/s1600/anastasis.jpg

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That pretty much covers it?

I would say, yes, because the first promise was made to Eve; and, when she gave birth to Cain, it was with the hope that he was the Messiah. Also, God told Adam that it was for His sake that He would work the fields with difficulty. When Cain killed Abel, God gave Adam another son, Seth, to continue the promise.

I looked on my Catholic calendar and I didn’t see their name on Dec. 24 as a feast day. What am I missing?:confused:
Thanks

I don’t think you will find any for the OT saints.

Thanks.

I don’t recall them being called saints years ago when I was taught by the nuns.

I don’t think they we’re ready to repent. Otherwise it would’ve happened immediately. Humankind needed time spent in the pigsty of a life lived effectively separated from God, where evil was subsequently experienced-or known-along with the inherent goodness and beauty of God’s creation, so that he might learn to run, like the Prodigal Son, back to the Father, the ultimate good, once He’s been revealed. This is sometimes referred to as “salvation history”, finally fulfilled and consummated in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Through Him man may eat of the Tree of Life again, and live.

Maybe they repented when Seth was born?

The Orthodox Churches commemorate, so I read in a book by the Rev’d. Professor Fr. Andrew Louth, Adam’s repentance on the Sunday before their Great Lent. Some of the prayers speak in Adam’s voice:

The Lord my Creator, taking dust from the earth, formed me into a living creature, breathing into me the breath of life and giving me a soul; He honoured me as ruler on earth over all things visible, making me a companion of the angels. But Satan the deceiver, using the serpent as his instrument, enticed me by food, parted me from the glory of God and gave me over to the earth and the lowest depths of death. But, as Master and compassionate, call me back again.

O precious paradise, unsurpassed in beauty, tabernacle built by God, unending gladness and delight, glory of the righteous, joy of the prophets, and dwelling of the saints, with the sound of your leaves pray to the Maker of all: may he open to me the gates which I closed by my transgression, and may He count me worthy to partake of the Tree of Life and of the joy which was mine when I dwelt in you beforehand.

Adam was banished from paradise through disobedience and cast out from delight, beguiled by the words of a woman. Naked he sat outside the garden, lamenting ‘Woe is me!’ Therefore le us all make haste to accept the season of the Fast, observing the traditions of the Gospel, that we may in all things be well pleasing to Christ and receive once more a dwelling-place in paradise.

[Adam speaks again] I lament, I groan, I weep as I look upon the cherubim with the sword of fire set to guard the gate of Eden against all transgressors. Woe is me! I cannot enter unless You, O Saviour, grant me unhindered approach.

O Christ, my Saviour, boldly I put my trust in the abundance of your mercies and in the blood that flowed from your divine side; for through your blood you sanctified the nature of mortal man, O loving Lord, and opened to those that worship you the gates of paradise that of old were closed to Adam.

Source: A. Louth, *Introducing Eastern Orthodox Theology *(London: SPCK, 2013), pp. 79-80.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.